aberdeen-music

Poppy Day

Did anyone fall silent at 11am today? Anyone doing anything tomorrow for Remembrance Sunday?

I wonder how much it actually means to the youth of today - is it a meaningful occasion, or just one of those funny old traditions? Is it still important for people to wear poppies? Should we 'never forget', or is it time to move on?

I was silent at 11am today :sleeping:

I didn't even realise it was rememberance Sunday the morn although now you mention it I notice Lineker and pals are wearing poppies. If they had a rock concert instead of old boys in blazers and pipe bands etc I may pay more attention.

I think within a generation it will fade away as the last survivors of the war kick the bucket and there's nobody left who actually knew anyone who fought in the war.

Good on them though. Legends :up:

I don't think it is a bad idea to consider the issue of war/wars & the suffering of those involved.

Poppies are a different matter however & few in my family have ever worn one - Mainly because past members who fought in all the major battles of the Great War & other conflicts since & suffered greatly from physical & psycological wounds, whilst dealing with the aftermath of the lost generations of other friends family & comrades. Were utterly against anything that perpetuated the reputation of Butcher Haig & his ilk.

However, this in no way affected their rememberance nor their involvement with activities to help the old comrades etc. Nor did they cast any aspersions on those who chose to wear one.

Was silent at 11am, in practice for today's remembrance parade and service at King's. Would have observed it anyway even if I hadn't been at the rehearsal.

It gets my goat when people try and say poppy day is no longer relavent because WW1 happened 90 years ago, we're not just remembering the dead of the World Wars, but every serviceman who has fallen since, whether it was in the Falklands through to those still dying in Afghanistan and Iraq.

PS. If anyone wants a laugh, the Uni's tri-service parade will be marching through Kings sometime after 10 this morning... with yours truly in the Naval detachment...

I think what needs to be pushed for is the wider circulation of the white poppies. I would've worn one but couldn't find them anywhere!

Were utterly against anything that perpetuated the reputation of Butcher Haig & his ilk.

Agreed. I don't think that a few red poppies make up for what happened or what was allowed to happen.

What's the objection to red poppies? Is it just their association with Haig's name? I don't think I've heard that before.

Well yes, it has to do with a name objection. But also to do with the fact that there is no condemnation of the wars which have taken the lives of so many soldiers. A white poppy symbolises rememberance and a committance to end all wars.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/poppy/white_index.html

Well yes, it has to do with a name objection. But also to do with the fact that there is no condemnation of the wars which have taken the lives of so many soldiers. A white poppy symbolises rememberance and a committance to end all wars.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/poppy/white_index.html

So you would've committed to end all wars, even ones that would have threatened this country directly? So in other words, you would commit to letting someone invade?

Nice try, smartarse. If we're all committed to ending all wars surely there wouldn't be any?

So what happens when someone who's committed to wars gets control of a country that sees that nice non-warmongering country as ripe for invading? Sure, it's a great idea, everyone being committed to not fighting each other, but what's the odds of that happening? It would be lunacy to commit to that before everyone else does, and no-one else is going to commit to it first, are they?

Why not simply campaign for the country to be neutral and not to get involved in anything? I'd happily support something like that, but to not commit to fighting wars if push comes to shove seems rather...ridiculous.

Come on Sam, you really need to join the real world.

So what happens when someone who's committed to wars gets control of a country that sees that nice non-warmongering country as ripe for invading? Sure, it's a great idea, everyone being committed to not fighting each other, but what's the odds of that happening? It would be lunacy to commit to that before everyone else does, and no-one else is going to commit to it first, are they?

Why not simply campaign for the country to be neutral and not to get involved in anything? I'd happily support something like that, but to not commit to fighting wars if push comes to shove seems rather...ridiculous.

I'm with you on this one... o_O

I suppose we could bore invaders to death with lots of talk about the anarchist movement! :up:

Guest onlynik

Yes thats right be neutral, just like the Swiss were in WWII, oh wait a minute.........

But the working of the whole anarchist way of life would depend on everyone in the world simultaniously embracing the same political beliefs.....like thats going to happen!!!

I believe that the horror of war and in particular the 1st and 2nd world wars and the apalling loss of life on all sides both military and civilian should be remembered world wide for ever and ever..... and to try and attempt to make any political point off the back of it is just wrong.....I agree war is wrong....but sadly sometimes inevitable, lets keep the political chest beating for a different occasion.

G...

So why hasn't Costa Rica been invaded by now?

Was silent at 11am, in practice for today's remembrance parade and service at King's. Would have observed it anyway even if I hadn't been at the rehearsal.

It gets my goat when people try and say poppy day is no longer relavent because WW1 happened 90 years ago, we're not just remembering the dead of the World Wars, but every serviceman who has fallen since, whether it was in the Falklands through to those still dying in Afghanistan and Iraq.

PS. If anyone wants a laugh, the Uni's tri-service parade will be marching through Kings sometime after 10 this morning... with yours truly in the Naval detachment...

Totally agree, I think it's more relevant now than ever with all the recent conflict. I did a lot of work on both WWI and WWII in school so I always donate to the poppy appeal and observe the minutes silence.

i wore a poppy. mainly because a sweet old lady came to my door with a collection box, and i felt sorry for her out doing her bit for charity in the pouring rain, i put it on my jacket and totally forgot it was there till i saw this thread