aberdeen-music

Bus strike

Hog

Mullet (his name is Lindsay) is a nice guy by all accounts whenever I have travelled with him. And I have experienced first hand the appalling service from Dyce to Aberdeen. Thank fucking christ I will never have to rely on this service again in my entire life. Waits of up to 45 minutes for buses that run "every 15 minutes"' date=' coupled with the ridiculous running time meant that It could easily take me 1 and a half to 2 hours to get into town from the point of actually leaving my house. Awful. I have so much contempt for this service.[/quote']

Are you saying this as a good reason the drivers shouldnt get a living wage?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The drivers get a good enough wage for the job they do. in fact I would argue that they get paid more than they deserve.

Why?

Have you ever had poor service from a bus driver? Did he inform you of the correct fare, give you a ticket and get you safely to your destination as timetabled?

They're struggling to attract people to drive buses as it is, I dare say even £25k a year wouldn't be enough to entice enough new recruits.

As for the rude drivers - I agree, but I suppose they can't really force the drivers to be polite at all times seeing as they're so desperate for new drivers. A lot of them have rights going back to the GRT era - so chances are, they're effectively untouchable considering how easily they crippled the town with the strikes.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I regularly get poor service from bus drivers. They are rude and very rarely stick to their timetables.

I reckon driving the 17/18 route regularly would do anyone's head in, though. Some of the cretins and gargoyles you see on that bus........... I'd rather walk up the hill for the 23, no bother on that one.

I reckon driving the 17/18 route regularly would do anyone's head in' date=' though. Some of the cretins and gargoyles you see on that bus........... I'd rather walk up the hill for the 23, no bother on that one.[/quote']

Yup. Mutant central! The 17 is the worse of the two. as well as having the logie ghetto, you also get the 'pleasure' of the 'salt of the earth' bucksburn/bankhead chavs.

Bankhead academy- where trackie b's form the compulsary school uniform, min.

The drivers get a good enough wage for the job they do. in fact I would argue that they get paid more than they deserve.

Yup. Mutant central! The 17 is the worse of the two. as well as having the logie ghetto' date=' you also get the 'pleasure' of the 'salt of the earth' bucksburn/bankhead chavs.

Bankhead academy- where trackie b's form the compulsary school uniform, min.

[/quote']

Can you see a problem with your two posts quoted above?

You say they get paid too much and then point out the conditions they have to work in every day along with having to drive in a town that has the nationwide reputation of having the worst drivers.

These people do a stressful highly responsible job, the little time off they get has to be tightly controled....they cant go out for a few pints if they are on early shift the next day, if they fail the random drink and drug tests they are sacked on the spot. How many people who drive get raging pissed off driving the length of King St at 5.30, how angry do they get when some punto driving asshole cuts them up at the roundabout, well think about having to do that all day every day and be nice to the punters as well..... no fuckin way I could do that job regardless of the money....:down:

Can you see a problem with your two posts quoted above?

You say they get paid too much and then point out the conditions they have to work in every day along with having to drive in a town that has the nationwide reputation of having the worst drivers.

These people do a stressful highly responsible job' date=' the little time off they get has to be tightly controled....they cant go out for a few pints if they are on early shift the next day, if they fail the random drink and drug tests they are sacked on the spot. How many people who drive get raging pissed off driving the length of King St at 5.30, how angry do they get when some punto driving asshole cuts them up at the roundabout, well think about having to do that all day every day and be nice to the punters as well..... no fuckin way I could do that job regardless of the money....:down:[/quote']

There is never an excuse for not getting the basic job done.

The customer is always right' date=' even if they're a whinging, snivelling cretin without the slightest regard or consideration for anyone else on the entire planet but their miserable fucking selves.

That post is for anyone who has ever suffered the misery of retail employment.[/quote']

i have suffered the misery of retail employment and i agree with you but it's still the main principle of customer service-something which 95% of Aberdeen bus drivers know nothing about. in fact 95% of Aberdeen bus drivers are just what you described.

and in response to graeme's statement about how you only report the bad, in the case of bus drivers i completely disagree. on the maybe 3 occasions where i've had a bus driver be pleasant or helpful i've actually told people out of disbelief.

Saying that I've been on a bus that was running late before and had the bus driver stop at the side of the road for apparently no reason for approx 10 minutes... he literally stopped and just started to read a paper.

