aberdeen-music

Electro Harmonix...

Tav

Has anyone got an experience with any of the valve based Electro harmonix pedals. The Black Finger compression, Hot Tubes Overdrive/Distortion or the LPB-2 pre-amp? I am trying to find a way of injecting some valve tones into an solid state set up and thought these might be the way to go.

I am looking for warm clean rythmn tones, typical valve over drive from light to heavy. Think Pearl Jam for the most part if you can. Not wanting too much of a big muff sound as I already have one.

So people opinions on the effects pedals if any? Or possibly any other suggestions for getting some tubey lighter overdrive without shelling out for a tube amp...not an option currently.

Originally posted by Tav:

Has anyone got an experience with any of the valve based Electro harmonix pedals. The Black Finger compression, Hot Tubes Overdrive/Distortion or the LPB-2 pre-amp? I am trying to find a way of injecting some valve tones into an solid state set up and thought these might be the way to go.

I am looking for warm clean rythmn tones, typical valve over drive from light to heavy. Think Pearl Jam for the most part if you can. Not wanting too much of a big muff sound as I already have one.

So people opinions on the effects pedals if any? Or possibly any other suggestions for getting some tubey lighter overdrive without shelling out for a tube amp...not an option currently.

What's wrong with solid state. Why don't you go down the digital route, I've heard they're very good.:D

I don't want solid state sound I want valve sound...either from some valve pedals or a the Vox Valtronix Digital Effects unit that has the valve in it.

Hot tubes are suppose to be good for many different types of overdrive I just want to know if they are going to work with the kind I want, I don't want big muff fuzz from it...just lovely valve overdrive. I am planning on going in and seeing if RnB's have the partciular pedals in stock/try them out.

I don't want solid state sound I want valve sound...either from some valve pedals or a the Vox Valtronix Digital Effects unit that has the valve in it.

Hot tubes are suppose to be good for many different types of overdrive I just want to know if they are going to work with the kind I want, I don't want big muff fuzz from it...just lovely valve overdrive. I am planning on going in and seeing if RnB's have the partciular pedals in stock/try them out.

Do you not get the irony of your post. It was only a week or two ago that you were defending solid state and digital amp sims, now you want valve sound.

If you just want a lovely valve sound, the only answer is a lovely valve amp. Nothing else cuts the mustard.

Originally posted by soundian:

Do you not get the irony of your post. It was only a week or two ago that you were defending solid state and digital amp sims, now you want valve sound.

If you just want a lovely valve sound, the only answer is a lovely valve amp. Nothing else cuts the mustard.

And lovely valve amps cost lovely amounts of money.

Exactly..I am defending digital..I am tempted by the vox valvetronix thing with the real tube in it. I also like solid state amps...just happens to get the Pearl Jam sound I need a valve or a good emulation of one.

the valve in the vox valetronix stuff is basically there for show... i dont think it really adds much to the sound, as for the valvetronix in general, the reviews very widely from perfect 5 star reviews (from guitar mags :rolleyes: and other suck 'impartial sources') and amusingly crappy... so i wouldnt rely on one of them for a 'valve' sound

for a valve amp on the cheap, try Laneys LC15, LC15R, LC30 and LC50 for cheap but decent sounding valve amps (according to everyone i know whos tryed them)

David

There's so many options. All I want is a real valve amp like a Hi-Watt, Orange or Marshall but some other options seem to come close for good money. I heard a pod for the first time today and I was impressed. Might get one or a Vox Tone Lab to tide me over untill I can afford the real deal.

try and get a chance to play with a Behringer Vamp2. i know many people who own them (and own one myself) and everyone seems to love them. the general concensus is that the amp sims are just as good as a pod (if not better) and they are much much cheaper...which leaves you with more cash towards the upgrade to a valve amp

best idea is to try and get a shot of one, and if possible, a/b them against all the others (POD, tonelabs) to see what you like best

David

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a good valve amp for under the price of those PODs or Valvetronix things.

Get one on Ebay.

Go for a Carlsboro or a Selmer Treble + Bass or just any valve amp, and crank it up and run a Boss DS-1 or Guv'nor2 into it.

Here's a thing called a Red Bear:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3710737539&category=10171&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

And a Laney AOR - these things are good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3711270390&category=10171&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

In fact, I'll sell you a 1978 Marshall JMP 50W head for 300. Comes in a homemade plywood box, but sounds the business. Used on all our recordings, and I've been gigging with it for two years. Sounds shit hot.

See the mp3s in my signature.