aberdeen-music

Bluesgrass...

Tav

Originally posted by Dayeth:

find some stuff by "New Grass Revival"

Have you got the Metallica Bluegrass Tribute yet Tav?

Bits of it. Quite ammusing. I am more interested in it because I always used to hear the blue(s)grss radio show on Virgin Radio on a Sunday night and Pearl Jam have a bit of that style coming through in some songs so I thought I'd try and get influenced myself.

the oh brother where art though soundtrack seems to be a good place to start for a lot of people. similarly the cold mountain soundtrack was very bluegrass. there was a follow up album to the oh brother where art though soundtrack called down from the mountain that would also be worth a listen.

i'm also just trying to get into some bluegrass stuff and someone recommended i listen to alison krauss but only the stuff with union station(might not be the right name there, can't quite remember) as some of her solo stuff can be quite cheesy i'm told. certainly the tracks that she did on the cold mountain soundtrack were very good. as were jack white's bluegrass song's.

we have a few bluegrass compilations instock in one up, but i haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. i'm sure they'd be ok though for a starting point. even if you just came in when it was quiet and had a listen on our headphones to check out a few people.

Don't know if there's anything to download, but you might also want to check out Bill Monroe - universally recognised as the "father of Bluegrass" (also one of the few famous mandolin players...) - also Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs.

I regularly check out www.mandolincafe.com, which you may find useful - there is a bluegrass forum (be warned however, some of the opinions regarding what is and what isn't bluegrass are a tad fundamental)

I believe (although I haven't checked and am relying on memory) that the classic bluegrass band lineup is: 5-string banjo, fiddle, double bass, mandolin, and possibly vocals. Surprisingly enough, no drums/percussion - this is because in a bluegrass band, the mandolin takes the part of the snare drum, playing a "chop" cord on the off beat.

Regards

Flossie

Originally posted by daveofficer:

was that meant to be "now i won't"? so only seem stupid in general now then :p

Something like that, trying to be funny...didn't really work. I think this Bluegrass stuff is what I am looking for, dloaded some Steve Earle, have to dload the rest later.