aberdeen-music

Electricity bills

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Anybody ever been able to pay back overdue electricity money in convenient installments? I've been living at my current address for nearly a year and never once been billed, despite phoning 'em up several times. I need to get it sorted but I dont want them to cut my precious electricity off if i can't pay em hundreds of bucks straight away. Does anybody know if they are usually decent about splitting up the repayments?

Rather than phoning, you ought to put it on paper as well, keep copies & send it recorded/registered. If you can prove you made reasonable attempts/offered to pay but were ignored. It is unlikley that you will be expected to make back payments.

Also, power/gas companies can be utterly appaling when it comes to managing back payments & initially, they do tend to be utter shits at making unreasonable demands. I went right throught to the debt-collector stage with Scottish Power once, not because I owed them anything but because they credited my payments to the right months in the wrong year. It was literally an "oh, I've just checked your account for 2000 & it seems to be a bit overpayed" moment! If they do get on your bsck, kep calm & keep pushing firmly till you get put through to someone with the authority to make decisions.

If you do want to pay-up tho, they are obliged to offer you terms within your means & at worst, you can insist they take you to court & pay at the court-mandated rate, which is not much. Under Scots law, they more or less have to accept any offer you make them. Equally, if there are any health issues to consider, they are forbidden to cut you off as well.

Don't get a card meter, the rate is unattractive & you can end-up with other problems if you want to change or your housing provider starts to do dodgy franchising deals.

Remember this site for info/complaints:

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/index.asp

also slightly related, remember to double check the meter serial numbers on the bill with what's in your meter box. I got a disgustingly large bill once due to their engineer replacing the wrong meter in my flat (I have total heating, no control so have two electricity meters). As I'd spotted it I refused to pay until they checked it and sent me a new bill, which when it came through was for the princely sum of £20 instead of £170.

also slightly related' date=' remember to double check the meter serial numbers on the bill with what's in your meter box. [/quote']

Very true. Also the actual meter numbers as well. I've had a £270 estimated bill reduced to £12 when they got the actual numbers. Well-worth getting it revised if the bills are a succession of estimates, they will take a reading from you over the phone.

12 bill? That's hyper low.

It was a small, warm flat & I'd junked the telly & done the basics of power economising.

Quite amazing how much you can save by taking a few basic steps! :)

Equally, the standards for estimates seem to be based on the family Volt who probably mainline the stuff.

Guest onlynik

I saw an interseting presentaiton today saying how Intel chips use much more power than AMDs when idel, and when stressed. Remember kids turn everything off at night.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Anybody ever been able to pay back overdue electricity money in convenient installments? I've been living at my current address for nearly a year and never once been billed' date=' despite phoning 'em up several times. I need to get it sorted but I dont want them to cut my precious electricity off if i can't pay em hundreds of bucks straight away. Does anybody know if they are usually decent about splitting up the repayments?[/quote']

You'll be fine, don't worry. I once ran up a hooringly large bill so they divided it into 12 and I paid that, plus my normal rate, for a year in 12 instalments.

Guest scott cs.
Or ask for a card meter' date='This way everytime u put a 5 or 10 card in itll take a certain percentage (Altho card meters are slightly more expensive you will pay off your excisting debt and not be left short)[/quote']

Card meters are more expensive? In what way?

I have a card meter so would i be better/save money switching to a monthly bill?

Anybody ever been able to pay back overdue electricity money in convenient installments? I've been living at my current address for nearly a year and never once been billed' date=' despite phoning 'em up several times. I need to get it sorted but I dont want them to cut my precious electricity off if i can't pay em hundreds of bucks straight away. Does anybody know if they are usually decent about splitting up the repayments?[/quote']

Hook a brother up!

Card meters are more expensive? In what way?

I have a card meter so would i be better/save money switching to a monthly bill?

They charge a higher standing rate and also charge more per unit of electricity used. So yeah, you'd be better off switching to a bill :)