aberdeen-music

Futureheads

lynne

This is true, however why bother putting in the gig details, ticket prices, venue closing time and all number of minute details if you weren't absolutely sure of booking the band? Leave it until it's 100% confirmed and don't dash people's hopes. It struck me as idiotic when I saw it.

Now someone will tell me that it IS on. Oh well! :)

Yeah, weird choice of word - "hoax".

The magazine said "TBC". Obviously, it wasn't confirmed (for whatever reason) and they're playing elsewhere instead.

Hardly a hoax.

A hoax is a set - up. Something to wind somebody up.

Saying in an official brochure a gig is going to happen "TBC" means the gig is booked, but is to be confirmed.

I did indeed think NARC'S choice of the word "hoax" was a weird choice of word.

This is true, however why bother putting in the gig details, ticket prices, venue closing time and all number of minute details if you weren't absolutely sure of booking the band? Leave it until it's 100% confirmed and don't dash people's hopes. It struck me as idiotic when I saw it.

It's hardly idiotic if they made an educated guess as to whether the gig was going to go ahead or not. From the sounds of things, the Lemon Tree were pretty confident of pulling it off - hence they published the details in the hope that it might get confirmed and therefore meaning that they would get the speculative sales. You can't change something once it's gone to print - hence, it's probably better to have to cancel something than to never announce it to begin with.

It's hardly idiotic if they made an educated guess as to whether the gig was going to go ahead or not. From the sounds of things, the Lemon Tree were pretty confident of pulling it off - hence they published the details in the hope that it might get confirmed and therefore meaning that they would get the speculative sales. You can't change something once it's gone to print - hence, it's probably better to have to cancel something than to never announce it to begin with.

Yeah, the bi-monthly Magazine is our biggest marketing tool and has a around a two week turn around and delivery time, so often shows are still in the tbc bracket when we send to the printers.

And then lots of people end up disappointed and Lemon Tree start getting a reputation for announcing acts they haven't even got playing.....

Yes, but it says TBC(TO BE CONFIRMED if you don't realise;)) so if people have a bit of sense then they would realise that means they MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be playing.

If they announced it in the next magazine then it would be too late for word to spread round and then there would be fuck all there.

It makes sense.

Guest bluesxman
Yes, but it says TBC(TO BE CONFIRMED if you don't realise;)) so if people have a bit of sense then they would realise that means they MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be playing.

If they announced it in the next magazine then it would be too late for word to spread round and then there would be fuck all there.

It makes sense.

Yeah thanks, I don't need the CAPS or explanations, I understood.

Not all gigs are announced with only one magazine edition prior to the event, some are announced months in advance. I've spoken to several folk who also think the announcement followed by cancellation tactic sucks, I'm sure other folk do as well. They haven't all been 'TBC' either, Lemonheads being a case in point. No skin off my arse, I don't work there, if they are happy to do things that way it's their reputation.

Yeah thanks, I don't need the CAPS or explanations, I understood.

Not all gigs are announced with only one magazine edition prior to the event, some are announced months in advance. I've spoken to several folk who also think the announcement followed by cancellation tactic sucks, I'm sure other folk do as well. They haven't all been 'TBC' either, Lemonheads being a case in point. No skin off my arse, I don't work there, if they are happy to do things that way it's their reputation.

Yeah, sorry about the capitals, I got carried away...

but yeh, I can see your point of view but I was merely talking about this gig. If it was supposed to be about a month away, then if they waited it might've been too late.

It makes sense.

Yeah you're right, all the Futureheads fans in Aberdeen read the Lemon Tree magazine, if it wasn't (pre)announced in that brochure, there'd be FUCK ALL THERE (sorry about the CAPS got carried away), You'd have to promote the Futureheads in the Lemon Tree to FUCK to get even half the amount of people in.

Why anyone has a problem with a venue advertising something "TBC" is beyond me.

Enough bands cancel or reschedule gigs altogether so advertising a gig before it is 100% confirmed is fine by me if it states it is "TBC."

It's not as if anyone has gone back on their word or anything.

Or it's a great big hoax...................