aberdeen-music

The Departed

Chris

Saw The Departed on Friday night and it was fucking ace. Superb performances from everyone, particuarly the wonderfully insane Jack Nicholson and Mark Whalberg. Who for once didn't sound like a whiny mummy's boy trying to be friends with everyone.

It's been a while since I've been to the cinema and the whole audience has released a collective, genuinely felt "awwwwwww" when a character died (I won't say who).

My only quibble was that it may have been a little long, but then it was Scorcese and it's a return to form for him. Mental ending though.

Saw The Departed on Friday night and it was fucking ace. Superb performances from everyone, particuarly the wonderfully insane Jack Nicholson and Mark Whalberg. Who for once didn't sound like a whiny mummy's boy trying to be friends with everyone.

It's been a while since I've been to the cinema and the whole audience has released a collective, genuinely felt "awwwwwww" when a character died (I won't say who).

My only quibble was that it may have been a little long, but then it was Scorcese and it's a return to form for him. Mental ending though.

I thought it was ace too. I'm not normally a fan of ganster films but i thought the acting was great, there were some brilliant comedy exchanges between Baldwin and Whalberg and i didn't think it dragged at all.

The only thing that annoyed me was Matt Damon's accent :p

I saw it last week, thought it was really good. I love the film its based on and was worried that i'd sit there going "they did it better in the original" but i didn't. Even though i knew more or less what was going to happen i really enjoyed the film.

The only thing that annoyed me was Matt Damon's accent :p

Wasn't Matt Damon using his real accent, thought i read that somewhere?

"I'm the guy that works here. You must be the other guy."

Not to be a complete dick but wasn't it "I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy."? I seem to recall that being one of my favourite sasses in the film :)

Excellent film, as stated in the Children Of Men thread we didn't intend to go see The Departed but it had me gripped from start to finish. Much enjoyed and recommended to gangster/action/twist-filled films.

I knew the film commanded respect and not once did I hear a single member of the audience so much as cough or ruslte a sweet paper.

Wish I had gone the same night as you then!

I got the usual Aberdeen gutbucket "let's go to the movies for tea" audience including some wee HOOOOOOOR who rustled the same sweetie poke for the entire duration of the movie. CUNTS :swearing:

Anyhoo - fantastic movie, great performances, with Ja-a-ack back to lunatic best. Damon, Wahlberg, Sheen, Winstone & especially Baldwin were first rate and The Crapster is improving all the time as an A-list actor :up:

As always with Scorsese. the dialogue was superb and quotable. Too many fave bits to mention.

My only quibble was the extraneous love-triangle. Gorgeous girl though :up:

Definitely worth a 2nd viewing for that dialogue.

Got to be some kind of record for accurate head-shots per capita outside of a zombie movie o_O

How does it compare to Infernal Affairs (of which it is a remake)?

It has the same basic plot, and if you've seen Infernal Affairs you will know what's going to happen throughout the film. However, like i said earlier, i didn't sit there thinking "the original did it better". The Departed is a really good film which kept me entertained even though i knew the story.

I still prefer Infernal Affairs (but i've loved the film for ages so could be biased).

I wouldn't really call it a remake, they just made a film based on the same plot, i realise i'm not explaining this well, but go see the film, you'll see what i mean.

I really enjoyed it and so did the wife to my utter surprise....I kindda tricked into it.

I must go and see it again though...i'm sure I missed lots, as you do with a Scorsese movie.

Yeah I thought it was better the second time around as I wasn't as surprised by it's length.

"No tickie, no laundry"