aberdeen-music

anyone know how much fiddle lessons cost?

framheim

Why not try a more guitarist friendly fretted violin: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fretted-Violin-Full-size-Acoustic-Electric_W0QQitemZ7406276382QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Half the battle is done' date=' so you'll be able to concentrate on the bowing which isn't as easy as you might think.[/quote']

ha, cool! i am under no illusions as to how difficult bowing is. i've had a shot of a few violins and thought "how hard can it be?" and then realised exactly how hard it can be.

what tuning do fiddles use generally anyway? is there a standard fiddle tuning?

• 2 years later...

fiddle lesson price

been thinking about learning to play the fiddle for ages but i have no idea how much lessons cost or who would do them. is it a hard instrument to learn?

i probably wouldn't be able to afford it till after the summer but figured i'd get an idea now.

I have been going to fiddle lessons for a year and have just passed grade three its not that hard to learn the price is between 12 & 15 per half hour but my teacher does not really bother with time i usually get about an hour my teacher is from shetland and is very good

but it is beside peterhead

Violins (and other classical string instruments) 'evolved' from viols around 400 years ago...and viols had frets!

If you think about it adding frets to a violin would not be a step forward, it might make it easier to play, but it takes away some of the capabilities and alters the sound.

Ever wondered why people bother with a fretless bass? Smoother tone, ability to play 'between' the frets, sweet slides and glissandi, more effective vibrato...etc.

'Dots' are useful as a teaching aid, when I had double bass lessons as a child my teacher would mark each new position with stickers...but over the months you get used to finding the notes without looking, and of course this makes you use your ear too ;)

Yeah I was just informing the dude who suggested violins should 'evolve' and get frets ;)

I suppose they have already had the greatest possible evolutionary leap forward by going electric.

But to be super serial, it is beyond doubt to me that it is harder to play an unfretted instrument than a fretted one, more so if bowing is concerned. I was more amazed that they had invented one that I could thoretically get a note out of, than making a statement about the linear evolution of the stringed instrument, hence kithara, as played by Apollo in legend.*

*Starbuck played frakn bass.