aberdeen-music

thefunniestflyerintheworld.

Edgar Graham

Guest bluesxman
close. Flyblown actually.

It's near impossible to make out without knowing whose logo it is but once you know it's really cleverly done, several different means of finding the name within the logo....or maybe that's just me...

• 3 months later...

some information for everyone...

bring me the horizon won kerrang's best british newcomers award, they are packing out huge venues and touring europe at the moment.

abigail williams are a death metal band from the US (named after a girl who was believed to be possessed).

these big bands had never played aberdeen before this.

this show sold out cafe drummonds and got a capacity crowd for the venue.

Cover Your Mouth are a pretty successful promotions company, run by 2 teenagers and do pretty well as they have only had 1 show that has had a small crowd out of all their shows, the rest have been sell outs or packed. go to one of their shows or check out their page and see what they achieve. www.myspace.com/coveryourmouth

Tread Not Fear are a very successful booking agency/promotions company based in edinburgh who put on big shows and get american bands over to scotland.

and also, its not about the flyers, logos or names, its about the show, bands and the music, get off your backsides and get to a show if you call yourselves music lovers.

and also, its not about the flyers, logos or names, its about the show, bands and the music, get off your backsides and get to a show if you call yourselves music lovers.

Way to revive an ancient thread.

Also, every band on that bill I think are terrible. Why go to a gig (yes, not a 'show', not sure why so many people call it that now) of bands you don't like?

Why go to a gig (yes, not a 'show', not sure why so many people call it that now) of bands you don't like?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

Show /ʃoʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[shoh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, showed, shown or showed, showing, noun

–verb (used with object)

1. to cause or allow to be seen; exhibit; display.

2. to present or perform as a public entertainment or spectacle: to show a movie.

Gig /gɪg/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gig] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, gigged, gigging. Slang.

–noun

1. a single professional engagement, usually of short duration, as of jazz or rock musicians.

2. any job, esp. one of short or uncertain duration: a teaching gig out west somewhere.

–verb (used without object)

3. to work as a musician, esp. in a single engagement: He gigged with some of the biggest names in the business.

Fair point though.

Show /ʃoʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[shoh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, showed, shown or showed, showing, noun

verb (used with object)

1. to cause or allow to be seen; exhibit; display.

2. to present or perform as a public entertainment or spectacle: to show a movie.

Gig /gɪg/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gig] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, gigged, gigging. Slang.

noun

1. a single professional engagement, usually of short duration, as of jazz or rock musicians.

2. any job, esp. one of short or uncertain duration: a teaching gig out west somewhere.

verb (used without object)

3. to work as a musician, esp. in a single engagement: He gigged with some of the biggest names in the business.

Fair point though.

So it means the same thing basically.

I do prefer saying show. It just sounds a bit more pro, thats all. Personal preference innit?

I respect Cover Your Mouth and Tread Not Fear as they've done a lot of good work but to say that because we aren't music lvoers because we don't go to their shows is just nonsense.

Oh and yeh thanks for reviving this.

Goodnight.

I'm proud to say I have been to a 'Coveryourmouth' gig, and you could have fooled me.

I feel 'show' is a more accurate word for these types of band's attempts at entertainment, as if they were stripped of their nice hair, left relying on simply their musical ability, the place would be destinctly lacking in an audience-shaped mass.

The music appeals to a very fickle fanbase, so promoters such as this will be forced to keep changing their general 'look' to go along with what's popular with the teeny boppers.

Still, as previously mentioned... great business head.

:laughing:

why do people insist on calling their promotions things "companies"??

im sure if the VAT man came round for a visit to their parents house at tea time they would be taking "company" off of their myspace website and it would be "collective" and mummy would be fighting their battles for them.

cover your mouth put on some absolutely packed gigs. they are definetley on the road to success for as long as this myspace-core thing trundles on. although, if those gigs werent at drummonds they would have trouble, most venues wouldnt like being at capacity yet making beer money from a smaller portion of the crowd or having a gazillion underager myspace kids hanging about outside scaring away beer buying punters.

im sure if the VAT man came round for a visit to their parents house at tea time they would be taking "company" off of their myspace website and it would be "collective" and mummy would be fighting their battles for them.

The VAT man is only going to come round if your "company" is making over 66,000 a year. Inland Revenue on the other hand...

:laughing:

Fucking hell Maxi, you said exactly what I was going to post.

I wouldn't fancy being them if the taxman decided to take an interest, especially if they don't keep records on who was paid what. Considering that they can and will just impose a random figure of tax owed if you can't prove what you owe, it's a dangerous game. I don't remeber the details anymore, but didn't someone get busted a while back for promoting gigs without telling the taxman?

