aberdeen-music

Interviewing

Bass Cadet

I work far too hard, and my boss agrees, so she's given me finance to hire a P/T assistant. The past couple of days I've been interviewing people at work - what a bunch of misfits! One of the candidates (who looked the best on paper) couldn't string a sentence together! and another girl turned up for her interview in a dirty chav tracksuit, and then sat with her legs spread as wide as possible for the whole interview! I'm a complete virgin when it comes to interviewing / Hiring folk and am finding the whole process rather scary.

Anyone else have any experience of hiring/firing? Got any tips for me?

Also anyone looking for a P/T job (16-20 Hours/week) - 6.41/hour Excel & Access experience preferred send us your CV because I'm definately not hiring any of the applicants I've interviewed so far.

Man, I'm stressed out! o_O

Interviews suck, I had one a few weeks ago where the guy assured me that the job was mine...then mysteriously, no letter or phone call came. I know someone say that I should've chased it up - but who wants to work for somewhere that can't even keep track of your details?

Bass Cadet - this might or might not be much use, but look at who they've listed as referees before giving them an interview. If they haven't listed people directly relevant to their last jobs, I wouldn't bother with them. Might be worth giving them a quick interview over the phone too, just to rule out the incoherent dribbling fools. Can't think of any way off the top of my head to rule out potential chavs, though, given that some of them can be quite bright but still utter neds. Ruling them out on the basis of location is dodgy, but looking at what school courses they did as a whole might be a way forward.

You're offering quite a decent wage (where do I apply? ;)), so I would be fussy over it - don't feel pressured into taking someone for the sake of it - the right person will turn up, it's probably just a waiting game. I also wouldn't bother with students, although they might be more than capable of doing the job, they're probably not a good bet for someone reliable and willing to work extra hours if needs be.

And - something I picked up from an interview a while back. Ask them, on the spot, to give you three words that describe their positives, and then three words describing their negatives. It's almost impossible to bullshit on the negative part, so it should give you an insight into how they work.

For the experience of Excel part, I'd ask them to give you some examples on the spot of formulae within Excel - which again should sort out the bullshitters from the ones that can actually use it. It depends on how much experience you want them to have, but be careful of people who will be repeating from school work - maybe ask them if they've used Excel for themselves?

hope this helps :)

I also wouldn't bother with students' date=' although they might be more than capable of doing the job, they're probably not a good bet for someone reliable and willing to work extra hours if needs be.[/quote']

see up until this point i was starting to like you, then you spoiled it.

Not all students are lazy and unmotivated, if they were, they wouldn't pass courses and exams and end up with degrees. You could say the same about all musicians, they only do music cause it doesn't require working regular hours. I know it's a generalisation and the majority aren't in a band for that reason, but you get some people that are and the fact your generalising in this way shows how ignorant and narrow minded you are.

Bass Cadet - this might or might not be much use' date=' but look at who they've listed as referees before giving them an interview. If they haven't listed people directly relevant to their last jobs, I wouldn't bother with them. Might be worth giving them a quick interview over the phone too, just to rule out the incoherent dribbling fools. Can't think of any way off the top of my head to rule out potential chavs, though, given that some of them can be quite bright but still utter neds. Ruling them out on the basis of location is dodgy, but looking at what school courses they did as a whole might be a way forward.

You're offering quite a decent wage (where do I apply? ;)), so I would be fussy over it - don't feel pressured into taking someone for the sake of it - the right person will turn up, it's probably just a waiting game. I also wouldn't bother with students, although they might be more than capable of doing the job, they're probably not a good bet for someone reliable and willing to work extra hours if needs be.

For the experience of Excel part, I'd ask them to give you some examples on the spot of formulae within Excel - which again should sort out the bullshitters from the ones that can actually use it. It depends on how much experience you want them to have, but be careful of people who will be repeating from school work - maybe ask them if they've used Excel for themselves?

hope this helps :)[/quote']

I only had 4 applicants so I just interviewed everyone - I find chatting to new people on work time preferable to actually doing any work.

As for the Excel/access thing. It's not spreadsheets or formulae i need the candidate to be good at, It's the database extraction (MS Query) I need proficiency in. But saying that I'm willing to train anyone who is fairly computer literate. I'm not expecting the person who gets the job to be proficient in the database/clinical system we use so i expected to have to do a fair bit of training anyway.

And if you fancy the job, send us an e-mail and I'll send you a job description.

see up until this point i was starting to like you' date=' then you spoiled it.

Not all students are lazy and unmotivated, if they were, they wouldn't pass courses and exams and end up with degrees. You could say the same about all musicians, they only do music cause it doesn't require working regular hours. I know it's a generalisation and the majority aren't in a band for that reason, but you get some people that are and the fact your generalising in this way shows how ignorant and narrow minded you are.[/quote']

I wouldn't really want a student because I would presume that they only wanted the job temporarily till they finished their uni course. Then all the training i had given them would be for nothing.

see up until this point i was starting to like you' date=' then you spoiled it.