Fucking annoying if you're heading to work.

yes! we had that yesterday! the bus was half an hour late from tillydrone and the guy still took a ten minute paper break in mannofield. considering this was a sunday when the buses are every half an hour (supposedly) as well. ended up making chris and i 45 minutes late for where we were supposed to be.

yes! we had that yesterday! the bus was half an hour late from tillydrone and the guy still took a ten minute paper break in mannofield. considering this was a sunday when the buses are every half an hour (supposedly) as well. ended up making chris and i 45 minutes late for where we were supposed to be.

number 19 bus drivers are tools. i used to get the 22 and regularly the bus driver stopped on back hilton along from teh bus stop closer to the old folks skyscraper so the oldies had less to walk. nice guy.

but the 19 drivers, i've got nothing good to say about them. this thread proves the point!

no matter how much you get paid - manners cost nothing.

Again not the drivers fault..... there are laws to protect YOU and the drivers, regardless of whether you are running late or not.

The law, a driver can drive 5 1/2 hours - after this, a break of at least 30 minutes must be taken in which the driver is able to obtain rest and refreshment; or within any period of 8 1/2 hours in the working day, total breaks amounting to at least 45 minutes are taken so that the driver does not drive for more than seven and three quarter hours. The driver must in addition have a break of at least 30 minutes to obtain rest or refreshment at the end of this period unless it is the end of the working day.

Again not the drivers fault..... there are laws to protect YOU and the drivers' date=' regardless of whether you are running late or not.

The law, a driver can drive 5 1/2 hours - after this, a break of at least 30 minutes must be taken in which the driver is able to obtain rest and refreshment; or within any period of 8 1/2 hours in the working day, total breaks amounting to at least 45 minutes are taken so that the driver does not drive for more than seven and three quarter hours. The driver must in addition have a break of at least 30 minutes to obtain rest or refreshment at the end of this period unless it is the end of the working day.[/quote']

with your stats you're quoting you're failing to comprehend that nowhere within these laws does it state that breaks should be taken in the middle of a route. there is ample time for these half hour breaks after a route is finished. no route takes longer than 2 1/2 hours, three hours short of the max time allowed. he was bound to have had a break prior to that anyway, given that it was sunday service and he was half an hour late to begin with.

and some sort of provision should be made to cover their breaks...

the things that always get me is when the drivers stop the bus and nip into the shop to buy a newspaper - which they proceed to read whilst sat at traffic lights and when they stop the bus at the bottom of crown street, right next to the roundabout basically stopping all traffic to nip into the secret busman cupboard, which i assume is a toilet.

with your stats you're quoting you're failing to comprehend that nowhere within these laws does it state that breaks should be taken in the middle of a route. there is ample time for these half hour breaks after a route is finished. no route takes longer than 2 1/2 hours' date=' three hours short of the max time allowed. he was bound to have had a break prior to that anyway, given that it was sunday service and he was half an hour late to begin with.[/quote']

Your no doubt right, the driver, and in fact all drivers set out to make everyones life as difficult as possible, they make it their lifes mission to make everyone late at least three times a week and are by their very nature rude and unhelpfull.

They should recieve one handfull of copper coins a week and their children should be sent up chimneys the dirty working class oiks that they are.

Jeez...:rolleyes:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i have suffered the misery of retail employment and i agree with you but it's still the main principle of customer service-something which 95% of Aberdeen bus drivers know nothing about. in fact 95% of Aberdeen bus drivers are just what you described.

This baffles me, I'm on a bus from 2-8 times per day almost every day and they've always been absolutely sound. There's maybe 2 drivers at most, they both look kinda similar and they both look at your bus pass like it's a turd. All I ask of a bus driver is to get me from A to B, I don't care if they smile or not. Basic rule: if you say "Thanks" when you're getting off the bus, and they say "Cheerio" or something, boost.

This baffles me' date=' I'm on a bus from 2-8 times per day almost every day and they've always been absolutely sound. There's maybe 2 drivers at most, they both look kinda similar and they both look at your bus pass like it's a turd. All I ask of a bus driver is to get me from A to B, I don't care if they smile or not. Basic rule: if you say "Thanks" when you're getting off the bus, and they say "Cheerio" or something, boost.[/quote']

Spot on, its a bus for fuck sake not a limo service....:up: