Black Forest Black Sea, Kitchen Cynics & 67

chilli

The detail:-

Interesting Music Promotions are delighted to announce:-

Sunday 18th April 04

Dr Drakes

Doors 8pm

Door tax 5

Black Forest Black Sea (from Providence RI USA)

are former members of of Idiitarod gtr, cello, electronics, 50/50 written/improv. Collaborators: Glenn Donaldson (Jewelled Antler),Christina Carter (Charalambides) & Fursaxa. They have been best described "glitchy improv - chamber - folk" & "new weird America psych folk". December's WIRE magazine described them as "genuinely strange". This is the UK leg of a three month European Tour

www.secreteye.org/bfbs/

Kitchen Cynics

Is local musician, wordsmith & all round good guy Alan Davidson & is

currently a permanent fixture on WMFU's playlist . Known in many countries

outwith the UK, he's relatively unknown in his home city, apart from those in the know.

He's appeared on many compilations & has well in excess of a dozen CD's

Alan is also inspiriation to a new generation to pick up an instrument & get playing.

He's also friends with NY explorers Sonic Youth, ask him..........

Are an enterprising new group, who are not afraid to experiment. They

comprises the Guitar, Keyboard and Programming noises of Dave Falconer,

the words and vocals of Kirsten Murray and the sounds of Flautist, Kat

Parkin. The band's 4 track ep, I am as big as my hand was released in February

of this year and the band are currently working on an album to follow.

"We endeavour to make an audio pick'n mix of gummy bear beats,

flying saucer synthesis, acoustic aniseed balls, mellow marshmallows

and vanilla fudge vocals".

Interesting Music diary dates

Sat 15th May

Sun 30th May

Wed 2nd June

Frid 4th June

Look out for the newsletter

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by psydoll:

Fantastic lineup for the Big Chill I tell thee! Coldcut! Bent! Lemon Jelly! ADFSS! To name but a few. I'd like to go but I'm over-festivalling as it is methinks.

Sadly missed Black Forest/Black Sea as I couldn't get away from work early enough :(

no u haven't its this sunday night, the 18th April, see u there, we can discuss the

merits of the Big Chill further?

Pitchfork Review

and here is the Pitchfork review

Black Forest/Black Sea

Forcefields and Constellations

[blueSanct; 2004]

Rating: 8.4

Kathy Acker wrote, "At night in every city I live in I walk down the streets to look for something that will mean something to me." At times, you can locate an inevitability by staying in one spot. To aid in the quest, Black Forest/Black Sea are making music for the roof and fire escape, helping you detail your view of the neighbor's tacky kitchen and your own obstructed portion of any already obstructed sky.

Forcefields and Constellations, the Rhode Island duo's second dose of interstellar gazing, sets adrift with the dreamy "Orion", a milky moon-drop instrumental featuring the guitarwork of guest performer Christina Carter (Charalambides). Here, Carter's guitar lobs tremolo darts at the nighttime, too busy to notice the melancholic swarm of voices that flit around her. Despite lasting under four minutes, the song creates an air of languid eternity. This protracted time/space collusion is a constant on Jeffrey Alexander and Miriam Goldberg's follow-up to last year's eponymous (and now out-of-print) debut as Black Forest/Black Sea, and by patiently dismantling the chamber-folk that made that record such a treat, they've initiated a whirlybird gale that blows compositional constraints wide open.

Chilly abstraction is an assured move for a sophomore record, but Alexander and Goldberg are seasoned psych-folk players: Alongside lyricist and multi-instrumentalist Carin Wagner, Alexander comprised the slowcore renaissance duo The Iditarod. Goldberg, though not a core member of that band, toured with them, and contributed cello, piano, and guitar to a number of their studio recordings. Packing this pedigree and collaborative dynamic into 13 tracks, Forcefields and Constellations creates a steely, diaphanous and fragile mass of delicate and complex instrumentation. Using voice sparingly, the focus falls on improvisation (or at least, something that sounds like improvisation). The duo also employs guest musicians-- including the aforementioned, freaked-out guitarwork of Christina Carter, and bouzouki from Jewelled Antler impresario Glenn Donaldson-- and samples the work of drone artists Frsaxa, as well as Black Forest/Black Sea's own past performances, which turns this album into something of a large-scale, open-door collaboration.

