aberdeen-music

30 years of punk rock music in Aberdeen

Biz

Think more local! I couldn't believe the first time I was upstairs at the Palace and seen the place packed full of people who would have probably enjoyed the gig we were just at with about 4 folk in attendance. When I saw the downstairs I realised no one gives a fuck about new live bands they've never heard of....

Live band over manual jukebox for me anyday...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no wonder Im pissed off

the last time I saw you you were about as negative about being involved in and doing music that I have seen.....

Several people are of the opinion that I should jump at the chance to gig for little or no payment,punk rock was never about losing money - that's just dumb, and I can not see a problem in making a fair wage for the hours of travelling to studios and rehearsing every week,and I am getting pretty fed up of constantly looking for and promoting gigs.

Anybody looking for a job as a manager of a punk rock tribute band please get in touch.

Any serious offers of paid work drumming - virtually anything except Jazz considered.

I've had so much knock backs and insulting offers I feel like jacking it all in - BUT, thanks to Drummonds, Tunnels, The Moorings, Fudge, and The Lemon Tree I'll keep on plodding away because they make it worthwhile by being such nice people to work with.

On a more positive note - being a DJ is great fun and more lucrative,Norman Cook and Paul Oakenfold are well worth going to see,especially Oakenfold he is a genius and more entertaining live than a hell of a lot of succesful bands.

the last time I saw you you were about as negative about being involved in and doing music that I have seen.....

Several people are of the opinion that I should jump at the chance to gig for little or no payment' date='punk rock was never about losing money - that's just dumb, and I can not see a problem in making a fair wage for the hours of travelling to studios and rehearsing every week,and I am getting pretty fed up of constantly looking for and promoting gigs.

Anybody looking for a job as a manager of a punk rock tribute band please get in touch.

Any serious offers of paid work drumming - virtually anything except Jazz considered.

I've had so much knock backs and insulting offers I feel like jacking it all in - BUT, thanks to Drummonds, Tunnels, The Moorings, Fudge, and The Lemon Tree I'll keep on plodding away because they make it worthwhile by being such nice people to work with.

On a more positive note - being a DJ is great fun and more lucrative,Norman Cook and Paul Oakenfold are well worth going to see,especially Oakenfold he is a genius and more entertaining live than a hell of a lot of succesful bands.[/quote']

"Answering the following questions can help you clarify what you do:**

* What sort of work do I make?

* Who do I make it for?

* Where do I show it?

* How do I pay for it?"

What is the demand for the work?

Is there a demand/audience?

Is the work strong enough to sustain itself?

Market research!

It's just peoples personal preferances and opinions...

Of course' date=' there is nothing wrong in trying to make a living![/quote']

Aspolutely! Nowt wrong at all and a wage is a wage and there are worse ways of earning. I'm not a fan of tribute acts but would never discourage. Wearing my work hat I would advise as best as possible (last post, mostly from my works web site). But I would also advise against false expectations. If there is little to no demand for what you do how will you expect to sustain an income. Merely to suggest or think there 'should' be a demand for your act is folly and some redress will be required. Just by being doesn't mean entitlement. Being very very good at what you do coupled with some reasonable business planning and insight, if you don't have this find a friend that does or learn, gets you on a ladder at least, remaining there is where the hard work lies...

(Work hat off and on with the beer hat)

:up:

I used to be a one man band,but I split up.

thepopgunassasins.JPG

you tell me,would you pay to see the pop gun assasins?

The show involves weird noises on electric drums,crap magic, crap comedy, with an aim for audience participation in the form of heckling - 10 minutes of entertainment in all - guaranteed to be thought provoking and better than watching an empty stage - but designed to be 50% crap to keep the miserablists happy in their unhappy way.

It's like punk rock without the decent songs and lyrics in a neu modern millenial malevolent malestrom of malodorous melodies and is sure to be a hit with The Critics in Viz.

work hat on -I'm off to play drums and then stuff 5 grands worth of DW drums into boxes and onto a lorry for a crust.

thepopgunassasins.JPG

you tell me' date='would you pay to see the pop gun assasins?

The show involves weird noises on electric drums,crap magic, crap comedy, with an aim for audience participation in the form of heckling - 10 minutes of entertainment in all - guaranteed to be thought provoking and better than watching an empty stage - but designed to be 50% crap to keep the miserablists happy in their unhappy way.

It's like punk rock without the decent songs and lyrics in a neu modern millenial malevolent malestrom of malodorous melodies and is sure to be a hit with The Critics in Viz.[/quote']

Is that not what you did every time at Drakes etc?

:p;)

new spangly punktastic retro mayhem

tribute bands are not punk

and neither is carrying on for years and years with a revolving door policy

So how would you market The Clashed The Sex Pistols Experience and 16again? what do we call what we do on advertising posters?.

It's only a laugh, everyone needs a break from gigging and I am happy to get work filling in for bands if it keeps them making a crust whilst their drummer has a well earned break- punk rock especially is very physically demanding and rehearsing /gigging weekly 12 months in a row is not really much fun- unless you are me.

You still looking for a drummer Maxi?

So how would you market The Clashed The Sex Pistols Experience and 16again? what do we call what we do on advertising posters?.

It's only a laugh' date=' everyone needs a break from gigging and I am happy to get work filling in for bands if it keeps them making a crust whilst their drummer has a well earned break- punk rock especially is very physically demanding and rehearsing /gigging weekly 12 months in a row is not really much fun- unless you are me.

You still looking for a drummer Maxi?[/quote']

Looking for bizness Mr? 10 for a parradiddle or 20 if I go all the way around the toms

:up:

some are freebies

and Maxi comes across as a real argumentative shite stirring protragonist on here - so I would gladly be in a band with him for no fee - he has the balls to be honest and that's good enough for me,plus ,arguing is a great pastime as no doubt the hundreds of bloodthirsty viewers of this post will testify,so the thought of being trapped with him in a van on tour having a heated discussion of which band is the worst in Aberdeen really appeals to my sense of humour.Hope he likes Jazz, then I can genuinely hate him and draw on his face when he falls asleep.

Anyone interested in an all day celebration of pUnk RocK,Ska and Reggae?

It is happening on Sunday the 6th August in Drummonds 3pm - 2 am with bands and DJs.

Any bands/DJs looking for a slot?

WHICH LOCAL ACTS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE ON THE BILL?