aberdeen-music

Queers gig...

Guest WalkingOnGlass

Bloody sore ankle from alst nights gig!

My Minds Weapon had fantastic set, and seemed much tighter than last tiem I seen them at Moshulu. Also glad to see more energy and effort put into their live performances.

10 Easy Wish were on form again, one of their main assets is their communication with the fans and makes the set much more enjoyable:)

Quuers were brilliant although their crowd interaction wasnt great and didnt put in a lot of energy it was still great to hear their songs and had a brilliant time. Was fucking ace to see them end on Ramones cover.

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

i enjoyed my minds weapon so much more than i thought i was going to, 10ew were excellento as usual, and i did like the queers, but left halfway through

Guest Scott 5FD

The Queers were awesome. for anyone interested* Five Finger Discount kinda have the same sound as The Queers, we're just not as good........yet. It was cool to see them cover 'Rock Away Beach' by The Ramones, and hey waddya know, 5FD do a Ramones cover too.

*this will be no-one.

Guest neil ex

i thought my mind's weapon sounded better than they did on the 3 track demo, well much tighter at least. ben's voice was a bit better aswell, but it still sounded bland and boring, but jamesy, however has a pretty decent screaming voice. although dan is technically a pretty gifted guitarist, the fancy, widdly guitar parts (the harmonics in places were the most memorable) seemed uneeded and sort of put in there mostly for show. they tried to be energetic, but never really delivered/acheived. it was a pretty average performance.

the only positive notes for me were on the performance side of things. the songs were poor i thought. they just sounded completely average, trendy and uninspiring. it was as if they set out to write songs that sound like other 'in' bands of the moment instead of trying to find any particular sound of their own. if that was the case, then they definately acheived that. i can't really remember any of the songs particularly well either. so on a whole, i thought it was a pretty average performance of a set of poor songs.

there you go, a fair review. i hope you, ben and jamesy, can take this on board without any bad spirit. i made an effort to come out and see you guys at a gig that wasn't really my thing at all. but one i enjoyed on the whole none the less.

i thought ten easy wishes were good. they were very tight. i liked jj's whole scrappy approach to playing the guitar, but found his voice a bit irritating after a while. tom's drumming was very good aswell. they've come on along way.

the queers were rather good i thought. i enjoyed them. you can here just by listening to them that they've had an influence on alot of bands, if not directly, indirectly. i think ten easy wishes being just one example. the ramones cover right at the end of there set was probably the highlight of the evening for me except for the game of pool i had by myself in the student union. but you can't win them all. oh yeah, and when the queers dedicated a song to 'the first band, funeral for a finch!'

it was a good night on the whole.

I thought the Queers were ok but they were a bit too progressive for me.

They should have played more than one song, although it was a very long song (about an hour long)

The song didn't have much variation, but I did like the way they introduced certain lyrics again and again thoughout it, eg the "this place sucks" bit. Very conceptual and reminded me of parts of Dream Theater's "metropolis part 2" album...

:D

Originally posted by neil ex:

although dan is technically a pretty gifted guitarist, the fancy, widdly guitar parts (the harmonics in places were the most memorable) seemed uneeded and sort of put in there mostly for show.

It could be for show. Or... On the other hand it could be for the fact that I love guitarists like Zakk Wylde and bands like killswitch enagage who both have widdly guitar bits and lots of harmonics. ;)

Guest alex.
Originally posted by Timson:

I agree with missdawn ! My Minds Weapon were pretty poop no offence to Dan Atom as he is a true legend !

this actually made me laugh...:laughing: cheers. :)

• 3 weeks later...