aberdeen-music

acoustic guitar

Metarie

i actually got one from Argos for my girlfriend for exactly the same reason (she never did stick at it though).

I think it was only 75 (or maybe I spent 10 more for the built in pickup, which is surprisingly not shite, Ian simpson take note).

The thing that I was surprised the most about was the intonation, you have to go past the 12th fret before it starts to fuck up, not bad for a cheapo acoustic.

Maybe I was just lucky though?

Failing that, get a second hand one.

Originally posted by soundian

i actually got one from Argos for my girlfriend for exactly the same reason (she never did stick at it though).

I think it was only 75 (or maybe I spent 10 more for the built in pickup, which is surprisingly not shite, Ian simpson take note).

The thing that I was surprised the most about was the intonation, you have to go past the 12th fret before it starts to fuck up, not bad for a cheapo acoustic.

Maybe I was just lucky though?

Failing that, get a second hand one.

Noted! Been trying out recording the piezoed acoustic this morning and it's still fucking shite and the HISS!! You wouldn't believe it! (well, actually you probably would...)

You can buy acoustic pick ups off ebay for about 30 at the moment. Don't know how good they are though. I'll be checking out the Argos guitar though - thought Baz was joking earlier this week...

Think she'd want to swap for a Yamaha F-310? I'll remove the piezo first of course!

Originally posted by Frosty Jack

You have a guitar that dispenses little sweets??? How cool is that!

Or am I getting confused again?

*paradiddles*

Erm, in a word, yes.

Althouh you may have given me an idea, throw the sweets at the people snoring during his set so they too can suffer with the rest of us.

Erm, in a word, yes.

Althouh you may have given me an idea, throw the sweets at the people snoring during his set so they too can suffer with the rest of us.

Or just cover the floor with skittles so they can't escape. Hmm. Once again you've given me a great idea. Ta!

I had an Argos acoustic once and it was horrible, really bloody awful. But is probably alright for learning on I suppose.

If you have a little more to spend R&B have a good range of budget acoustics and electro-acoustics. Go along and try some out see what you like.

Originally posted by Chris

If you have a little more to spend R&B have a good range of budget acoustics and electro-acoustics

And funnily enough Bruce Millers also have a range of cheaper acoustics

There is a cool Westfield reduced from 139.00 to 99.00

True theres rarely anything below 99.00

But you have to pay for quality!!

I hear the after sales service on musical instruments in Argos is excellent!

:laughing:

i agree, i think shaun will aswell, bruce millers!! I got a kimbara a while ago my 1st acoustic well it was a semi-acoustic em 179 did the job, but i got a new jim deacon semi-acoustic for like free cuz my g/f bought it for me it was like 200 so u see she's well trained!! or u could jus steal one!!

danny.

disclaimer: I do not agree or permit the stealing of anything as it's against the law, blah blah babbling shite!

howz that?

go ask the same qurestion on www.guitarchat.co.uk (or via www.regentguitars.co.uk, its their forum)

and you do pay for what you get with acoustics more, cheaper wood will have much more of a degrading effect compared to an electrics which can be partly hidden behind the pickups

having said that though, i got a 3/4 argos acoustic from a friend for my birthday and i do like the sound of it quite a lot

David

Guest Dresden Style
Originally posted by spellchecker

You could try ebay. There's lots to be had for good prices, as long as you have a friend to guide you through the rubbish. EE or P&J is always good for a look pre-christmas, and most people will take a beating on price.

Ha !

EE or P&J ARE always good for a look pre-christmas

tut tut

Originally posted by Frostilicus

One thing though - the most off putting thing about learning to play guitar can be playing a shit instrument... too high action ,the frets buzz, cut your fingers etc etc

Best thing is to spend as much as you can afford on a decent name guitar...

Playing something with a dodgy action actually helped me, my finger strength was so much better than most people. Have I not shown you the difference in my finger spans (that bit's for Frostilicus)?

Learning on something a bit shit means that you can judge more readily if it's for you.When you decide it's time to invest money, something good is so much easier to play.

It is also perfectly correct to say 'EE or P+J are...'.

'at all times there has been a tendency to use the plural with two or more singular objects when their mutual exclusion is not emphasised' (OED)

Hmm, interesting. Where is this OED you talk about? Is it a website, or a copy you just happen to have handily next to your computer?

So would that mean by emphasising the mutual exclusion, the following would be incorrect:

"Either the EE or the P&J are always good for a look pre-christmas"

??

I think both sound odd now. Perhaps I should have just simplified it to "Check scot-ads".

If you say 'EE or P&J is' you imply one or the other is good, not both.

If you say 'EE or P&J are good' you imply one or the other or both are good.

Strictly grammatically incorrect (the second one), but the different meaning, and continued long term usage, make it a valuable contribution to clarity.