aberdeen-music

cubase

Hog

Guest scott cs.

Cubase is great and allows you to be very creative. maybe look into getting Abelton aswell.

a dongle is a piece of hardware that looks like a flash drive that you need to run a piece of software, therefore making the software harder to crack. i don't have a dongle for my version of Cubase, but i'm not sure about newer versions.

Continuing with my current home recording obsession' date=' what do you think of Cubase. I have pretty much sussed Audition but the VST's I have say that they are for Cubase. Thoughts?:up:

P.S. What is a dongle? Do I need one for Cubase?[/quote']

I found it quite the motivation-killer. Get Ableton!

Hey Hog..

That CD should be on its way to you...

Depends did you mean Cubase or Cubase SX ?

Most common versions available are:

Cubase 5 VST

Cubase SX1

Cubase SX2

Cubase SX3

The SX version is the completly revised rewritten version that appeared about 3 years ago.

Its one of the 'big 3' DAW packages along with Logic and Protools.

Probably more complex than you need.. although you might want to have a look at Cubasis which is a cut down version for about 80 but will still have the features you need.

I wouldn't recommend Ableton for the sort of stuff I think you want to do.

The dongle is the copy protection key - on older versions of Cubase it goes in the parallel port, more recent versions are USB

There are plenty of books and DVDs available for Cubase very cheaply on eBay - just make sure you get ones that match the correct version you are running

What about Sonar? you could always use that i ran cubase 5.1 for a while it was decent enough!

Best advice is to get a decent pre-amp some basic mics and ur sorted. You can always find someone with the software ur looking for.

Im quite keen on pro tools so the Mbox II is tempting me but im jus doing acoustic based stuff right now. Theres so much out there man just have a good look about and see what takes ur fancy.

Danny.

Here are the free options!

Kristal - poor mans Cubase, VST support, no MIDI.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

Reaper - poor mans Sony Vegas, vst support I think, VSTi support aswell I think, made by the guy who made Winamp

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/index.php

Energy XT

MIDI sequencing and digital audio...supports VST/i etc...haven't had much of a go of this yet as it has its own sort of interface...looks ok though!

http://www.xt-hq.com/

What about Sonar? you could always use that i ran cubase 5.1 for a while it was decent enough!

Best advice is to get a decent pre-amp some basic mics and ur sorted. You can always find someone with the software ur looking for.

Im quite keen on pro tools so the Mbox II is tempting me but im jus doing acoustic based stuff right now. Theres so much out there man just have a good look about and see what takes ur fancy.

Danny.

Yeah, a decent preamp is next on the list. Im going to try out the SM57 on vocals and guitar, got it for £40 on Ebay which I think is a pretty good deal. I can see this home recording stuff taking over my life hehe.

Thanks for the info Y'all

Yeah' date=' a decent preamp is next on the list. Im going to try out the SM57 on vocals and guitar, got it for 40 on Ebay which I think is a pretty good deal. I can see this home recording stuff taking over my life hehe.

Thanks for the info Y'all[/quote']

just make sure its not one of those cheap japenese copies some things looks better than they are on Ebay!!

Theres alot of these decent USB soundcard/preamps out there like the Edirol one i mentioned earlier and their not that pricey either it jus depends on what your wanting to do?

Danny.