aberdeen-music

Playing acoustic solo

Volta

Hi.

Wondering if anyone could answer a question with regards to playing live just you and your acoustic. Now I know there's various combinations that you can use with pick-ups and mics and everything but what I need to know at the moment is if you get a gig at local venues that have a PA system, is it possible to bring your acoustic along without pick-up and be able to play a decent sounding gig. Do venues have mics that they can use to mic up and amplify your acoustic or do you need to bring your own pick-up?

Any advice much appreciated.

I'd recommend shelling out for an acoustic pickup (either soundhole or piezo).

It's a lot faster to set up, and I've seen some less prepared gigs where mic feedback has fucked things up a bit.

They're not as good as mics for sound quality, but I'm assming perfectly natural tone isn't such a big deal seeing as you're just starting out.

Guest DustyDeviada
I'd recommend shelling out for an acoustic pickup (either soundhole or piezo).

It's a lot faster to set up, and I've seen some less prepared gigs where mic feedback has fucked things up a bit.

They're not as good as mics for sound quality, but I'm assming perfectly natural tone isn't such a big deal seeing as you're just starting out.

Yes, I've seen local acts doing gigs with acoustics mic-ed up and they have usually been terrible. It's actually quite a technique to play an acoustic and keep it at a consitant position in front of a mic, especially if you are fingerpicking.

It will sound better though, but I think most people that go to gigs are now used to the fact that an acoustic with a pickup sounds absolutely nothing like a real acoustic.

I play acoustic gigs quite a lot, and I prefer to use a soundhole pickup, they are usually less tinny and trebley that the undersaddle piezos which tend to sound horrible.

It will sound better though, but I think most people that go to gigs are now used to the fact that an acoustic with a pickup sounds absolutely nothing like a real acoustic.

I play acoustic gigs quite a lot, and I prefer to use a soundhole pickup, they are usually less tinny and trebley that the undersaddle piezos which tend to sound horrible.

Yeah, I agree. Luckily my playing is quite rhythmic, so a little roughness doesn't bugger me up too much.

Installed a piezo into my good acoustic, but it was a lot of hassle, and without a pre-amp it's barely worth using. I picked up a Seymour Duncan Woody (hum cancelling) soundhole pickup when I got my new cheapy acoustic, and it's just slot in, plug in and play. Also means if I upgrade, I can keep using the pickup without having to butcher the poor wee Yamaha.

What kind of stuff do you play Volta?

Play my own tunes, they suit band arrangements but fuck it, i'm going solo for a start.

Could go 2 directions, rock'n'roll/pop or r'n'r/country/blues. When I'm singing and playing, my playing is always rythmic. I'm a keef fanatic! No finger-picking shoe gazing type stuff(not that there's anything wrong with that)

But your right, I'm not after finding the perfect acoustic holy grail of tones at this stage. Just want to get out there and make a noise. I like the idea of the soundhole pick-up with minimum fuss. Can ye pick-up(groan) one of those babies from Millers or R&B? Think the fishman is almost 100, don't think I want to spend that much.

Cheers, appreciate all the replies folks.

Play my own tunes, they suit band arrangements but fuck it, i'm going solo for a start.

Could go 2 directions, rock'n'roll/pop or r'n'r/country/blues. When I'm singing and playing, my playing is always rythmic. I'm a keef fanatic! No finger-picking shoe gazing type stuff(not that there's anything wrong with that)

But your right, I'm not after finding the perfect acoustic holy grail of tones at this stage. Just want to get out there and make a noise. I like the idea of the soundhole pick-up with minimum fuss. Can ye pick-up(groan) one of those babies from Millers or R&B? Think the fishman is almost 100, don't think I want to spend that much.

Cheers, appreciate all the replies folks.

I got my SD from R&B for 90 bucks. They've got a bigger range of pickups than Brucies from the looks of things anyway. There was a really basic Woody for about 30 quid, but if you have the cash, I'd recommend something with hum cancelling.

But yeah, for the blueser, soundhole pup's definately the way to go :up: Piezo's are about 75 quid anyway - which isn't cheap - and you need to shell out for a pre-amp if you want the best out of it.

Acoustic mic'ing is more than possible but placement is a key issue.

If using only a dynamic mic (i.e Shure SM57), the mircophone should not be closer than about 15 cm from guitar and should be infront and below the guitar pointing upwards at an angle of about 60 degrees. Obviously, this may not be possible if there is a lot of noise on stage.

An AKG C1000 (or some other condensor mic of reasonable quality) at about 20cm and a dynamic mic close® to the guitar could also prove to be a good combination.

If you place a dynamic mic at the acoustic opening of the gutiar, it will sound terrible.

Also note: if your guitar doesn't sound good acousticly it never will do mic'ed up.

Acoustic mic'ing is more than possible but placement is a key issue.

If using only a dynamic mic (i.e Shure SM57), the mircophone should not be closer than about 15 cm from guitar and should be infront and below the guitar pointing upwards at an angle of about 60 degrees. Obviously, this may not be possible if there is a lot of noise on stage.

An AKG C1000 (or some other condensor mic of reasonable quality) at about 20cm and a dynamic mic close® to the guitar could also prove to be a good combination.

If you place a dynamic mic at the acoustic opening of the gutiar, it will sound terrible.

Also note: if your guitar doesn't sound good acousticly it never will do mic'ed up.

Hah, thanks for that man. I'm about to do some recording in a couple hours with my acoustic and it dawned on me as I read your post that I know pretty much nothing about microphones. Sorted sorted.

Don't take what I say about microphones or sound enginnering as gospel. I only do it as a hobby.

Apparently, in studios when recording acoustic guitar, the booth will often be non-carpeted and possibly be a larger room. A large diaphram microphone is often used as the closest microphone to the guitar and is meant to pick up sound reflections off the floor. Probably also use a stereo pair of condensors at a distance.

Distance micing is the key to recording most acoustic instruments.

Remember, your mic'd signal is never going to be better than your source (if your guitar is crap acousticly, it will sound crap with a microphone).