aberdeen-music

Damo Suzuki . Sun 18th Dec Running Order

Hahah :D Sadly it was nothing as exciting as that!! I'm not entirely sure what it was about actually' date=' but I think we were working in an office or something and finished at six.. obviously I was preoccupied with the fact that my alarm would be going off then![/quote']

Well I attended the gig as well and had a weird dream about a bunch of people being admitted to hospital for unwittingly eating human flesh.

I saw the first hour and a bit of Damo's performance...bloody hell is all I can say.

I wasn't expecting what I saw, it was confusing, yet captivating - I really, really admired the whole thing, it's not "my scene" at all, yet I found myself totally awestruck by the proceedings I just want to know how it all worked..

Notable mention goes to Alan Cynic for his Hog-esque moments on the...instrument-that-looks-like-a-guitar-but-isn't :D

Is there ever any sort of performances like this in Aberdeen, where local players just team up to play together for an extended length of time? I'd love to see more like this, it was confusing yet brilliant to me :)

Erk

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Been there done that a few times at Drakes and all I can say is it is sometimes great, once, but more often than not, self indulgent shit!

I'm curious about the whole Damo Suzuki affair though. How does a night work that is about a man that used to be in Can but now rejects anything to do with it, apprently, yet his tours and gigs are filled with Can fans and the music, I assume, is played by those that know the bands work and in some way want to emulate...

I am by no means being negative here by the way, it is by far not my cup of tea, but none the less I am curious...

J

Is there ever any sort of performances like this in Aberdeen' date=' where local players just team up to play together for an extended length of time? I'd love to see more like this, it was confusing yet brilliant to me :)[/quote']

It basically happens any time Mickel Mass play and it was they you were watching prior to Damo getting up on stage.

Twoback Joe is correct about the 'hit or miss' aspect of the live improvising......we didn't have a clue about what we'd play apart from the fact it would start in Am, then gravitiate to G before swinging round to D. BUT it was a whole lot of fun flying by the seat of our pants......luckily it seems some other folks enjoyed it too. Personally I was chuffed at Cloud's reaction on the night. Being compared to Hog was also a high point!

Knowing us, however, it could easily have been a horrible experience ;)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Been there done that a few times at Drakes and all I can say is it is sometimes great' date=' once, but more often than not, [b']self indulgent shit!

Ie: the group that played on this night: http://www.surfacepressure.co.uk/found/fnd002/

:laughing:

I'm curious about the whole Damo Suzuki affair though. How does a night work that is about a man that used to be in Can but now rejects anything to do with it' date=' apprently, yet his tours and gigs are filled with Can fans and the music, I assume, is played by those that know the bands work and in some way want to emulate...

J[/quote']

I dont know if "emulate" would be the right word for it, but the influence of Can, I'm sure, is never far away to begin with, but once the playing starts I'd say it depends on the character of the muscians involved.

The one Damo gig I was at took on a life of it's own in my opinion, maybe this is when it works best and is also what Damo is hoping for. :up:

Ie: the group that played on this night: http://www.surfacepressure.co.uk/found/fnd002/

:laughing:

That will be one of the nights indeed... I remember however, a DRN, gig with your goodself and Mr J Wilkie etc being a 99% blinder. I have a tape of this somewhere and there are some fab moments that would make great songs... Cough... Oooooh... (opens Garageband and plugs in keyboard)

:love:

Brilliant gig. Plus there's not many occasions I can get away with wearing a fez behind the bar for half the night.

that was you? why i thought it was Tommy Cooper in disguise.

Amazing gig was really getting into it when it finished so a might dissapointed at that AKA The Fox played a blinder too, as well as Copy Ha Ho and Katherine Sawyers. Amazingly I showed up an hour late and still managed to see every act on the bill.

That will be one of the nights indeed... I remember however' date=' a DRN, gig with your goodself and Mr J Wilkie etc being a 99% blinder. I have a tape of this somewhere and there are some fab moments that would make great songs... Cough... Oooooh... (opens Garageband and plugs in keyboard)

:love:[/quote']

You know, playing with two members of Atom Flask, I felt ace/chuffed!!! 8)

Twoback Joe is correct about the 'hit or miss' aspect of the live improvising......we didn't have a clue about what we'd play apart from the fact it would start in Am' date=' then gravitiate to G before swinging round to D. BUT it was a whole lot of fun flying by the seat of our pants......luckily it seems some other folks enjoyed it too. Personally I was chuffed at Cloud's reaction on the night. Being compared to Hog was also a high point!

Knowing us, however, it could easily have been a horrible experience ;)[/quote']

I take it the comparison wasnt regarding hair hehe