aberdeen-music

Everybody wants to know her na yay yay yay me

*rae*

Originally posted by missdawn:

There is no such thing as bad music. Just not music that will be to your liking. For example, someone who likes the above mentioned bands might not like things you or me like, so would class it as 'bad' music. Similarly, as you said, we might brand McFly or Busted as being shit because they are simply not to our taste.

However, Blazing Squad do deserve to be shot ;)

I have to disagree with you. Personally i think the word "music" describes something with a certain amount of thought and soul put into it which doesn't, quiet franky apply, to the likes of busted etc as there full of shit and there is nothing there of any interest, its just formula spat onto a cd. However, although I dont go mad over bands such as APC, Incubus or what ever I can still respect it as being good quality music because the substance is there in it, i just dont particulary enjoy the package. Thats the difference. So, on that note I suppose you're right to an extent; there is no such thing as bad music. Just music and nothingness, pish.

I read an interview with busted in the sun where they claimed to write all of their own songs and be totally into old-school punk and stuff. Then read an interview with the blink 182/transplants drummer (who for some unknown reason did a song with busted) who said that they wrote none of their own songs and were told what to wear/what music to claim to like by their record company. I'd respect them if they were true to their words but they lie and try to pretend their something their not which is shit cos iut cons people into buying their records!

Originally posted by MeerKatsChris:

I have to disagree with you. Personally i think the word "music" describes something with a certain amount of thought and soul put into it which doesn't, quiet franky apply, to the likes of busted etc as there full of shit and there is nothing there of any interest, its just formula spat onto a cd. However, although I dont go mad over bands such as APC, Incubus or what ever I can still respect it as being good quality music because the substance is there in it, i just dont particulary enjoy the package. Thats the difference. So, on that note I suppose you're right to an extent; there is no such thing as bad music. Just music and nothingness, pish.

I understand where you're coming from completely, but I suppose everyone has different interpretations of what exactly music (be it good or not) is. So I don't like a lot of diversity, but I'm happy with that because it's what I personally like, but then you get 11/12 year-olds who are just getting into music and most people start off with the pop 'crap' (hey, I did and I'm not ashamed to admit it either!) However, once you get older you begin to realise that music isn't 'processed' and that the best has some real feeling put into it. But like I say, not everyone thinks along the same lines *shrug*

Yeah you're talkin sense I'm not disputing that. I just think you are a little more understanding about it than I am and I'm not denying that I listened to some utter crap in my early years of music discovery. My other annoyance with it however is the problems this kind of formula churning gives immerging bands trying to get decent exposure and signings. Which as a music fan and musician pisses me off no end because real talent is being shunned for the likes of eyebrows himself. Hopefully you undersatnd that and anyone else who has an opinion and has something to contribute?

Originally posted by MeerKatsChris:

Yeah you're talkin sense I'm not disputing that. I just think you are a little more understanding about it than I am and I'm not denying that I listened to some utter crap in my early years of music discovery. My other annoyance with it however is the problems this kind of formula churning gives immerging bands trying to get decent exposure and signings. Which as a music fan and musician pisses me off no end because real talent is being shunned for the likes of eyebrows himself. Hopefully you undersatnd that and anyone else who has an opinion and has something to contribute?

Thanks. Yeah I get what you're saying totally. It's just a pity that such great bands have taken a bit of a 'backseat' in the music industry and that the media rarely pay attention to them, and prefer to focus on what is 'hot at the minute' (for example, 'pop-punk' bands like Busted or McFly)

I agree to some degree with what you guys are saying but to be perfectly honest it pisses me off no end when people have to be so damn political about music. I appreciate that it is an arse that quality bands have to take a backseat cos of mass produced pop kiddies but to be honest it doesnt mean that these bands are any less liked - they have their fan base and I'm pretty sure - if they're the "real" musicians that you're referring to - that's all that's gonna matter to them!

Also, the McFly song is cool, they should be in Happy Days or something.

In my opinion, if you like a song, you like it - who gives a shit how/when/where or by who it was produced!!!

Originally posted by Timson:

I hope you're fucking joking !

Nah, I genuinely like their songs. they're catchy, have some good riffs in there and it's just some general pop-punk-esque fun.

I don't care if anyone says it's pathetic or that I like a band that doesn't write their own music - it's just some music, can't be any harm in it.

I agree with Aileens last statement there - "In my opinion, if you like a song, you like it - who gives a shit how/when/where or by who it was produced!!!"