aberdeen-music

NEW My Mind's Weapon song!!

Dan G

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have your album which isn't really my cup of tea, but I like this much better.

I can't comment on the soound quality because I'm listening to it on my computer, and obviously it's a streamed MP3... so it's not really possible for me to make out minor details... like the kick drum and bass for instance :) I agree that the snare sounds funny, but again this is more than likely down to my listening circumstances. One question I have is was the guitar recorded through a cabinet mic or DI'd through a pod? It's not a big deal either way I'm just curious.

So onto the work itself... well it's certainly not emo. It's more of a sophisticated type of prog metal. The structure is very complex, with interesting rythmns and changes. It reminds me a little of middle era Genesis, when they'd become slightly more commercial and poppy but before they completely sold out. In fact it's even reminiscent of Pallas. Then there's the chorus which is my favourite part, this is pure pumped up 80 style power rock. I haven't heard anything like that in ages. I can imagine Sonny Crocket driving his Daytona chabriolet through Miami on a warm summers night, with that chorus pumping out the speakers. It's very catchy.

The guitar solo is sublime, it comes in at the right time, and last just the right length IMO.

The only parts I'm not so keen on are the shouting and spoken sections of vocal. Purely because I prefer singing. Although those may grow on me, and if nothing else they make the singing in the chorus worth waiting for.

One question I have is was the guitar recorded through a cabinet mic or DI'd through a pod? It's not a big deal either way I'm just curious.

The main guitars were recorded using my diezel and a marshall cab. The rhythm guitars were then doubled (but mixed at about half the volume) simply using a direct input into my Boss 8-track. Although you can't notice them directly, you would notice it sounded slightly emptier if they weren't there!

Thanks for the kind comments Flash, and I'd agree about the fromage-mongous 80's chorus :D

In fact it's even reminiscent of Pallas.

I must be getting old..... I was just about to reply and question how sober you are and include loads of question marks and probably laugh at you and ...... well you know

I then went a listened to it again and can 100% see where your coming from flash....

The stacatto rythmic sections sometimes on the same note.....pure Pallas...four songs in one....pure Pallas.

I think his point is that having distinct sections within songs can be a beautiful' date=' beautiful thing. Well, I hope it is, since all new Popcorn Fiend songs are turning into six-minute prog-electro-rock epics...[/quote']

I'd be inclined to think that what he meant was.... bitsy songs must be good because queen do it and they are popular.....o_O

I on the other hand believe that sheep are ok for sexual gratification but I dont flock with them....:popcorn:

G...

I on the other hand believe that sheep are ok for sexual gratification

Sheep are far too high maintenance. A skate works just as well, and you don't have to relate to it afterwards. Just nail it to the deck, and have your wicked way with the cocksucker. The only time I'd go with a sheep is if I marooned somewhere.

I'd be inclined to think that what he meant was.... bitsy songs must be good because queen do it and they are popular.....o_O

I on the other hand believe that sheep are ok for sexual gratification but I dont flock with them....:popcorn:

G...

Leaving aside your perversions, I wouldn't call what Queen did 'bitsy' songs, I'd call them sections within a song, much as the MMW song has different sections that form the whole song. I think such structures can often be more interesting than the monotonous pace and dynamics too often found in popular modern guitar bands. Though not always, less we forget some of Meatloaf's (and Jim Steinman's) atrocities.

Leaving aside your perversions' date=' I wouldn't call what Queen did 'bitsy' songs, I'd call them sections within a song, much as the MMW song has different sections that form the whole song. I think such structures can often be more interesting than the monotonous pace and dynamics too often found in popular modern guitar bands. Though not always, less we forget some of Meatloaf's (and Jim Steinman's) atrocities.[/quote']

Thats all well and good but I personally dont like "bitsy" songs, i'm not saying other people shouldnt like them, in fact I couldnt endulge in one of my favorite pastimes (working with Pallas) if people didnt like "bitsy" songs.

In short, me not liking "bitsy" songs doesnt make me a bad person, shagging sheep on the other hand......:down:

I just thought that comparing in a negative sense a song with different sections to one of the most popular and influential bands of all time is a bit of an odd thing to do. I personally would have used the Meatloaf analogy if I was trying to make that point:up:

Its not odd to me because I dont like queen for that very reason, making the point that I dont like a perfectly good band because of the structure of their songs.

Meatloaf on the other hand I hate with every fibre of my being for sooooo many reasons, and using them as an example would imply that at some point in the past I had given their recordings the time of day.......

Are there any popular bands you dont like?

Ive had similar problems in the past by airing my views on Iron Maiden, if I dont like a band I dont like them, why should anyone care?