aberdeen-music

Laptop buying advice

Chris

Guest DustyDeviada
It needs to conform to the minimum HD picture resolution requirement (1280x720) and support either HDMI or DV-I.

So, does that mean you can add an HD-DVD or Blue ray drive to it at some point?

So, does that mean you can add an HD-DVD or Blue ray drive to it at some point?

No, it wouldn't support an HD-DVD or Blue Ray drive. That would require a complete motherboard upgrade, which i don't think is commercially available.

His computer will be capable of showing an HD picture downloaded (purely because it's capable of displaying a minimum of 1280x720) online but it won't be capable of outputting an HD signal to another item, i.e a TV unless it had a DV-I or HDMI output and an equivalent input on said TV. Seen as though most laptops only support S-VGA or S-Video (which don't transfer enough picture information to support an HD signal/picture) outputs at the moment, i think that would be most unlikely in this case.

It's very confusing because the lines of what is and isn't HD Ready are pretty blurred.

Been having a look around, what do people think about this one:

http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e=88E92CFE-7A28-4EE6-8930-2FBA6CF0B3F1

100 cheaper and better specced than the equivilent dell with a 3 year warranty (1 year on site + 2 year RTB).

Anyone dealt with Evesham before for systems?

Two of my flatmates have eveshams (1 desktop 1 laptop) and have had no problems. The folk in the shop in Glasgow are pretty helpful too (i know that doesnt really affect you).

Personally I vote mac but evesham is a good company from all reports ive seen.

Don't get DaveOfficer started about Acer laptops. :p

yea, acer's customer service is atrocious. worst company i've ever dealt with. the laptop's okay though.

if anyone wants to make a reasonable offer for mine i'm thinking of selling it :)

p4 2.8ghz processor

40gb hard drive

ati radeon graphics

512mb ram

and more ports than you can shake a stick at

• 4 weeks later...
Been having a look around, what do people think about this one:

http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e=88E92CFE-7A28-4EE6-8930-2FBA6CF0B3F1

100 cheaper and better specced than the equivilent dell with a 3 year warranty (1 year on site + 2 year RTB).

Anyone dealt with Evesham before for systems?

hi ho,

been looking around too and think i might be going for this option paying in 2008 (before the interest repayment thing kicks in obviously:)

Seen any better ones with the same warranties?

Acer Aspire 5683WLMi Laptop LX.AFQ0X.023 From Acer Notebooks - Acer Laptops in the UK

this one only has a year long warranty but looks good

I know there is no interest in a Macbook, shame, but my new one is a doozy and 120+off from the refurb section of the apple site. Big savings to be had there and all things as new with the usual Apple after care etc.

My wee Macbook has more juice than my bleeding G5 now. Time to upgrade the tower methinks

Just a passing observation.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Though I have no real knowledge of what's hot in the consumer laptop market (I have better things to spend my money on, to be honest) my general laptop buying advice is simply to reconsider whether or not you need a laptop rather than a desktop. Almost everybody I know who owns a laptop uses it at home, often in a stationary position. Why pay 3 x the price for a computer with compromised spec if it's just going to sit on a desk like a regular PC?

Though I have no real knowledge of what's hot in the consumer laptop market (I have better things to spend my money on, to be honest) my general laptop buying advice is simply to reconsider whether or not you need a laptop rather than a desktop. Almost everybody I know who owns a laptop uses it at home, often in a stationary position. Why pay 3 x the price for a computer with compromised spec if it's just going to sit on a desk like a regular PC?

Because it will fit on my coffee table and I can get rid of the large computer desk that's currently occupying a third of my living room. Also I no longer play much new games so have no real need for the same amount of power.

• 3 weeks later...

that Acer Lee bought did look well specced for the price but I just couldn't get over the bad experience my brother had with them.

Gone for this:

http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e=8CCA2494-EB3C-4FF9-8A0E-8D673479D629

Upgraded a few of the components (processor and hard drive) so it should be pretty decent. Got some good reviews and they've got an excellent reputation. The real clincher was the 3 year warranty (1 year on site, 2 years return to base).

• 1 month later...
that Acer Lee bought did look well specced for the price but I just couldn't get over the bad experience my brother had with them.

Gone for this:

http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e=8CCA2494-EB3C-4FF9-8A0E-8D673479D629

Upgraded a few of the components (processor and hard drive) so it should be pretty decent. Got some good reviews and they've got an excellent reputation. The real clincher was the 3 year warranty (1 year on site, 2 years return to base).

How are you getting on with your new laptop?

I'm thinking about buying one from Evesham, so just wondering how other folk rate them first.

It's great. It arrived sooner than I expected it to (the courier sent a text saying when it was being delivered though so that was fine) and I haven't had any major problems with it at all.

The battery life is poor, but I knew that when I bought it so if you're going to be using it a lot on the move you may want to look at that. Aside from that it all works as expected.

It's been getting some heavy use as well. 6 or 7 hour sessions on Oblivion as well as torrent downloads and general usage and it's coped fine.

Dells customers service may be rubbish, but when my old man bought one and had it shipped to his house in the channel islands. They sent TWO!!

Not the only time I've heard of Dell doing that. They've also sent better specced machines than ordered as well. The downside is this usually means someone either doesn't get the computer they ordered or they get the wrong one.