Not all students are lazy and unmotivated, if they were, they wouldn't pass courses and exams and end up with degrees. You could say the same about all musicians, they only do music cause it doesn't require working regular hours. I know it's a generalisation and the majority aren't in a band for that reason, but you get some people that are and the fact your generalising in this way shows how ignorant and narrow minded you are.[/quote']

I think the pont Cloud was trying to make was that students don't have a lot of time on their hands so have a job like this would be hard considering it will clash with a lot of Uni lectures/tutorials/deadlines.

I think the pont Cloud was trying to make was that students don't have a lot of time on their hands so have a job like this would be hard considering it will clash with a lot of Uni lectures/tutorials/deadlines.

Yeah, it was, sorry for not making that clear. I ran into the same problem a couple of years ago - I had managed to somehow land a really good job with a supermarket, basically being given the run of the Customer Services department, effectively helping other stuff and customers as required. It was great, but when they asked me to go from 16 hours a week to nearer 30 (and I took it, the money was working out at £6-odd an hour because of overtime payments), I was constantly tired and pretty much slacking as a result - which ended up in having to cut right back to 16 hours a week because any more was killing me.

Not everyone is going to be the same as me, but it's hard to imagine that a student will be able to be that flexible when it comes to it.

Yeah' date=' it was, sorry for not making that clear. I ran into the same problem a couple of years ago - I had managed to somehow land a really good job with a supermarket, basically being given the run of the Customer Services department, effectively helping other stuff and customers as required. It was great, but when they asked me to go from 16 hours a week to nearer 30 (and I took it, the money was working out at 6-odd an hour because of overtime payments), I was constantly tired and pretty much slacking as a result - which ended up in having to cut right back to 16 hours a week because any more was killing me.

Not everyone is going to be the same as me, but it's hard to imagine that a student will be able to be that flexible when it comes to it.[/quote']

What a woos! I'm workin 54 hours a week at the moment and I'm in 2 bands and I still manage to both funtion well and have an excellent time!

My boss said yesterday "I hope you don't get too stressed about work when you aren't here"

I said " No danger, this job is just to support my rock n roll lifestyle"

She looked rather shocked!

Sorry to anyone who has asked for a job description. I have sent the e-mails but our server is a mess, I don't have access to the shared drive, tinternet is only deciding to work sporadically and external e-mails are not getting through! They are in a que to be sent as soon as the problems are fixed - Many apologies!

I have found someone - Hurrah! He's got medical knowlege, computer literacy and he's lovely eye candy, and that will entertain me when I'm bored - what more could a girl want! I can't believe I was so stressed about finding somebody earlier in the week when things have worked out so well. Thanx to you all for your support!

perhaps working in the field of fine art. maybe in a gallery or museum. maybe working for a dealership. then again, many employers nowadays don't look for people with degrees in their field, they look for people with a good class of degree and the right skills and experience to become a valuable part of their team, so a fine art degree might well open more doors than you think.

/x

So what are you planning to be when you grow up? I always struggle to think up jobs an art degree would be relevant to......

Jesus listen to yourself.....thats the kind of question my mother in law asks my son...he's about to graduate from Glasgow school of art......he did the degree because he wants to be an ARTIST.....!!

Jesus listen to yourself.....thats the kind of question my mother in law asks my son...he's about to graduate from Glasgow school of art......he did the degree because he wants to be an ARTIST.....!!

Thats obvious! I think that my post looks diffrent written down from what it sounded like in my head (If you know what I mean)

It just seems that there are more people graduate from art school than manage to succeed as artists or in art related jobs. Out of the 7 art students I knew 10 years ago, only one of them has a job painting scenery in a theatre, 3 are unemployed and the other 3 are working menial jobs - all of them are really quite talented. I was just wondering about what Trippinoneastereggs ambitions were - no need to take a hairy Graeme!

no need to take a hairy Graeme!

Why do people always interpret my post like that? I didn't take a "hairy" or any other form of fit for that matter...

Isn't it the case with most degrees that the student doesn't go on to pursue a career directly related to the degree....with the obvious exception of medicine or law and a few others.

Why do people always interpret my post like that? I didn't take a "hairy" or any other form of fit for that matter...

It's because what you type, it doesn't always read like it sounds in your head - I have that all the time!

Isn't it the case with most degrees that the student doesn't go on to pursue a career directly related to the degree....with the obvious exception of medicine or law and a few others.

I dunno - Most people I know who graduated have jobs related to their degrees - apart from the afore mentioned art students! I've only got 7 standard grades so I wouldn't know much about uni at all.