aberdeen-music

Need advice on new guitar...

imprinted

It's a few months away yet but I'm looking up new guitars in the sub 550 bracket and i'm unsure what guitar to get.

i primarily play metal stuff so a humbucker in the bridge at least is essential and i'd prefer it not to have a floyd rose on it as i wouldn't use it and i prefer to alter my tunings a lot!

however i am looking into seven string guitars and seen an ibanez with a floyd rose - seeing as it has the extra low b string i wouldn't need to change the tunings at all so the Floyd wouldn't be in the way there:

here's what I've been looking at so far:

schecter c1 elite c1_elite_blk_pop-9b48bad5b3ff8fc2c68c11f18f1224df.jpg

parker fly p40 3202.jpg

ibanez rg1570 7050.jpg

ibanez rg1527 7049.jpg

washburn x50 x50_blue.jpg

maverick f1 hard tail f1-fixed-grey-160.jpg

i know there's a fair bit of variety there but i'm wanting to see if there's anything else which could take my fancy...

plus has anyone played a parker fly and how useful are the piezo bridges?

As an alternative to the RG Ibanez look at the RG by Yamaha. My dad recently bought one. It has some well rounded and powerful humbuckers so it's great for metal and warm rythmns. Also there is a switch that when flicked puts the bridge pickups out put straight out by passing the tone and volume controls for some searing tones. Add to this Yamaha's famous quality construction and you've got a great guitar for the money, also available in a longer scale length bariton version for lower tunings. www.yamaha.co.uk check it out!

Another great guitar that can be had for 399 <with a 100 gig bag for free in most cases> is the PRS Santana SE 2. You would want the hard tail version I suspect. I bought one of these a few months ago. I tried HEAPS of guitars and speant 3 to 4 hours in Sound control in Dundee trying their stock and this one was the clear winner. I've played the Ibanez's, Schecters and the Parker Fly and none came close for playability. The humbuckers handle a wide variety of sounds from funky chops to full tilt distortion.

Main thing to do is try all the guitars you mentioned and buy the one that feels the best. As for piezio if you need to swap between acoustic and electric sounds mid-song it will prove very useful. Other wise it will be a cool gimmick you may occasionally use.

7 strings you say?

Then you might want to have a look at an Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7 string, Translucent black.

It looks the part, I dunno how it plays though. You can pick one up in the shops for 460 or go to piedog.com and get it at a much reduced rate of 345 with free delivery.

Nah, it would be like learning how to play an Open tuning, if you have only ever played with a standard E tuning. Just a bit of getting used too.

How about, Jackson, BC Rich or Dean?

A lot of folk slate BC Riches but I always say that mine is the heaviest guitar i have ever played!