aberdeen-music

Sister Resist - This Friday - Cherrystones, Tells, Hookers Green No.1,dj Giles Walker

capn

From the people that brought you, 'The Holy Bible', 'The parting of the Red Sea' and 'Peace on Earth', now comes...

SISTER, RESIST! THIS FRIDAY AT THE TUNNELS! 5/6

CHERRYSTONES - (Twisted Nerve) (on a bit later on)

Obsessive archivist of counter culture and one-man B-Music mercenary. A DJ whose eternal quest for far-out jazz and untapped hip-hop treats is insatiable.

TELLS - (Fire Records) (on after Hookers Green)

Husband and wife team arise from the the ashes of Delicate Awol - a band that reaped comparisons with Mogwai, Stereolab and Tortoise.

HOOKERS GREEN NO.1 - (Snowstorm) (on between half nine and half ten)

Nu-Pop Apocalypse. Disaster-obsessed sing-a-longs and catastrophic melodies.

DJ Giles Walker

Visual Dave

Resident DJs - Richard, Nana le Popsocks, Joe McHearts NY, Jade Turgenev and D-Lo

thought somebody could tell(s) Jim & Caroline this

Boomkat album of the week

The surprise of the week comes packaged in the form of the debut album from Tells - a perfect leftfield pop album that sits somewhere between the understated introspection of Low and the kindergarten quirk of Psapp,

ALBUM OF THE WEEK!

TELLS - Hope Your Wounds Heal

Fire Records

CD // 9.99

This was a big surprise to us here, and has barely come off the office stereo for the past couple of weeks. The project of Caroline Ross (known for her work with Susumu Yokota) and Jim Version (who has recorded albums for Bonnie Prince Billy and Alasdair Roberts among others), `Hope All Your Wounds Heal' is a subtle blend of delicate post rock (in the vein of label mates Bark Psychosis for want of a comparison) and slowcore indie a-la Low, etched with the quasi-quirky handling of Psapp somewhere along the line. The gorgeously realised tracks are carried by Ross's addictive vocals, which are clear and unpretentious, hauntingly propelling the album and giving the tracks an emotional resonance which is hard to forget. Anyone searching for an alternative pop record with genuine emotion and a strong line in deft originality should look no further than this album, it manages to experiment successfully without ever disappearing into it's indulgence - ending up with a pure gem to warm the cockles. Highly Recommended....

thought somebody could tell(s) Jim & Caroline this

Boomkat album of the week

The surprise of the week comes packaged in the form of the debut album from Tells - a perfect leftfield pop album that sits somewhere between the understated introspection of Low and the kindergarten quirk of Psapp' date='

ALBUM OF THE WEEK!

TELLS - Hope Your Wounds Heal

Fire Records

CD // 9.99

This was a big surprise to us here, and has barely come off the office stereo for the past couple of weeks. The project of Caroline Ross (known for her work with Susumu Yokota) and Jim Version (who has recorded albums for Bonnie Prince Billy and Alasdair Roberts among others), `Hope All Your Wounds Heal' is a subtle blend of delicate post rock (in the vein of label mates Bark Psychosis for want of a comparison) and slowcore indie a-la Low, etched with the quasi-quirky handling of Psapp somewhere along the line. The gorgeously realised tracks are carried by Ross's addictive vocals, which are clear and unpretentious, hauntingly propelling the album and giving the tracks an emotional resonance which is hard to forget. Anyone searching for an alternative pop record with genuine emotion and a strong line in deft originality should look no further than this album, it manages to experiment successfully without ever disappearing into it's indulgence - ending up with a pure gem to warm the cockles. Highly Recommended....[/quote']

Just back from the Tunnels. Great gig. The acoustics weren't great for Hookers, but Tells were brilliant.

Jim's been my guitar tutor for ages and amazingly, that's the first time I've seen them live . Caroline has a fantastic voice and considering their backing vocalist pulled out at the last minute, the whole thing was tight (even though they did have two goes at "Ismbard Kingdom Brunel").

I did threaten to go up and shred, but Jim was having none of it. I don't think it would have worked and my wife would have killed me. Anyway I was pished and didn't have "The Lester" with me.

A great night.

DZL