aberdeen-music

is this a firewire port?

Hog

Guest five years

don't think so. a firewire port looks like a usb port, just slightly narrower...and it generally only on a mac..

i would however, love to know what that is. i've got one on my laptop, similar to a regular phone modem cable, but isnt..

Guest five years
It's an Ethernet port' date=' no?[/quote']

as in for networking computers together? it's too small for that...ethernet ones look similar but are bigger..

Hehe.....will just mean you'll need to power the device extrenally, the manual says it will work fine with a 4pin connector, but you will need to purchase your own cable (much like the one above)

Word of warning from their website

"Laptops with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 IGP chipset have shown consistent problems with pops/clicks on playback. You can check for this chipset in the Device Manager/Display Adapters. We strongly recommend that you do not get a system with this chipset, as there is not currently a workaround for this incompatibility."

I can confirm this is a problem with my own stuff :swearing:

On the plus, it comes with a free copy of Cubase LE!

if it says ieee xxxx (x bein the number i cant remember) then it is indeedy a firewire.

also it does look like a usb but with a bit like ===> on the end (sorry for the pants description)

so that keilan was perfect with his answer :)

Think not, IEEE xxxx just means it conforms to the standards laid down by the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers).

Think not' date=' IEEE xxxx just means it conforms to the standards laid down by the IEEE (Institute of Electrical Engineers).[/quote']

well apparntly college teaches the wrong things . . .

odds are you should only find that next to a firewire port. Not a port for say a usb.

but meh im tired

The reason it looks different is because it's Sony's patented implementation of firewire named iLink as found on all their Vaio machines (even the little tiny ones that can't play solitaire, let alone support a DV camera) It uses the same IEEE1394 protocol, but I suspect they dropped the other pins and changed the shape to get around the license fee they would need to pay Apple. As five years pointed out, its's mostly Mac's you assosciate firewire with, as most motherboard vendors don't bother paying for the firewire license in order to reduce costs, although firewire is waaaay more stable than USB, if you don't have firewire, buy a PCI firewire card now!

I'm surprised no one recognises the port considering its the standard port used on DV cameras, which are all firewire!

The reason it looks different is because it's Sony's patented implementation of firewire named iLink as found on all their Vaio machines (even the little tiny ones that can't play solitaire' date=' let alone support a DV camera) It uses the same IEEE1394 protocol, but I suspect they dropped the other pins and changed the shape to get around the license fee they would need to pay Apple. As five years pointed out, its's mostly Mac's you assosciate firewire with, as most motherboard vendors don't bother paying for the firewire license in order to reduce costs, although firewire is waaaay more stable than USB, if you don't have firewire, buy a PCI firewire card now!

I'm surprised no one recognises the port considering its the standard port used on DV cameras, which are all firewire![/quote']

So basically its a shit Firewire port? Mmm, ok. Looks like I will have transport my main computer from my folks house to mine. Im sure it has a better firewire port than that, if it doesnt I will have to get a firewire card thingy, just so I can do this recording malarkey properly. Tried recording today on the laptop, wasnt a good start, blew up my amp and it smells of smoke. Think its because I used a kettle plug from my camera studio lights lol, Im such a fanny.:laughing:

Guest lime ruined my life
:up:firewire.JPG

Just wondering.

Thats a small firewire socket.

firewire and usb both come in "small" and "big" sockets. Big sockets "generally" have 2 extra power lines that arn't present or needed in some devices, so there exsists a smaller socket without the power lines.

The only difference is you can't "charge" or run a device with it that needs it to for power. DV cameras etc tend to have a seperate power supply, which is why they use the cut down version. You wouldnt be able to "charge" your ipod from this type of socket, if you really wanted to do that sort of thing.

Some devices may have the options to plug into the wall if you choose to use the small style socket.

So now its not a firewire port! lol' date=' this is interesting.:up:[/quote']

i wrote usb first, but meant firewire, but i was thinking "usb" and wrote that down instead. i edited it.

i wrote usb first' date=' but meant firewire, but i was thinking "usb" and wrote that down instead. i edited it.[/quote']

So if you think about giving me money even if you mean that you dont want to then you will give me 100000?:laughing:

Lime didnt ruin your life, not knowing the difference between Firewire and Usb did.:up:

So if you think about giving me money even if you mean that you dont want to then you will give me 100000?:laughing:

Lime didnt ruin your life' date=' not knowing the difference between Firewire and Usb did.:up:[/quote']

i ruined my own life, i'm sorry.

ignore that bit. firewire ports are appearing as standard on more and more PCs these days.

No there not. USB2 is becoming the new standard with even Apple now slowly dropping Firewire support from their hardware. Despite the fact' date=' as others have already pointed out, that Firewire still has advantages even over USB2.

What Hog took a photo of is an IEEE 1394 port. This is the [b']same thing as Firewire. Why the different name? Because the name Firewire is trademarked by Apple. To confuse matters even further other manufactures use other names for IEEE 1394 such as i.link and Lynx. All you need to know is that they are all IEEE 1394 and not USB (1 or 2) and certainly not an Ethernet port.