aberdeen-music

Opium

hamsterpants

Here's a list of all the historic alternative clubs / club nights that I can recall. Perhaps someone can help add to this' date=' or fill in more detail. Jimsin - you probably remember a few of these:

Ritzy's / Bonkers / The Palace .............

[/quote']

That's a pretty conclusive list Flash.

I guess you could add the whole St Katherine's club / Summer Street Community Centre type scene in the early eighties - Valhallas before The Venue, Drakes wasn't exactly a club - but should get a mention anyway for outstanding contribution towards Aberdeen's music scene- then there's the likes of Elizium and Lashed which have moved around from venue to venue and still maintain a devoted following.

Forme, nothing will ever compare to The Venue - but it's funny because when The Venue closed everybody went on about how great it was and how terrible The Palace was. When The Palace closed everybody moaned about how great is was and how terrible Moshulu is. When Moshulu closes (everything closes in the end) everybody will go on about how great it was and moan about whatever replaces it. Everything gets boring if you do it week in week out, and I'm sure everybody can envisage some sort of dream club full of amazing people where the music is exactly to their taste - but right now as far as clubs are concerned I think that Moshulu are doing by far the best job.

Great list

If my ravaged memory serves' date=' there was the Bang Club downstairs in the Metro. Then someone left there (Probably Paz I think) and started an offshoot type club called the Pelican up in Dee Street area somewhere. Then the Bang Club closed and The Pelican moved in.

* as always there's a fair chance I'm talking bollocks...

That's a pretty conclusive list Flash.

I guess you could add the whole St Katherine's club / Summer Street Community Centre type scene in the early eighties - Valhallas before The Venue' date=' Drakes wasn't exactly a club - but should get a mention anyway for outstanding contribution towards Aberdeen's music scene- then there's the likes of Elizium and Lashed which have moved around from venue to venue and still maintain a devoted following.

Forme, nothing will ever compare to The Venue - but it's funny because when The Venue closed everybody went on about how great it was and how terrible The Palace was. When The Palace closed everybody moaned about how great is was and how terrible Moshulu is. When Moshulu closes (everything closes in the end) everybody will go on about how great it was and moan about whatever replaces it. Everything gets boring if you do it week in week out, and I'm sure everybody can envisage some sort of dream club full of amazing people where the music is exactly to their taste - but right now as far as clubs are concerned I think that Moshulu are doing by far the best job.[/quote']

Of course Saint Kays - can't believe I forgot that! Just a little before my time.

Sorry I still think of Drakes as current, but already there will be people coming to this site for whom it is historic.

Agree 100% with your other point. Although I have fond memories of The Venue, they are as seen through rose tinted beer goggles. For instance I couldn't tell you if the beer was pish, or the sound substandard because I honestly can't remember. In fact all that remains is a vague recollection of it being very dark and filled with cool people.

It's funny about how people complain about places when they are open, always wishing for something better, then perceiving whatever comes along to be worse LMAO. Then looking back and remembering only the good points about the original haunt! The problem we have in Aberdeen is that few of the clubs, especially alternative clubs, bring in enough money to fund progress. Over in Glasgow The Cat House just got a rather stonking refit. Never the less many people will bemoan such a refit, but in reality it usually keeps the place ticking over for another 10 years. The only exception to this is when there is not enough money to fund a decent refit, and you end up with a half assed job that completely ruins it.

Laura would like me to add that The New Venue was also called Pegasus, which I believe may be a mythical horse related to Neptune. Someone will be along to check this on Google shortly...

If you want to go really far back, then there was the 62 club (2 incarnations of it), the second of which I think was located in the Summer Street Community Centre that you mentioned. The original dated back to 1962, so way way before my time.

A famous missing rocky type pub would be The Bowl, which I belive was located where the 10 pin bowling is now.

Laura would like me to add that The New Venue was also called Pegasus' date=' which I believe may be a mythical horse related to Neptune. Someone will be along to check this on Google shortly...

[/quote']

The logo they use (and is still visible) on the Pegasus club / room is exactly the same as the one used by the Paras. (They also had a tendancy to name all their bars 'The Pegasus' also. ) Which made me think this bar had some sort of military connection.

Also, the Cotton Club 2002 alt scene was a Mudd club spin-off. One was called Mud and the other Mudd. Something to do with a DJ taking off with the name.