As with most successful recordings in this genre, it might seem dodgy to remove individual tracks from their context within the album-- after all, the shifts in gradation are half the fun-- but here, it makes sense, because a few numbers do stand out. "...with a dead man I've never met" is, like the album's opener, a heady instrumental featuring modulated cello and plucked banjo. But where "Orion" coasts on a gentle wave, this track takes a darker turn halfway through, becoming a churning noise squall (though it does retain the banjo's soft undertow). "These Things" follows a less dramatic pace: Goldberg's wonderfully raw and ethereal voice-- backed by tone delays, ringing chimes, and buzzing flourishes-- creates a lo-fi, 4AD-esque transition into the reverberations of "Kyy Plays Perpetual Change", which swings along a snippet of Finnish psych-rocker Kemialliset Ystvt's song, "Lammikko", evoking a dewy forest populated by tiny glitches and sine waves. Violin, staccato cello, a malfunctioning player piano, and distorted bells drive "Hung Far Lowish", with strings keeping pace beneath. It ends with a drizzle of moody machines, a lone green kite amid the subtle deterioration of weather.

Per psych's prescription, Forcefields and Constellations signs off with an even lengthier freakout, "Jamestown", which serves as a slow-built run-through of the band's strengths: Here, notes climb and shake and sustain themselves admirably, and Carter returns to add layers to the song's drift. Discordant air pockets and dyadic tone rings appear on occasion, but throughout its nine-minute run, the piece never commits to any one direction, ultimately flitting away as unprocessed as it arrived.

Black Forest/Black Sea take their time telling a story, and they avoid definitive conclusions; rather, this album's strengths lie in its fragmented, molasses trajectory and overall expansiveness. But there's much more here for patient listeners-- those who allow the connections to emerge or build tiny bridges themselves. If you're into song-based atmospherics and fractured folk, Forcefields and Constellations should prove a gratifying jigsaw. Just sit still a while.

-Brandon Stosuy, April 2nd, 2004

also can't find any flexidiscs on his compilations, of which there are 20+ contributions including the wonderful Tribute to Tom Rapp, with contribtions from Thurston Moore,

Bardo Pond, Kawabata Makoto (Acid Mothers), Fursaxa, BF/BS, Bevel amongst many luminaries.

As you can see Kitchen Cynics is held in the highest esteem by open minded people abroad. His profile in his home city should be higher..........

best wishes & hopefully see some new faces tomorrow night

Originally posted by ragudave:

Couldnt make the gig which was a bugger - as I had a bug all weekend.

How were BFBS and Mr Cynic ?

Dave

I hope you are wearing a sugical mask (abit like Clinic) on thursday night. Kitchen Cynics was in very fine form & his in between banter was excellent. 67 were charming & david's visuals were ace. Black Forest Black Sea were very improvised, very strange in places & astonishingly good. I applaud all those that really listened intently.

A very good night

Anyone who knows me will be aware of my huge admiration and dare I say it love for the music and work of Alan Davidson aka the Kitchen Cynics,

Alans song writing and tale telling in his music is truly wonderful he makes you laugh & cry takes you to another place which maybe a very dark place.

my last band VINYL BILL covered two kitchen cynics songs and then we had the honour to work with Alan on a project where we co-wrote a tune called Chinese Whispers which is still my favourite tune iv ever been involved in.

If your into singer songwriter music or folk or lo-fi or psych type stuff check out the kitchen cynics

Alan Davidson a true local hero!

Originally posted by Graeme:

Kitchen Cynics. The World's first exponent of Great Anti-Folk!

by his own admission as well, depends which way you say the the anti, ante or

aunty......................

i suggest anybody tries WMFU playlist the Irene Trudel show. Here you will find

Kitchen Cynics almost permanently on the play list, even more so than his esteemed

& mightly paid peers. They have some superb downloads of live sets including

Kitchen Cynics, Espers, the mighty Low etc etc

• 10 months later...