aberdeen-music

building a guitar from scratch, what do y'all think?

framheim

anyone done it before? anyone got any tips? is it worth doing? does it make sound financial sense? are there any websites that people would recommend for buying parts? where's best to start?

obivously i'm not going to be actually building it from scratch from a block of wood, but i'm considering doing a full custom job bit by bit. really keen to hear what peoples thoughts are about this in general though, not just relating to what i want to do. i think it could be an interesting topic.

I personally think it is a great idea. I doubt whether the finished article would be any cheaper than a bought one of the same quality though...

There's also the possibilty that it may go really wrong...

I'd love to do it, but for someone who knows a hell of a lot about playing the instrument - I know absolutely jack shit ABOUT the instrument.

I reckon it will cost you quite a lot of money and a lot of effort but if you have said resources then go for it Dave!

I'd be interested to see what you'd come up with. (i.e. Neck/body shape/pick ups)

i'm planning it as a long term project cause im pretty skint so it's just a way to get a great guitar bit by bit without a huge initial payout. just thinking about it just now hence i need all the advice i can get plus it's a great way to learn more about guitars. i'm also keen to work on building pedals but that's another project all together.

my imagination's kinda running wild at the moment, i could end up with the wierdest looking guitar around.

I am currently studying making guitars in my spare time and I am going to start building in summer. I am doing a Fender Tele caster style body as it is a nice easy start. I am going to try and incorporate some interesting features into the guitar as well...have to see how it goes. I am buying a neck from www.warmoth.com or www.stewmac.com as this requires a lot more skill to create. Both of those sites should do you for putting together a guitar. They have necks/bodies/hardware...everything! Financially I would say that it prob. costs more to do it from scratch but if you are looking to just put together then warmoth is very competative with big manfacturers/custom builders.

As for getting your designs together try http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaee1.asp a flash based guitar designing site that lets you put a combination of features together to see what it turns out like...very cool!

On the reading sides of things there are two books which go a long way in showing you what needs to be done. "Building Electric Guitars: How to Make Solid-body, Hollow-body and Semi-acoustic Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars" by Martain Kotch can be found here http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/3901314075/qid=1082560550/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/202-3254123-2368658 and "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock which can be foudn here http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-3254123-2368658 I would recommend you buy both and cross reference information but if it is only one you want then I should think the second one would be better. All very clear with A LOT of information and pictures. This will really help you expand your knowledge on guitars.

If you are interested in finding plans for making guitars I can put you in touch with some one who sells through EBay. Each set of plans contains 3 A2 size sheets with all that you need. They have Tele, Strat, Les Paul, SG, P Pass amoung others...

As for the making your own pedals I too am starting to do this. I have a wide variety of schematics <lots of overdrive/distortion, chorus, flanger, EQ, by pass, switching, wah, volume etc etc> and some great reading on the subject. For this you need a good understanding of anolouge electronics <maily op amps, transistors and other such components>, the ability to solder and the ability to make some PCB's <printed circuit boards> although all of that can be learnt quite quickly. If you are interested in looking at some schematics drop me a PM or add me to msn cold_spoon@hotmail.com. I also have the address of a good parts supplier who have all of the components you would need.

If you'd mentioned building amps/valve amps I could have provided schematics/sites on that as well. Another thing I am looking into.

jesus!! that's a whole load of info you got there :) thanks very much for the help i'll check those sites out this week and probably order one of the books.

so are you actually doing the body yourself as well? braver man than i. i was planning on buying a neck and a body then working from there. have to disagree with your reasoning for the tele body though, surely it's because they're the most beautiful guitars built by man or beast? :)

Hmmmm, considering I don't know a damn thing about electronics, joining stuff together or anything like that this kind of project just isn't for me - however, I admire anyone willing to put this kind of commitment into building their own instrument. Imagine how cool it will be to be able to say to people "I built my guitar"

Good luck man!

Originally posted by daveofficer:

jesus!! that's a whole load of info you got there :) thanks very much for the help i'll check those sites out this week and probably order one of the books.

so are you actually doing the body yourself as well? braver man than i. i was planning on buying a neck and a body then working from there. have to disagree with your reasoning for the tele body though, surely it's because they're the most beautiful guitars built by man or beast? :)

Well the shape is rather attractive yes and I have always wanted one. Here's my planned design below. I was tempted to start like you are but I don't have the money to do both so I am going straight in. Lucky I have access to the right tools. Let me know how your building gets on and if you have any cool info to share or if you need any let me know.

68Thin%20Line%20Maple%20Neck.bmp

The main things that would be really hard to do when building a guitar from scratch are making the neck (because it has to be PERFECT also fretting yaddy ya is VERY hard to do properly ....trust me ;):p ) and getting the neck joint in the body strait.

If your planning on buying these parts there shouldnt be much chance of a disaster :)

Well it's the Scratchplate from '68 Thin Line I think? Then I added some bits n bobs I like on other teles. For example the chromed humbucker though the model I used is a PAF ala Gibson but the Tele has a bigger one did it not? It's a cross between a 68 and a 72 with Gibson control knobs, jack and 3 way toggle. Ofcourse a Bigsby looks the shit on just about anything. Teles are the bomb!

Originally posted by Tav:

Well it's the Scratchplate from '68 Thin Line I think? Then I added some bits n bobs I like on other teles. For example the chromed humbucker though the model I used is a PAF ala Gibson but the Tele has a bigger one did it not? It's a cross between a 68 and a 72 with Gibson control knobs, jack and 3 way toggle. Ofcourse a Bigsby looks the shit on just about anything. Teles are the bomb!

yes. very true. is the scrathplate from the thin line.

and yeh. the '72 custom had a quite a huge humbucker in the neck position.

looks great. you'll need to post photos of it once it's finished.

i just got hold of a cheapish japanese les paul copy (thats actually better qual than most modern Gibsons) and am basically stipping all the hardware including pickups and tone/vol pots capacitors, wiring, evrything really and replacing with various vintage parts from ebay....its not really gonna be full blown Betamax custom les paul, but it'll be as near as I get unless I start playing the fucking lottery again soon

ive gone for an odd combination of lo-gain thin sounding style pickups that should interact with me wierd fuzz peds better than the hi output pickups that just compress everything and make the Les Paul a bit brighter sounding

the basic idea is for it sound as good as a les paul copy can possibly sound and make it look as much like Steve Jones' (pistols) guitar as I can (how sad......)

A bit of trial and error will be involved but hopefully in month from now ill be throwing Steve Jones poses in me bedroom mirror (with a hanky on me head......sad cunt)

Originally posted by Monk Rocker:

I once built a flying-V out of a telecaster. It had wires hanging out of it, so I covered it in red sticky back plastic and swapped it for a skateboard and a Whitesnake album.

All this happened in 1986.

Hahaha, where were the wires hanging out?

You don't want one of those! Aluminum is prone to changing shape in varrying temperture so you'll end up with a less that desirable bow in your neck! The only company I know who recently made those are Hartke bass company and that was extruded aircraft aluminium in a T shape with a wood cover. There was a company who made aluminium gutiars but they didn't sell due to their cold metallic sound and the problem I mention before.

lots of companies made aluminium guitar necked guitars. travis bean being the most popular. incredible sustain. they warp less than wood as well apparently, according to a few websites i've looked at anyhow. just interested in keeping my options open. shellac, jesus lizard, oxes, godspeed you black emperor have all used travis bean guitars.

i like the idea of a tele body with an aluminium neck, just can't find a company that make them seperately.