Somehow, I doubt they've even declared to the tax man of their self employed status. All very risky, especially if you're taking in 1500 through the door on a good night.

I'm also pretty sure it's illegal to even use the word "company" if you aren't registered, too.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Cover Your Mouth are a pretty successful promotions company, run by 2 teenagers and do pretty well as they have only had 1 show that has had a small crowd out of all their shows, the rest have been sell outs or packed. go to one of their shows or check out their page and see what they achieve. www.myspace.com/coveryourmouthcall yourselves music lovers.

Wow, it must take balls and some really hard work to pack out venues with emo/metalcore bands in this day and age!

No it isn't.

Yup, you're right, looks like I got my wires crossed with the usage of the word "limited".

Actually, the tax situation surrounding promoters and music in general is quite interesting - I wonder how many people in Aberdeen actually bother to declare income? Obviously the taxman isn't going to chase up every case, but if "cover your mouth" are being truthful with the statement that they've promoted several packed gigs, then I can see the taxman taking quite an interest in 1500 a time going through the door without it being declared anywhere.

I'm sure the reason that certain venues use outside promoters is to pass the liabilities onto a third party.

Guest inc18457
Yup, you're right, looks like I got my wires crossed with the usage of the word "limited".

Actually, the tax situation surrounding promoters and music in general is quite interesting - I wonder how many people in Aberdeen actually bother to declare income? Obviously the taxman isn't going to chase up every case, but if "cover your mouth" are being truthful with the statement that they've promoted several packed gigs, then I can see the taxman taking quite an interest in 1500 a time going through the door without it being declared anywhere.

I'm sure the reason that certain venues use outside promoters is to pass the liabilities onto a third party.

are you ever NOT the most completely boring person in the world?!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Like Ry said, the kind of people who go to these gigs are totally fickle and most would never venture anywhere else to check out any of the great acts both local and national (or even international*) playing all sorts of great music in so many clubs and venues around the city. The fact that the kind of music CYM puts on always the same (eg 4 bands playing the exact same music) is the precise reason that I doubt the 'music loving' nature of its audience. If they love music so much, then why do they only go to metal/metalcore/emo gigs? This is the reason I don't 'get' the whole movement. It's safe...if I were playing abrasive and confrontational music I'd want to play with as many different styles of bands and musicians as possible, and every gig I have ever been involved with in which I have had a say in the lineup has tried to be diverse as possible. Real music fans like to check out all styles, so Coveryourmouth can suck my fat cock if they're upset that I don't go to their shitty gigs.

*Case study - The Blood Brothers a couple of weeks ago. I was dreading have to hang out in the 'mosh pit' with a bunch of dudes in camouflage shorts trying to punch me, but I don't think I saw a single one of the local metalcore scenesters there...the reason? I can only guess that they didn't fit into the preapproved category of 5 young dudes in black hoodies playing metal riffs, because anybody who's genuinely into punk, hardcore, metal, emo or any style along those lines should adore The BBs.

If they love music so much, then why do they only go to metal/metalcore/emo gigs?

maybe because that is the kinda of music they like? I dunno i may be off the mark there tho.

*Case study - The Blood Brothers a couple of weeks ago. I was dreading have to hang out in the 'mosh pit' with a bunch of dudes in camouflage shorts trying to punch me, but I don't think I saw a single one of the local metalcore scenesters there...the reason? I can only guess that they didn't fit into the preapproved category of 5 young dudes in black hoodies playing metal riffs, because anybody who's genuinely into punk, hardcore, metal, emo or any style along those lines should adore The BBs.

Rubbish, you are basing that on what you think about the band, i have a big interest in punk/emo/gaycore whatever but i would have to say the BB's dont interest me.

the bb's are ok, but i would say they had more in common with noise/math and proper screamo than they do with generocore...

it doesnt have enough chun chun weeee grrrrowwwwllll look at my died black brushheid and tight jeans giiirrrlllyyy sinnnggginnngg holding nootteeess to keep the clonekids happy.

twas good that they were up in aberdeen though

• Upvote 1

The thing is who says that these people are music lovers?

You dont have to have a huge interest in music to go to gigs its not a written rule or anything.

I say good on these guys for putting on these gigs, maybe they are using the trend to their own good, but they have provided these bands with packed out gigs they will remember for ages, they have provided the people who have paid to get in with a night they obviously enjoyed and would like to come back to, fair enough drummonds maybe dont make heaps off the bar sales but it is their choice to allow these nights to be had in their veunue so they have to accept that this happens. im sure that if they didnt think the night was a success for them and the promoter then they wouldnt be happy to have them back again.