aberdeen-music

Kula Shaker

Does anyone think there will be a day in aberdeen where a band willl play and not everyone will moan about it? Kula Shaker are, imo, an excellent live band and have 2 really good albums. Regardless of this, Radiohead, Manics, Bluetones, Supergrass...the list goes on...bands from that era that still play together. Does it make it any different the fact they split up? Am I missing something here? Can only be a good thing that they are playing. At least it will make the 300 odd people who go see them happy. And if you don't like it, don't go. Its not rocket science.

That aside, really looking forward to seeing them.should have a nice intimate atmosphere and should be quite a unique night.

Ciaranxx

Does anyone think there will be a day in aberdeen where a band willl play and not everyone will moan about it?

Just because they're playing in town it doesn't mean I'll not think they're shite.

Kula Shaker are' date=' imo, an excellent live band and have 2 really good albums. Regardless of this, Radiohead, Manics, Bluetones, Supergrass...the list goes on...bands from that era that still play together. Does it make it any different the fact they split up?

[/quote']

I'm not sure of the logic of the comparison here. Radiohead are a band that have constantly evolved and experimented. it makes fuck all difference whether KS split or not to people's less than complimentry opinions of them.

Am I missing something here?

Just good music by decent bands.

Can only be a good thing that they are playing. At least it will make the 300 odd people who go see them happy. And if you don't like it' date=' don't go. Its not rocket science.

[/quote']

exactly - and it's not rocket science to point out that if people don't like them then let them have their opinions.

That aside' date=' really looking forward to seeing them.should have a nice intimate atmosphere and should be quite a unique night.

Ciaranxx[/quote']

well, each to their own. "unique" is one way of putting it......

I'm not saying that because they are playing in town means that you have to think they are ace, cause there are plenty of bands that play aberdeen that i think are terrible, the difference is, if i think a band that is playing is poor, i wont pay to go see them and wont talk about them cause i wouldn't see the point in wasting energy moaning about it. I just don't know why there has to be a negative view on the fact that a band as big as Kula Shaker WERE playing in aberdeen. Everyone compains that there are hardly any gigs on in town, and when there is, everybody complains anyway.

I can see your point with Radiohead, but i also named other bands that, to say the least, haven't progressed in a way that Radiohead have... Bluetones haven't changed a bit, and Supergrass are still essentially a british rock band. The end of the day, not every band is to everyone's taking, but this has surely got to be a good event. I can't see how you can say otherwise, regardless of music taste.

I agree that people have opinions, and i'm just expressing mine, not even just as Kula Shaker fan, but as a music fan in general. I think its good that Aberdeen, and Drummonds, can attract a band of that calibre. Might not be to taste but you can't argue with record sales and the fact they pretty much sold-out in a day. The demand is there and they obviously still enjoy playing.

Frech_disko, I can see your point and i hear where you coming from man. I just think there are more positives than negatives.

Apologies in advance for poor grammar/spelling

Ciaranxx

i really liked both kula shaker albums. it's great that people will get the chance to see them somewhere as intimate as drummonds. as Tronaliser says, people piss and moan that bands don't play Aberdeen and when they do, they piss and moan some more. or course, people on these boards are only really interested in gigs by noisexfusionxcore bands that attract 7 people. that's the real sign of a vibrant scene, don't you know.

/x

• 2 weeks later...

I quite liked both Kula Shaker albums too, when i was 16/17. In answer to the earler question, (is Jay Darlington part of this?) the answer is no. For those who don't know, he is the long haired chap seen to play keys with Oasis when they tour and record, and when Kula Shaker were at their height, he was the organist (right word? = organ player).

There's a wicked rumour on the interweb that the K-ShWAGs (Kula Shaker Wives and Girlfriends) don't actually get on... that may have been a contributing factor in JD's delcline to join his old band.

I quite liked both Kula Shaker albums too' date=' when i was 16/17. In answer to the earler question, (is Jay Darlington part of this?) the answer is no. For those who don't know, he is the long haired chap seen to play keys with Oasis when they tour and record, and when Kula Shaker were at their height, he was the organist (right word? = organ player).

There's a wicked rumour on the interweb that the K-ShWAGs (Kula Shaker Wives and Girlfriends) don't actually get on... that may have been a contributing factor in JD's delcline to join his old band.[/quote']

I'm sure he's getting a nice little pay packet playing with Oasis as well. ;)

At least it will make the 300 odd people who go see them happy

I don't think I would be happy if I paid good money to see an old band that I loved well passed their sell-by-date and a shadow of their former selves perform.

Pixies, on the other hand... :up: