aberdeen-music

ISP's

Guest MDP

who should i get my broadband from? my AOHELL thingee runs out in a month... and i want fast, reliable, no bullshit, automatically always on the net, not extortionate internet.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Guest onlynik

Try here

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/

You can check out what people are saying about every ISP there is in the land. However, most people complain that their service is shite, doesn't matter which one oyu look at.

I'm on freedom2surf, and in the past I have used BT, Plusnet (twice) Zen (Twice)

BT - Shite expensive and not very helpful

Pkusnet - Bunch of fucking liars about their uncapped service (its not capped its a threshold) cheap and limited amount of downloads - Usenet traffic is hit hard

Zen - really good, however expensive, they have just brough in 50 gig caps on the 8Meg service

F2S - Good so far, will be getting 8 megs on Monday with them for £24.99 a month uncapped (apparently there is traffic shapping on p2p, but I don't use that so it doesn't worry me.)

I got AOL platinum 2meg no limits.

Ive had no problems with it at all, only thing i dislike is it downloads spyware shit i really dont need. But after getting norton on the case Aol just sits there working fine.

The articles on it are pretty good to.

i have had aol for roughly 5 years' date=' im pretty sure that its not that i dont know how to use it. wanker.[/quote']

i forgot to add... thank you to everyone else who replied sensibly. :up:

Plusnet - Bunch of fucking liars about their uncapped service (its not capped its a threshold) cheap and limited amount of downloads - Usenet traffic is hit hard

I'm on plusnet now, and I find them good and cheap. 14.99 pcm and I'll be 8meg very soon. I don't download much though. The only complaints they get seem to be from people who took advantage of them being cheap, then took the piss with stupid amounts of downloading so they had to do something about it. If you're a heavy user then go somewhere else, but otherwise they're a good deal. Customer service is good.

I'm on plusnet now' date=' and I find them good and cheap. 14.99 pcm and I'll be 8meg very soon. I don't download much though. The only complaints they get seem to be from people who took advantage of them being cheap, then took the piss with stupid amounts of downloading so they had to do something about it. If you're a heavy user then go somewhere else, but otherwise they're a good deal. Customer service is good.[/quote']

I too am on the lookout for a new ISP. I'm with Supanet, and no offence, I ain't racist, but the staff can hardly talk English, let alone understand what the hell I'm saying in my teuchter accent.

Are plusnet really that good? I'm by no means a heavy user. I take the odd heavy spell though. I'm looking for something less than 20 for 2mb

I'm on Pipex, 2mb connection, limited to 30gb, but only really heavy downloaders need more than 30gb. It does the job fine for gaming, a bit of downloading, and just general internet stuff. All for £17.99 a month.

I recently upgraded from their unlimited 1mb because the 2mb 30gb cap was cheaper. Good service though.

I got AOL platinum 2meg no limits.

Ive had no problems with it at all' date=' only thing i dislike is it downloads spyware shit i really dont need. But after getting norton on the case Aol just sits there working fine.

The articles on it are pretty good to.[/quote']

So you need to install two shit programs before you can even surf the web?

Guest onlynik
I'm on plusnet now' date=' and I find them good and cheap. 14.99 pcm and I'll be 8meg very soon. I don't download much though. The only complaints they get seem to be from people who took advantage of them being cheap, then took the piss with stupid amounts of downloading so they had to do something about it. If you're a heavy user then go somewhere else, but otherwise they're a good deal. Customer service is good.[/quote']

I was on their uncapped service, but then found once I'd downloaded 15 gig of from one particular website that my downloads went from 250 kps to 30 kps, I asked them about why this happened and was told that it was a threshold on their uncapped service. Then ensued a long battle about why this wasn't mentioned on thier website, or in any of their FAQs and i was told:

"If we told people that we had thresholds on our service, it might scare off new customers"

Which is exactly why I left, they lie. I understand the reason for caps and why ISPs have them, but not to tell people is a bit dodgy.

There is more about plusnets traffic shaping here http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=2229466&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Plusnet's "traffic shaping" and their ridiculous capping methods have been beyond a joke - admittedly, they're a great ISP if your usage is light, but otherwise they're totally ridiculous. I can see where they're going with it all, but they simply don't offer enough on their premier account to make it worthwhile - traffic shaping kicking in at 10GB transferred on a "premier" account is nothing short of ridiculous. If it was a hard 30GB cap across all protocols, I'd be happy - but they lump in FTP with P2P for a start.

The good thing about PlusNet is their unlimited off peak downloads - but even that's capped at roughly 100GB. Off peak is between midnight and 4pm though, so it's not all bad.

For anyone considering PlusNet - be wary, they lock you into a huge contract if you defer the activation fee.

Guest Hon Jonda

pipex or e7broadband

been with pipex for 4 years but now e7broadband for 8 months which is 10 per month for uncapped 2mb

neither have had problems

Guest onlynik
Plusnet's "traffic shaping" and their ridiculous capping methods have been beyond a joke - admittedly' date=' they're a great ISP if your usage is light, but otherwise they're totally ridiculous. I can see where they're going with it all, but they simply don't offer enough on their premier account to make it worthwhile - traffic shaping kicking in at 10GB transferred on a "premier" account is nothing short of ridiculous. If it was a hard 30GB cap across all protocols, I'd be happy - but they lump in FTP with P2P for a start.

The good thing about PlusNet is their unlimited off peak downloads - but even that's capped at roughly 100GB. Off peak is between midnight and 4pm though, so it's not all bad.

For anyone considering PlusNet - be wary, they lock you into a huge contract if you defer the activation fee.[/quote']

They do however have a customer satisfaction guarantee you can see it here:

http://www.plus.net/guarantee/

That how I managed to escape.

Oh and a way round their traffic shapping it to use proxy servers, its a bit of a scutter but it works, for usenet anyway.

aol is shit, for starters you HAVE to use the aol browser, or if you use firefox or ie you have to keep the aol browse r open. and because aol works through ie you get all the flaws of it too. the only thing i like about it is the quickness of checking emails.