aberdeen-music

[GIG] Miss The Occupier + Lorenzo Snow Collective + Kartta @ The Moorings Bar

Looking forward to seeing Lorenzo on the moorings stage, their sound has been expanding and expanding greatly of late and a tighter stage should be good. They are another example of a trio knowing, experientially, dynamics and tune smithery.

Oh, and Roz from Miss the Occupier pleases my eyes! Much more so than the beady chap from LSC... :love:

experientially? o_O

i am looking forward to lorenzo alot. they always please my ears.

we had another practice tonight and actually might pull this one off, or at least it won't fall apart at the seams. (famous last words)

although my fingers really hurt after two practices in a row when i haven't played for a month. doh.

experientially? o_O

i am looking forward to lorenzo alot. they always please my ears.

we had another practice tonight and actually might pull this one off, or at least it won't fall apart at the seams. (famous last words)

although my fingers really hurt after two practices in a row when i haven't played for a month. doh.

Got me there. The word I intended to use, and ended up elsewhere and less appropriate, ask my 9 yr old, was 'empirically'. Although both work the latter was intended...

:dunce:

Guest bluesxman
me, we showed you it on wednesday remember? i have sent brian a pm.

I didn't know where the bit of paper had come from on Wednesday, just wanted to make sure someone had received it....

well that went a lot better than we expected it to. i thought we were a little shoddier than we have been in the past(well, i certainly hit a few bum notes) but overall we got nothing but a positive response from everyone which was cool.

best bit was phil from lorenzo complaining about having to follow us then playing an amazing set and blowing us off stage! they were the band of the night i thought. great dark songs sometimes sounding like neil young and sometimes sounding like jason molina. which is just my cup of tea. :D

miss the occupier were pretty good again, though i do suspect many of the men were just waiting for roz to pop out of here very low cut dress. ;) still, great sound and a good lively set.

all reports are that the sound was great, so thumbs up to the moorings for that one. we were a little worried about it because of the no sound check thing and we weren't sure if the moorings would know what to do with our rag tag bunch of instruments and players. can't imagine they get too many glockenspiels down there but it turned out great. flash and mark were very helpful and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. hurrah!

It was a really good gig last night, I thought all the bands were really cool.

Miss the Occupier's performance was very energetic, which I think helped the songs. Lorenzo Snow Collective had the same feeling about them as Sons and daughters, which can only be a good thing.

Kartta played a fine set, if a little subdued, I think Henri got Cancer is their best song. The sound in the Moorings is ace, and you could hear the 3 guitars and keyboard without it turning into a mush.

Guest bluesxman

I saw LSC once before at The Lemon tree - did they support Bonnie Prince Billy as a 4/5 piece? - and the music didn't excite me too much, it was well played but didn't do much for me. I thought they were great as a 3 piece last night, much rawer and more interesting, reminded me at times of a band I used to listen to a lot called Blue Mountain.

Enjoyed MTO too.

Thought The Moorings line check methods worked great, infinitely preferable to sitting around 2 hours waiting for a headline act to soundcheck a rack tom....

We all enjoyed ourselves too. The crowd had a really nice atmosphere.

I've always been a fan of MTO since they first played us almost 3 years ago. The musicianship in Kartta was fantastic, it can't be easy finding room for 3 guitars. Their material was good too and seemed to have plenty of scope for extended jamming - you should come down some Sunday evening guys, you'd love it!

I didn't realise that Lorenzo Snow Collective were local (as they probably guessed when I asked if they were staying), but wow what a band, for me they just shaded it in a night where the standard was VERY high. They reminded me of Neil Young & Crazy Horse a little too. I love that type of music.

Thanks for the comments on the sound, but we can do better. One of the monitors is blown, and there's a dogey speaker out front - we're just waiting on spare parts.

Hope to see all these bands in The Moorings again. Cheers!

Guest idol_wild

I thoroughly enjoyed myself on Saturday. I would definitely love to play The Moorings again, and not just for the band discount beer :up:

As Flash said, there was a really good atmosphere and the two bands we were privileged to share the bill with were extremely good. Lorenzo Snow Collective reminded me of a band called Bedhead, who are one of the most criminally overlooked bands to ever write a song.

Needless to say that anyone who enjoyed Lorenzo should check them out on the 26th at another big venue in town along with Amy Sawers, sounding raw and rocking these days, as well as Staccato set, last gig for some time, and Delawair... (see other appropriately titled thread)

Flash, have a night off and come out to play on the 26th :)

This was a novice thread jacking done merely to promote some great Aberdeen bands!

:up::love::up::love: