aberdeen-music

When the raging f**k is Clerks 2 out?

medichi

I'm still scared. The last few Kevin Smith films have deeply shaken my faith in the guy.

On a related note' date=' he was doing another 'Evening With Kevin Smith' tour, anyone know if/when it'll be out on DVD?[/quote']

i was scared too but after a shaky start it turned out really good. my main worry was that he'd approach it as an attempt to recapture clerks but instead it's more like catching up on old friends and what they're upto. it works really well. okay it's not perfect but no kevin smith film is. it's a movie about folks who still haven't worked out what they're doing despite all the proclamations and traumas of their past. call it a slackers age of enlightenment with added beastiality and toilet humour. there's also an awesome musical number about a third of the way through and rosario dawson is cute. randall's still the cynical guy we know and love and dante's still a fine straight man(though very much of the mark hamill wet actor mould).

there's no point expecting the greatest movie ever but i came out of feeling a sense of well being and satisfaction because my boys were back and they were doing ok. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluesxman

I went to see this yesterday and found it rather hilarious. Favourite parts were the Silence Of The Lambs pastiche, the diatribe on Star Wars vs. Lord Of The Rings and the Pillow pants discussion. Even my girlfriend, who afterwards confessed she wasn't expecting too much from it, laughed so much during the pussy troll bit I thought she was going to explode.

All in, I give it 8/10.

I thought it was great. It rates highly in my list of favourite Kevin Smith Films (all them are good in my opinion). In order:

1. Chasing Amy

2. Clerks

3. Clerks II

4. Mallrats

5. Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back

6. Dogma

Thats definatley not to say i find Dogma to be shit, its just that it has a lot to live up to.

it's a brave man that puts chasing amy above clerks :)

it's a brave man that puts chasing amy above clerks :)

Chasing Amy's an awesome film, it's a lot braver plotwise than Clerks. And while Clerks is an awesome film too i think Chasing Amy has a lot more depth and the characters are better, not necessarily more likeable, but better developed and less one dimensional.

It's very under-rated.

Guest bluesxman
I thought it was great. It rates highly in my list of favourite Kevin Smith Films (all them are good in my opinion). In order:

1. Chasing Amy

2. Clerks

3. Clerks II

4. Mallrats

5. Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back

6. Dogma

Thats definatley not to say i find Dogma to be shit, its just that it has a lot to live up to.

You haven't mentioned Jersey Girl, is it so shit it's not worth it? Because I still haven't seen that one....

You haven't mentioned Jersey Girl, is it so shit it's not worth it? Because I still haven't seen that one....

It's not in the same series of films so i wasn't counting it for that reason. I guess i should've included it as it is a Kevin Smith film. Not sure where it would rank though, probably around about the same as Dogma

Depends what you're looking for in a movie. Jersey Girl is a fairly inoffensive romantic drama - its a bit like an American version of that Richard E Grant film "Jack and Sarah". If you go into it with expectations of another dick and fart joke bonanza then it will disappoint. On the other hand I rented it for my in-laws to watch (pretty much Mr and Mrs mainstream when it comes to films - I choose very carefully to avoid more "challenging" films for them:up: ) and they both enjoyed it.

Apart from the "bennifer" farrago surrounding its release it was probably pretty much doomed by fanboy expectations (makes me think of the scene at the end of Chasing Amy when the comic book geeks are all like "hey when are you gonna do more Bluntman and Chronic dude, they rocked that new shit you're doing is really gay!").

Personally, while I enjoyed Clerks II (my wife also pissed herself at the "Pillow Pants" bit) I do think Kevin Smith should really move on from Jay and Silent Bob and write something less "safe"