aberdeen-music

Applying for an overdraft...

Smooth_groover

I wish you better luck than I've ever had with the banks....the bastards wouldn't even give me my own money the other day' date=' let alone a little sub....yet its fine for them to continually rip me off of about 100 in charges nearly every month[/quote']

Go here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632

I'm trying this to get charges back. I've been continually ripped off by RBS like you. The last few months have been really bad. I was off for a week ill and being a contractor didn't get paid. So phoned up the bank to extend my overdraft temporarily but they said they couldn't extend it at all. So my accounts went over the limit, got charged about 100 quid. The charges mean that its very hard to get back to within my limit cos as soon as I go over by a few quid for a couple of hours its another 40 quid charge. Hopefully the method in the link above will work though. Last week I got charged 35 quid twice for supposedly trying to use my maestro when I had no funds - complete crap. Bunch of ripoff merchants, no wonder they had an 11bn profit this year.

wht do you get charged that amount of money each month for? have you ever appealed these charges?

Because I have no overdraft or plasticash...and I don't know anyone in my position, bar the extremely wealthy, who survives without this.

I also must subconciously speak chinese when I talk to banks as no one seems to understand a word I say.

you should take along as much as you can really, any form of ID such as a passport, a driving license and so on. but since you already have an account, you won't need ID, but you might ge?t asked some security questions along the lines of "what is you address?", "date of birth" or "you direct debit for *so and so* goes out of your account *in this frequency*, how much is it for?".

but what you really will need is your LAST THREE payslips or statements showing a regular pay going into your account. and if you have just opened up an account, you'll have to wait until 3 payments have been made into your account. this has to be on a monthly basis. i'm not sure about other banks, but the RBS does not accept weekly payslips ie. three weeks is not enough. i know, i work for them :)

go on son, get an overdraft!

I'm really surprised to hear that so many people have had problems with RBS. I've banked there my whole life and have never had any problems at all.

me too dude

and hog' date=' as for bank charges, we ran a campaign here at the glasgow university SRC and found that students here are paying about 1.2 million in charges, so there's a form letter available from our website here which can be used to challenge banks when you feel you've been charged too severely.

and before it starts up, let's not have a massive slagging match about how students get it easy and how if you get charged it's your own fault, cos that's not what this thread needs.

/x