When I think of Moshulu vs The Palace, I always remember the Palace being a busier place. Maybe it's just me. God I miss those Saturday Rock Nights upstairs. Real Metal all night, and the place full of black leather, long hair and the sweet smell of Patchoulli oil. Heaven.

Over in Glasgow The Cat House just got a rather stonking refit. Never the less many people will bemoan such a refit' date=' but in reality it usually keeps the place ticking over for another 10 years. The only exception to this is when there is not enough money to fund a decent refit, and you end up with a half assed job that completely ruins it.

[/quote']

Indeed we did get a lovely refit. Unfortunatly though, most clubs and venues don't have the backing of Donald McLeods money (The Director of CPL).

Obviously I notice it more in the staff (being one of them and all) than the customers, but the staff complained all day, every day about the state the place was in before the refit, then after a hell of a lot of money was spent on renovating the whole place, all they could do was complain about how "it just isn't the same". Typical.

It is awful shiny now though.

Indeed we did get a lovely refit. Unfortunatly though' date=' most clubs and venues don't have the backing of Donald McLeods money (The Director of CPL).

Obviously I notice it more in the staff (being one of them and all) than the customers, but the staff complained all day, every day about the state the place was in before the refit, then after a hell of a lot of money was spent on renovating the whole place, all they could do was complain about how "it just isn't the same". Typical.

It is awful shiny now though.[/quote']

The shineyness wears off fast. Give it 6 months and it will have that pleasantly tarnished feel once more. The good thing about alt.rock bars and clubs is they can last 10+ years being refits.

The glider was amazing when it was around. It was the only place that we went to over one summer when I had just turned 18. It was almost like a secret club that only a few knew about. Ace.

I remember it being packed when there wasn't anything happening at Lemon Tree ie, Juice or Lifestyle, and a tad empty when there was. It did have the feel of some kind of private club or something, especially on the quiet nights. 8)

Good times!!! :love:

I remember it being packed when there wasn't anything happening at Lemon Tree ie' date=' Juice or Lifestyle, and a tad empty when there was. It did have the feel of some kind of private club or something, especially on the quiet nights. 8)

Good times!!! :love:[/quote']

Juice! I forgot about that too. That was a good night out. Even if the band was shite you could always just go to the bar and wait for the dj to start again.

Thurday - The Rock Night. Think this started about '88 and ran until June '96. I remember Smurf being one of the DJs.

The Rock Night @ The Palace existed in at least some form past June '96. Ross would know much better than I but when I first moved into the city and started going to the Palace I went to the Rock Night that was upstairs there on Saturday nights while "grab-a-granny" night was on downstairs. Jason was the rock DJ back then and that would have been back at some point in 1998.

Rock Night (well, it was more metal night by now as nu-metal was just becoming popular at this stage) continued to get it's slot moved about throughout the next few years before eventually getting axed (no idea when this would have been - 2001?). At one stage on Friday nights when Crunchie (a slightly alternative club night and the pre-cursor to what became Bond@age when Ross took over DJ'ing - 2000/2001?) the Rock Night was also on at the same time upstairs so you could mix between the two. Ah, those were happy, happy days. :)

Ross, sorry if I got any of the dates, places and names mixed up. It was a long time ago.

The Rock Night @ The Palace existed in at least some form past June '96. Ross would know much better than I but when I first moved into the city and started going to the Palace I went to the Rock Night that was upstairs there on Saturday nights while "grab-a-granny" night was on downstairs. Jason was the rock DJ back then and that would have been back at some point in 1998.

Rock Night (well' date=' it was more metal night by now as nu-metal was just becoming popular at this stage) continued to get it's slot moved about throughout the next few years before eventually getting axed (no idea when this would have been - 2001?). At one stage on Friday nights when Crunchie (a slightly alternative club night and the pre-cursor to what became Bond@age when Ross took over DJ'ing - 2000/2001?) the Rock Night was also on at the same time upstairs so you could mix between the two. Ah, those were happy, happy days. :)

Ross, sorry if I got any of the dates, places and names mixed up. It was a long time ago.[/quote']

It was the original Thursday Rock Night downstairs that ended in June 1996. I remember this clearly because it was the same week I split up with my girlfriend of 4 years, and it's ceasation effectively halved my chances of getting a trap. There was word of it moving to The Works (Kef) but that fell through.