aberdeen-music

Singing + Smoking.

Old Gold

Well that's made my day! has to be one of the funniest posts I seen since the "I don't drink for up to a week before a gig" one.

A big pipe should do the trick....but I don't recommend you do it as it's bad for your health.

Health shmealth. We're talking about sounding like Tom Waits here!

A big pipe you say.... nothing to be said for chowin' on a fine cigar?

Or smoking it if you're that way inclined.

So 'smokey' vocals and death or working your voice to the top condition it's most suited to?

Your choice folks.

Ah, but imagine how awesome your last growled words would be on your cancer induced death bed, compared to the richly textured 'fuck!' that you'd emit as your aeroplane crashed into the side of Mount Rushmore.

But yes. This thread is as tasteless as Tesco's value Lager.

Ah' date=' but imagine how awesome your last growled words would be on your cancer induced death bed, compared to the richly textured 'fuck!' that you'd emit as your aeroplane crashed into the side of Mount Rushmore.[/quote']

"If you see that fucking camel give him one from me."

Smoking: allegedly the best way to develop vocals chords like Mark Lanegan and Tom Waits forbidden love child.

But how well does it work? And what's the best thing to smoke to achieve such growling tones? A fuckin' pipe?

Let's support or dispell some myths folks.

I have recorded people who smoke and people who do not smoke and in my experience (of some 38 years of recording vocals) is that there are only two differences that I have noticed:

1. Smokers are more likely to sing flat.

2. Smokers who sing a great deal often get cancer of the throat in later years.