aberdeen-music

Piano

less_than_stu

Are there any other guitarists/bassists out there who wish they could be bothered to learn piano?

I was just listening to "Under the Weeping Willow" by Grandaddy, which is just piano and vocals, and I realised - as I often do- that the piano can sound so wonderful sometimes. I really wish I could play it.

I've just realised this thread has very little real point. Oh well, if you're reading it, you may as well tell me if you know what I'm talking about.

I played piano from when I was 6 til about 12 when I picked up the guitar, and I stopped piano because it just became laborious having to practice and I couldn't play the kinda music I was getting into on the piano, I got to grade 4 I think. Although nowadays I wish I had at least practiced a we bit cos i'm not as good at it when I go back to try piano....however, I have been considering picking it up again, or maybe just a keyboard because I find that the music I am getting into NOW relates to the piano a lot more. I did learn the intro to "Her Ghost in the Fog" on the piano and a few bits from "Learning to Live" and it sounds fucking fantastic!

Jamie Cullum makes me wish I could play piano, he's amazing! but at the moment I'm actually more keen on learning to play cello again, I gave up at school for some random reason and now I totally regret it! Gonna see if I can get a second hand one from somewhere and teach myself again!

Guest Scott 5FD

there's cool bonus tracks on the 5 Cent Deposit album that are just piano and vocals. for a pop-punk band, their songs work well on piano (don't anyone mention SoCo, coz their just shit).

i would like to play piano, i'm sure i saw a tutor book somewhere that had rock song adaptations for piano and keyboard. Sarah might be getting a new piano soon, so maybe she can teach me.

I learned piano when i was about 8, quit at 15 and can hardly remember anything decent except crap like Fur Elise and 'Sonata in C'! drummed into my skull for all eternity!!! Started playin again the other day after hearin Counting Crows 'Colour Blind' and its not easy goin back to it, wish i'd never stopped! Playin by ears ok but aint got a chance with reading piano music now!

Guest pop-notmyface

its not too late to start learning playing piano, in fact playing piano is easy. being really good at it is a lot harder. and if youre good at multitasking, then playing piano is for you.

I used to play violin, but gave it up, so I know hte feeling of quitting something cos practicing is a chore or it ain't relevant to what you wanna do. But now, listening to Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappeli (one of the best jazz violinists ever), it makes me want to go back.

I'd still rather learn sitar, piano, trumpet and trombone though... I wanna be bale to join a jazz/dixieland band in the future.

Piano is such a wonderful instrument. I love to compose ideas at the piano. Being self-taught means I don't feel restricted by any codes of practice too. Once I have an idea I can go to the midi keyboard and put it down as midi - then feed it back out to electronic instruments. So many possibilities. Check out Robert Wyatt's use of piano - stunningly simple and beautiful...

Guest neil ex

my sister is grade 8 at piano, she can play all this really difficult stuff but she's nae a great pianist. i only did up to grade 2, i stopped doing grades cause they were no fun. i still like to play though.

I'm sitting grade 6 a week tomorrow, i can't wait to get it out the way beacause i can play nicer songs which are grade 7/8, it was the theory test that annoyed me, that took sooo much time preparing for it. Grades aren't fun....i've missed quite a few out because of that reason.