aberdeen-music

Aberdeen University or RGU?

Guest NULL

The computing department is a pain in the arse for getting access to their "elite" computing labs. If you have to use them and are at another school (currently studying under the school of engineering) you need to get a seperate log in name for the "campus wide" roaming profiles.

Which uni is this rgu or au?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RGU, it's ok if your at the school of computing, but i'm doing a computing degree at the school of engineering which involves having labs in the computing school and the occuring scenario much to our annoyance.

does that depend on which course you choose?

I did an AU degree and am now at RGU. Leaving aside the technical aspects, from my experience, the following things are absolutely clear:

1. AU is far more intellectually and educationally rigorous.

2. AU treats its students as adults, responsible for their own learning and education requirements.

3. RGU lecturers are frequently roped-in, middle-management types who think "reading powerpoint aloud" equates to "delivering a lecture".

4. RGU are control freaks, with interminable "security", passwords, documents, questionnaires, feedback forms, etc etc.

5. AU campus is a great deal more beautiful than RGU's.

I will leave you to judge which one I preferred :(

AKM

5. AU campus is a great deal more beautiful than RGU's.

Man the garthdee campus is beautiful (If you ignore the buildings) We used to go and sit down the river on big trees which had half fallen into the water. Admittedly Old Aberdeen is nice, but you've got monstrocities like the zoology building and the halls and stuff, that and its surrounded by Tillydrone, Seaton and Powis.

Man the garthdee campus is beautiful (If you ignore the buildings) We used to go and sit down the river on big trees which had half fallen into the water. Admittedly Old Aberdeen is nice, but you've got monstrocities like the zoology building and the halls and stuff, that and its surrounded by Tillydrone, Seaton and Powis.

I have to agree. RGU's garthdee campus is stunning in the good weather, and I quite like the new buildings there as well. I was looking at some plans for moving the rest of the uni out to garthdee the other day and it's going to be an impressive area once they've finished.

If your wanting to do IT you will be based in the school of computing, so it shouldn't be a problem. If your doing AI+R or Computer Network Management (which i'm doing) you will probably encounter this problem.

Ah, so does that mean that most of your labs/lectures are in the School of Engineering, or are you frequently over in the School of Computing?

It seems kind of wierd that you are in the Engineering building if you are doing Computer Network Management though. Fortunately for me, all my classes are in the Computing building.