aberdeen-music

building a guitar from scratch, what do y'all think?

framheim

you wanna see some funky custom guitars check out the ones the guys from the misfits made, the annihilator and devistator i think is the base not too sure, are very very cool. heheh skulls and what not on the top of the neck, gonna go find a link...

http://members.attcanada.ca/~talus/kryst/armoury.htm this is the annihilator

http://members.attcanada.ca/~talus/kryst/devastator.htm

devastator.

Not very good pictures but you get the idea. Are yours going to be this insanely custom?

I've been discovering the joy of guitar wiring and it's not as scary as it seems, when i first got my guitars i didn't even want to open them up incase i broke something - now i routinely take them completely appart and check that everything's still cool - even do a spot of light soldering.

I bought an old tele from our very own favourite Greame C with hopes of turning it into an onion-esque guitar but the thought of stripping, painting, re-varnishing and all the rest was just too much. Jeid built a guitar not too dis-similar from Tav's one - took him a fair while or so i believe but it looks cool as fudge....

i am currently trying to think up anything interesting to do with my old strat...

i rewired it last week, so instead of having a 5 way, one volume, and two tone controls, it has three volumes (one for each pickup) and a kill switch

took me a while, as i did some of it wrongly first try, then when i got it fixed i found out the way i had wired it up wouldnt work anyway... so had to redo some of it

its all working now, the knobs are working backwards (which dosent bother me at all) and i forgot to ground the 'killed' positions on the kill switch, so it hums slightly. but nothing dangerous, so i will fix it next time i change the strings if i remember.

im not sure how, but replacing the pots and rewiring it has made a drastic difference in the sound, for the better...

David

Originally posted by Tav:

Why would you want 3 volume controls <puzzled>

Originally posted by David:

it has three volumes (one for each pickup)

Probably so you could manipulate your sone to the maximum - most 3 pickup guitar's (corect me if i'm wrong) have either a 5-way selector, or one tone knob that goes from full on neck through to full on bridge pickups.

With three volume controls, one for each pickup, you could fully create a tone using all three pickups - all at different levels bringing a personalised tone to the next level - that's my assumption anyway....

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass:

Probably so you could manipulate your sone to the maximum - most 3 pickup guitar's (corect me if i'm wrong) have either a 5-way selector, or one tone knob that goes from full on neck through to full on bridge pickups.

With three volume controls, one for each pickup, you could fully create a tone using all three pickups - all at different levels bringing a personalised tone to the next level - that's my assumption anyway....

That sounds better than being a ninja with levitation powers. SERIOUSLY!

But there's only so many combinations you can have before it becomes awkward to switch between them. Keeping it simple is the way to go when it comes to pick up selection...well unless you are sitting in a studio and have time to endlessly fiddle with settings.

the reason i have three volume swas mainly looking for something interesting to do with the controls... then i cam up with the idea fo three volumes and it sounded kinda cool

its just so i can make up my own combinations of pickups, before i could only get certain combinations, so now i can pick and choose whatever i like, like having the bridge and neck ones on at the same time, or the bridge amd middle with *some* bridge pickup added

a slice of cheesecake to paul for getting it right

David

ok. I have been doing some research and im gonna build my own jazz bass. ive been searching through warmoth. i cant decide what kind of wood to go for yet. It will have a thin jazz bass neck wit block inlays, natural wood finish, pickups (thinking towards music man pickup but not sure), hip shot whammy bar

i started to make a classical guitar as my standard grade craft and design project.i didnt really finish it as all i got done was the neck shaped and a side shaped.you will need loads of time to make your guitar.but if you get it made you will be very proud of yourself unlike myself.

i like that idea.

surely its just the same as a les paul type system, when you have the toggle swich in the middle, except with 3 pickups instead of 2?

also my mates warwick bass works in this way...its great as you can drastically alter the tone my mixing the pickups in different ways.