aberdeen-music

Nine Inch Nails

Sky

Bleedthrough is "more song-oriented [than 1999's The Fragile]," says Reznor. "It's much more lean. It's going to be twelve good punches in the faceno fillers, no instrumentals, just straight to the point." (source)

Am I the only one who notices the seeming contradiction in Trent Reznor's above remark to Rolling Stone when held up against his remarks to Kerrang! in the a January, 2002 interview where he said that, "When I'm asked what do I think of a lot of the nu-metal bands that are out there, my response is that it seems really insincere to me. 'I've had a really shitty childhood and I'm really upset and I'm really ugly and I've put a lot of make-up on and I'm harder and faster and my voice sounds more like the cookie monster's than yours does'. To me it all comes across as being comical, as being a parody of itself." (source)

He also said something along the lines that it's harder to create intensity through restraint, and that repeated beatings lead to numbness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do "twelve good punches to the face" not seem unrestrained? Or am I merely picking apart what he's saying?

That said, I'm eagerly anticipating Bleedthrough.

i remember when i first heard the fragile, i couldnt go back and listen to the downward spiral for a few months because it kept sounding dated, terrible in comparison. i never thought downward spiral would ever sound old, but it did.

im hoping this new album has the same effect.

downward spiral is still my favourite though.

im pretty sure nin will always have teenage angst lyrics.

i hate pretty hate machine though, dont mind the songs, but cant get past the whole 'one man and his bontempi keyboard' theme.

Originally posted by Sky:

Bleedthrough is "more song-oriented [than 1999's The Fragile]," says Reznor. "It's much more lean. It's going to be twelve good punches in the faceno fillers, no instrumentals, just straight to the point." (source)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do "twelve good punches to the face" not seem unrestrained? Or am I merely picking apart what he's saying?

That said, I'm eagerly anticipating Bleedthrough.

I see what you mean, but the word 'lean' makes me think that its going to be pretty efficient in terms of its impact without all the ornamentation.

What I'm trying to say is that while Limp Bizkit would shout about their reasons for hitting you (probably that daddy never hugged them or something), then postulate about how many times they may in fact hit you, then stop for a photo shoot of the threatening, then ask you to stand still, and then scream that actually they're not going to hit because they're far too big to have to, and then shout and grimace a bit more for good measure before reminding you that actually daddy didnt love them, and then finally leave in 4 angry white limos, NIN will simply walk up to you and hit you with 12 hard punches in quick succession before leaving.

Originally posted by Sky:

I think he was referring more to a boxing metaphor, concise, to the point "getting the job done"...not just indiscriminate random violence (not that I think boxing is much fun!)...

anyway, Reznor (I feel) used to parp on about the very things he was saying about "I had a bad childhood" etc...they are all full of shit, if you are selling albums by the truckload, have thousands (nee millions) of money in the bank, you are going to be in the most comfortable position anyone could ever be in, as we all know that you can't do much in this world "without" money...cold hard fact.

so all these multi million selling artists should shut the fuck up about "hardship" and "struggle".

blah blah