aberdeen-music

Review of two Local Band CDs i happen to own: Sam Beaton & Maps

StewCat

In the early stages of making a zoghurt fanzine-fancy reviewing some local bands. thought id use this feedback forum as a start.

Despise & Desire Yourself - Sam Beaton

Relesed: 2006

Cost: Cant remember - 2/3 or something.

Number of tracks: 9

For Anyone who hasnt seen Sam Beaton before - he is an Antifolk/Alternative Acoustic artist from some dodgy outskirt of Aberdeen.

His CD 'Despise & Desire Yourself' is raw and honest. Like alot of young song writers i have seen locally really dont have the same grasp of song like Sam has. One moment you look deep into yourself, hypnotised by the soothing guitar and the next your heart races with excitement from the booming upbeat tunes. ofcorse there are a couple of laughs along the way.

Tracks worth a mention: Boy who played in Traffic lights, Calmity Project, I feel im gonna die.

Anything else: Cool wee A4 page with track list, info, zoghurt/sam beaton website & Short Story.

10/10

---------------------------------------------------------

Maps - Demo

Cost: umm, think it was a swap for a Holy Folks CD

Number of tracks: 2

Must admit i am still to delight my ears and eyes at a Maps gig but after listening to this CD im gonna make the extra effot. First impressions is: Wierd, poppy,Art rock, good times....its music i'd like to drive to. Momories of being at the beach and getting drunk also comes to my head.

Really is hard to say anything about this demo other than its really fucking good. Maps are playing the Art school halloween party at the tunnels...i wont miss it!

Tracks to mention: Henri got Cancer, RMTC

Anything else: www.myspace.com/mapsuk

10/10

------------------------------------------------------------------

now, that was fun.

Guest idol_wild

Thanks Stew!! Your kind words are appreciated hugely. I still feel I got the better deal out of that swap, though! :up:

The last time I saw you was at 3:30AM on a Sunday morning and you were trousered.

Me: "Where have you been, Stew?"

Stew: "Everywhere...and nowhere"

Then you proceeded to hug me until I was blue and repeatedly tell me you loved me. It was probably the best day of my life.

Been listening to this more since i wrote this thread.

Maps are fucking amazing. i really really cant wait till the next gig.

Any chance of a Maps interview for the Zoghurt Fanzine?

sure!

when and where? if you want the whole band then tuesday nights is probably

best just after we practice.

Whole band would be good?

Where do you guys practice? and at what time?

Otherwise i could speak to you in the tunnels on halloween after you sound cheak?

whatevers easiest for you. we practice at musical vision(under atmosphere lighting and sound) from 7 till 9 most tuesdays with the occasional extra day thrown in.

i like the maps mp3s a lot. good ear for a tune indeed.

what like is that musical vision place anyway, only practiceed there once well over a year ago. what set up does it have these days i.e. two cabs/bass cab/drums/pa??

it's not bad, got a couple of tasty valve amps and the usual array of peavy and marshals. we've practiced there for ages and find the guys really helpful. they gave us an extra hour for free a wee while ago just cause it was quiet and we're there every week, which was nice.

to be honest one place is probably as good as the next. we're hoping to get our own space at some point within the next year.

thanks for saying nice things about our mp3's. should hopefully have another two up in the next week or so. :)