aberdeen-music

30 years of punk rock music in Aberdeen

Biz

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Please stop telling us 'it was all so much better back then'. You sound like my late Grandparents!

Biz seems like the kind of guy you see on those "Greetings From London" postcards, you know the ones? Receding mohawk, no teeth, and slurring "punk's not dead". A big hit with the tourists, and it's some easy beer money.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes to both

I'll say yes to that' date=' on their behalf. Will you take the country songs, and the namby pamby acoustic guitar ones as well?

Did you see them with their band?[/quote']

Yes you bought me a pint at the hatch just before they went on.

One for the Japanese tourists

Biz seems like the kind of guy you see on those "Greetings From London" postcards' date=' you know the ones? Receding mohawk, no teeth, and slurring "punk's not dead". A big hit with the tourists, and it's some easy beer money.[/quote']

MyPictures0001.jpg

that'll be 25 quid guv,can you spare an extra tenner for a cup of coffee?...

punk rock was and still is great fun,the very mention of it fairly seems to get folk frothing at the mouth one way or another,stop being so miserable and go doon the front for a pogo it's just a laugh.

not strictly true...

I'll jump in with my hungover tuppence worth

Tribute acts are not: creative in any shape or form

Getting paid shitloads to play other peoples music

not appealing to the kids just their Parents/Grandparents.

Just my thoughts on it and they mean jack shit :)

Tribute acts are often creative in that they often rearrange the music,for instance aka SKA need a hammond player,but lacking one means the band re write the hammond pieces for guitars and brass. Those web sites and posters ,flyers,etc don't design themselves.

I can assure you that tribute bands do not make any more than good bands playing original material, but we do rather well as attendances are usually high - more bums on seats = more money.Rehearsals usually cost cost 100 a month, add on equipment, van hire, fuel, PA hire etc and the original material band stands to make more if they sell merch - we do not intend to sell recordings of other peoples songs, but add handy links to the original artists on our web sites - OH there's another 50 oh and business cards ...another 50.

Every time 16again have played The Lemon Tree/Tunnels/Drummonds/Kef etc there has been a sea of faces of all ages front of stage.

You grumpy drawers auld git.

spoken like a true artist...but I won't say which kind...

I was there first time round and not awfy interested in revisiting. I like trawling through my old punk records and getting all nostalgic .

I like your promoter style Biz. Book a date then stick up a post asking if anyone would be interested in playing a 'pysuedo-neo-post-modern-deconstructionist rivival day'?

o_O

Please stop telling us 'it was all so much better back then'. You sound like my late Grandparents!

:nono::)

I have never said it was so much better back then.

I always look for new exciting bands,and it's a pity I don't get the chance to play in one...still no takers for a Roland TD6 player?.

aye ye are nae the only ane..

That 'Gabba Gabba Hey Min' sign makes me cringe.

The Ramones singer refused to hold up a similar doric sign in New York as he did not know what it meant and thought it may be extracting the piss he he he

Tribute acts are often creative in that they often rearrange the music' date='for instance aka SKA need a hammond player,but lacking one means the band re write the hammond pieces for guitars and brass. Those web sites and posters ,flyers,etc don't design themselves.

I can assure you that tribute bands do not make any more than good bands playing original material, but we do rather well as attendances are usually high - more bums on seats = more money.Rehearsals usually cost cost 100 a month, add on equipment, van hire, fuel, PA hire etc and the original material band stands to make more if they sell merch - we do not intend to sell recordings of other peoples songs, but add handy links to the original artists on our web sites - OH there's another 50 oh and business cards ...another 50.

Every time 16again have played The Lemon Tree/Tunnels/Drummonds/Kef etc there has been a sea of faces of all ages front of stage.

You grumpy drawers auld git.[/quote']

Mentalist!

:)

Do you mean this guy?

http://www.mikeparkmusic.com/

I just watched this guys video - he plays accoustic guitar -and I do not see anything punk rock about it-I would have to file him under namby pamby' date='so I doubt if this will cause any problems with a clash of dates- I intend to have exciting energetic humorous acts -accoustic guitars and soft music will NOT be allowed..[/quote']

Are you fucking kidding me?

Mike Park is and always will be more punk than you can ever be.

Instead of using other bands songs to get credibility he writes his own songs. Very politically influenced songs in fact and when I seen him live in Glasgow, he was very willing to speak his mind regardless of what the audience thought.

Now if that isn't punk rock then what the hell is?

I am sure the Clash have done some soft numbers. They can't be punk either then eh?

the problem on here is...

there are lots of people who whinge and comment about stuff they know very little or nothing about, and make arsehole comments like - Mike Park is and always will be more punk than you can ever be.

For the last time - save your negativity and whinging for another thread - I am looking for exciting bands and DJs to have a great laugh without having to listen to namby pamby miserablists moan for the sake of moaning .

REVOLT NOW go and have fun for a change .

nae bad

A bit like Joe and The Mescaleros, and strangely like Shambles fae The Lorelie tae ,but I just can't get away from the fact that I can't stand the sound of accoustic guitars - unless Le Reno Amps or Dave Dixon have set the controls to boil wash and added the odd snare drum hit for a nice ending.

Namby pamby music does not have to be shite - it's just a pity it so often is.

Nice bit o Gen X and Penetration earlier,nae keen on Crisis - nae namby pamby, but nae my cup o tea.

A bit like Joe and The Mescaleros' date=' and strangely like Shambles fae The Lorelie tae ,but I just can't get away from the fact that I can't stand the sound of accoustic guitars - unless Le Reno Amps or Dave Dixon have set the controls to boil wash and added the odd snare drum hit for a nice ending.

Namby pamby music does not have to be shite - it's just a pity it so often is.

