aberdeen-music

Bebo...all it's cracked up to be?

Bowl O' Alpen

I hardly think so.....

Maybe old MySpace whores have joined Bebo as they see it as a more underground' date=' cooler MySpace-type site where only the best people go - the majority trying to be in the minority so to speak.[/quote']

I registered with Bebo about a year ago, encouraged by a pal who lives abroad as an easy way to keep in touch. All I seem to get are teenage wankers getting in touch and inviting me round to their mum's house (when she is on holiday) for 'fun'. Or my friends nieces being 14 year old trollops and making me want to slap them.

I think you get a better quality of weirdos on myspace.

i have a bebo account with no profile, purely to harass my 13 year old sister, who's not yet old enough for myspace. it's amazing how many 'witty' guys claim they went to albyn on bebo.

stroppycow is right. the quality of weirdo is far superiour on myspace, plus you get to push your musical tastes on other people.

i have a bebo account with no profile' date=' purely to harass my 13 year old sister, who's not yet old enough for myspace. it's amazing how many 'witty' guys claim they went to albyn on bebo.

stroppycow is right. the quality of weirdo is far superiour on myspace, plus you get to push your musical tastes on other people.[/quote']

Hear hear!! Currently any poor fool who finds me on myspace gets a blast of Acoustic Ladyland as soon as the page opens, and very character building it is too.

Right. Its such a glorious sunny day that I have that Friday feeling and am off to sit in the dark tunnel that is the Moorings.

Cheers!

• 4 years later...
After yet another hour of worthless trawling of profiles of people I have never/will never meet in my life I'm really starting to question whether Bebo is actually beneficial to my life.

In a purely statistical form, I'm currently 85% non-beneficial...

Bebo is a an over-hyped, life-sapping phenomenon which will soon die out.

Discuss.

Not far off the mark, whoever you are.... check out these statistics:

It was acquired by AOL on March 13, 2008 for $850 million.[4][5] In April 2010, AOL announced it was planning to sell or shut down Bebo,[6] with the sale being completed on June 17, 2010 to Criterion Capital Partners for an undisclosed sum[7]. It has been reported that the sale raised less than $10 million[8].

A loss of $840m in two years? That's pretty awesome....

I binned Bebo years ago, it was all the fucking spam that drove me crazy, though I was never off it when it was at it's peak.

When I first got it all my mates were on it and it was awesome, but a couple years later of my 250 friends, there were only about 5 that were still active, and I got about ten emails a day from spambots that were usually identical word for word ("Hey I've been checking out your profile and you're cute! :-) Hit me up on MSN so we can chat"). And I got about ten friend requests from spambots as well. ("You can see more of my hot pics on ....") It just fucked me off having to trawl through it all so it got binned.

Why did AOL want to bin it? Do they own myspace or something?

Presumably because it isn't cost effective to be paying for this massive site that nobody uses any more. They have to pay for developers, coders, administrators, researchers and all this shit, which costs a bomb. And all the money they take in comes from advertising, which is probably dictated by visitor numbers, IE if a company is willing to pay millions to advertise on a site that has 100m users, it's not going to pay as much to advertise on a site that only has 1m. Thus less money is coming in.

EDIT - according to several articles, when they bought it it had 40m users, and when they sold it it had 12m.