aberdeen-music

Avian Flu is here

Guest onlynik

it has happened - they base it on the empirical evidence from the 1918' date=' 1958 and 1967-68 pandemics, all of which developed from or can be traced back to avian flu, the 1918 influenza estimated to have killed more people than world war 1 itself.

like has been said, the threat isn't immediate, it's more if the flu strain mutates into a more infectious form, as happened in the 1918 influenza, that things will go titsup.com. at least that's what the world wide interweb told me.[/quote']

Well I for 1 aint getting too uptight about something that occured 88yrs ago.

What the fuck can we do about it anyway.....lets worry like fuck when/if it happens....in the meantime......chill!!

Oh and you forgot to quote this statistic...."1997: 'Avian flu' outbreak in Hong Kong. Six people die."

Now I'm scared...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 people may not seem a big deal to you, but out of the 18 or so people who were infected by that outbreak that's a 1/3 of them who died.

I wouldn't say that the health care in Hong Kong was "5th rate" either.

I'm not saying "be afraid, be very afraid", but this virus is a serious threat and should be taken as such.

Dont believe I said it was....?(
Yes' date=' 100 people have died, mostly in asian countries and in remote/poor areas where the diagnosis and treatment is 5th rate.

[/quote']

?(

Easy to misunderstand...

I hate the way the media are portraying this, it's almost as if they're trying to scare people with their dramatic headlines. Yes, I know that bird flu is potentially dangerous, but there's no need for this media frenzy over the damn thing. Instead of getting in a panic, I'd prefer the media to be educating the public on precautions, and advising them that they can still eat chickens, etc.

At least this way, they're being helpful.

there's no need for this media frenzy over the damn thing. Instead of getting in a panic' date=' I'd prefer the media to be educating the public on precautions, and advising them that they can still eat chickens, etc.

.[/quote']

I've not really heard or read anything overly dramatised about it. Even the P&J was pretty informative this morning.

Its pretty strange that this early twentieth century outbreak hasn't really entered most peoples' radar prior to this, as it seems like a fairly significant moment!

Guest Bob Double Jack
At the moment it can only be transmitted in extreme cases when someone has prolonged exposure to infected birds.

i am willing to bet that many blokes on these boards have been with infected birds, and have probably caught worse than bird flu.