Nice bit o Gen X and Penetration earlier,nae keen on Crisis - nae namby pamby, but nae my cup o tea.[/quote']

Heh funnily enough I thought the guy sounds very much like Shambles aswell!!! I've told him this, hopefully he takes it as a compliment. Check this track, picture Shambles singing it http://www.gregmacpherson.com/mp3/slow_stroke.mp3

Nae keen on Crisis?!? :D Thought you liked your punk rock! :D They weren't everyones cup of tea right enough....I love Crass aswell though, and if you can't stomach Crisis you must hate Crass :D

Me and the boys can do any punk song from 1976 to 2006 so consider it!!

Aye

I am very fussy and to be honest can't stand the majority of stuff labelled punk.

I have very eclectic tastes and it shows in the amount of bands I have played with and seen.

highlights have included

Toxic Ephex,XS RELOCAT,the mighty HUMAN Generator,The Visitors,The Staccato Set,Thee Excerpts,The X Certs,Karloff,The Needles,Maple,Atom Flask,Katherine Sawers,Thomas Truax,The Damned,The Rezillos,The Pixies,Gil Scott Heron,Josephine,Spaceboy,The Tiger Lillies,The Pogues,Rage Against the machine,Ozric Tentacles,Rolf Harris,and many more ... but punk rock is by far the most fun to play...and to me that is what it is all about,getting off your arse and actually making things happen with your friends for your friends.

hippies

Crass were a bunch of miserable scare mongering greetin faced hippies,quality like The Damned is where it's all at,they know how to have a good time and make audiences laugh,which is sadly missing in so many gigs in Aberdeen...maybe it's the weather or the fact there are so many greetin faced folk that widna ken a good song if it bit their erse.

Dont believe everything you read,

the time is ACTUALLY 230am

Crisis changed the way I listened to Music!

My mate nicked the front man from Crass' leather jacket when the they played at the 62 club, very punk!

Biz, you mention two of my bands in your list, I LOVE YOU :love: :love: :love:

Your use of the word miserable is a smidging over done considedring the last time I saw you you were about as negative about being involved in and doing music that I have seen. Kick yersel up the arse or something? Hope so...:up:

Oh and by the way, I'm not being negative about what your doing, I just get puzzled sometimes when these kind of things take place and are talked about. It stirs something in me that makes me a little angsty.

I will also mention, for the sake of it, I was in the Rocketeers, a rock n roll covers band for a while with Dave Dixon, and had a blast. Thats said I didn't get and never have gotten nearly as much out of playing other peoples music. I could be cutting off my nose to spite my face as the money 'good' covers bands make is pretty damned fine.

I almost cringe when I see covers bands setting up and playing with utter conviction. Its entertaining though for lots of reasons and, for me, none of them the music!

I was in the Rocketeers!

On reading this back to myself I have realised, in an almost epiphanous moment, that my attitude is, in part, due to deep, but minor, psychological scarring from my childhood!

Off to find my therapists number!

Watch this space for Aberdeens latest tribute act (bandwagon still to be decided upon) :up::love:

I played sax and flute for a few gigs with a Santana tribute band, earned a good bit from just 3 gigs or so... ridiculous!

I think this was while I was a member of Aberdeen's finest Tom Waits and Stevie Wonder tribute bands. :D

I then developed what I call 'The Peter Green Syndrome', that is, I felt guilty for getting paid so much for not really doing anything to earn it and gave the santana money to charity.

The thing with punk cover bands, the first wave of punk did die out in about 18 months so unless you were around at that time, you will never get the chance to see those bands live, which is a pity because most these songs sound best live....so if anyone wants to give the songs a bash live so folk can hear them, all power to them. Of course, there'd be no point dressing up like Johnny or Sid or Strummer or Idol or whoever live, that would make it somewhat cabaret.

I've never got peoples gripes with cover bands (tribute bands are another matter....) it wasn't long ago (in the grand scheme of things) that a cover was essential if you wanted someone to remember you live!! Personally, I cringe more at a fucking DJ who thinks he has the crowd in the palm of his hands much in the way a live band on fire would, by simply cross fading into a track. But everyone continues to pay DJ's more than live bands and flocks along to dance along to a stupid DJ boosting his ego as the saviour of live music....you can listen to the originals at fucking home, a good cover band should be able to give that tune a little something more in hearing it live.

Of course I agree with Philip that some of the money involved with cover bands is ridiculous, it should be for the crack of it all, not for money or to pretend to be dead/living rockstars....DJ's should have to pay for the privilege of torturing people with their CD collection....

The thing with punk cover bands' date=' the first wave of punk did die out in about 18 months so unless you were around at that time, you will never get the chance to see those bands live, which is a pity because most these songs sound best live....so if anyone wants to give the songs a bash live so folk can hear them, all power to them. Of course, there'd be no point dressing up like Johnny or Sid or Strummer or Idol or whoever live, that would make it somewhat cabaret.

I've never got peoples gripes with cover bands (tribute bands are another matter....) it wasn't long ago (in the grand scheme of things) that a cover was essential if you wanted someone to remember you live!! Personally, I cringe more at a fucking DJ who thinks he has the crowd in the palm of his hands much in the way a live band on fire would, by simply cross fading into a track. But everyone continues to pay DJ's more than live bands and flocks along to dance along to a stupid DJ boosting his ego as the saviour of live music....you can listen to the originals at fucking home, a good cover band should be able to give that tune a little something more in hearing it live.

Of course I agree with Philip that some of the money involved with cover bands is ridiculous, it should be for the crack of it all, not for money or to pretend to be dead/living rockstars....DJ's should have to pay for the privilege of torturing people with their CD collection....[/quote']

Three words and a question mark.

Fat boy Slim?