aberdeen-music

SPD interview

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Im not syaing you do give us shit, and Filthpact stay out of just about....everything to do with this scene. Its just calling people who are DIY "twisted losers" is hardly a full picture.

Point taken. Calling a Modern Metal band who want as many people as possible to hear them, an emo band hungry for the "rockstar dream" is hardly the full picture, is it?

Like i say and its a FACT. This messageboard matters not to any progress* of the band AT ALL.

Which is all just fine but please be aware plenty of other people use this web site for what it actually exists for: constructive discussion on the local music scene and promotion of their own bands, music, events, venues etc.

If all you want to do is have petty little arguments with people and wind them up then there are hundreds if not thousands of other web sites out there (many bigger and better than this one) that exist purely for that kind of "entertainment".

All this kind of nonsense simply serves to make you on here (and thus the band you represent) look juvenile and petty. And that goes for the rest of you that bite and join in as well. How is that going to help your bands?

You might not think this web site is important in the grand scene of things (i.e becoming a successful band on a national level) and I agree with you, but remember that all sorts of people stumble onto web sites. If I look at the e-mail addresses of some of the 5000 odd registered members on here then we have representatives of major record labels (BMI, Sony and EMI), big promoters (Mean Fiddler, DF Concerts) not to mention many of the smaller Scottish based labels, promoters and venues.

What are these people going to see if they go "Oh, I see My Mind's Weapon are from Aberdeen - I know, I'll do a quick search for them on aberdeen-music and see what I find."

Or, much more likely, they simply search for "My Mind's Weapon" on Google. Because let me tell you now - nobody pays attention to your web site address on your flyers, bios etc. People are lazy and always just search first - fact. What will they find? Well, the 4th result is a post on this web site funnily enough. Would you want these kinds of people reading threads like these?

Sorry for the rant but it's threads like these that just make me want to shut this web site down because it sometimes looks like most of you people are simply too stupid and hot-headed to use it for what it's actually here for. X(

THINK BEFORE YOU POST!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
*Note for Jake: Progress -

1. a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage: the progress of a student toward a degree.

2. developmental activity in science, technology, etc., esp. with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created.

3. advancement in general.

4. growth or development; continuous improvement: He shows progress in his muscular coordination.

5. the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.

6. Biology. increasing differentiation and perfection in the course of ontogeny or phylogeny.

7. forward or onward movement: the progress of the planets.

8. the forward course of action, events, time, etc.

9. an official journey or tour, as by a sovereign or dignitary

Nice try, but I know what progress means, come back when you achieve some.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Cant recall that but probably did it for a giggle. Announcing a song with a joke title is funny and throwaway whereas actually taking the time to get so riled and moved to write a song is different story altogether.

Still, its flattering, thanks for the publicity.

Why does what we do get to you so much? We actually think its so funny that you do.

You should get into stamp collecting or something...

It's all of 2 seconds. If you think I get "riled" or "moved" by anything you or your band does, think again. Like you, I post for personal amusement and I love ripping you lot to bits because you fall for it every time. Hardly the behaviour of a band who reckon they're going places, is it? If this website does, indeed, mean "dick", delete your account. This site has its place, it's the best way of finding out about gigs and the like and people would miss it if it got taken down.

I just can't take you seriously, simple as that.

It's all of 2 seconds. If you think I get "riled" or "moved" by anything you or your band does, think again. Like you, I post for personal amusement and I love ripping you lot to bits because you fall for it every time. Hardly the behaviour of a band who reckon they're going places, is it? If this website does, indeed, mean "dick", delete your account. This site has its place, it's the best way of finding out about gigs and the like and people would miss it if it got taken down.

I just can't take you seriously, simple as that.

"ripping us to bits"?

With all due respect Jake, I wouldn't say repeatedly calling someone 'rinky' or 'dink' is the height of wit, never mind 'a ripping'. And as for "falling for it everytime", it's not like you can ever leave it alone either... Hardly the behaviour of someone nearly ten years my senior, is it? ;)

The best thing about you is that you ACTUALLY think as a band we are after the rockstar dream as you so call it. If that was really the case we would have all quit our jobs, and I wouldn't have bothered completing a 6 year-long masters degree. Furthermore we wouldn't write continually less accessible songs, and we CERTAINLY wouldn't have parted ways with Jamesy, because if there is anyone I have ever met that could help a band get further in the music industry, it's him.

If you DID take us seriously, 'knowing' what you do with this internet forum as your only source, then you'd be a fool.

Anyway, this is about SPD - a band who I gather should be taken very seriously - so onwards with that...