aberdeen-music

Speed or skill

The Milner

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most guitar players love to see someone playing fast and accurately, and those that say they don't are lying!

It's horses for courses really. Some people just aren't capable of playing very fast. It's like asking who's the better runner - the 100m world record holder or the 10,000m world record holder. Both are the best there has ever been in their discipline, but they will never hold world records in both!!

So a good test for how good you are would be to say how well you disguise the guitar wank.

A bad player, just playing fast will be instantly recognisable - basically playing a warm up exercise as a solo or mindlessly running up and down a scale like a yo-yo. A few local bands are very guilty of this and it's quite apparent.

However, a good player - will still have this speed, but you will see him do all manner of things to break the mould. No warmup exercise solos here.

Keef Richards solo in Gimme Shleter. About 3 or 4 notes' date=' no "speed"

what-so-ever. Fucking great solo! Same for Sympathey For The Devil. Mick Taylor however..... This speed argument is just used by metal wanks who try to show off their supposed superiority to friends and other musicians. Get a grip! Most musicians who put their minds to it would be able to play 3000 notes per second, but who'd want to![/quote']

Here here. Also, I would say that the ability to play at "speed" is as much a physical ability as it is a technical ability, ie I can play fast if I want to but physically I couldn't shred on bass for say 10 minutes without my hand cramping up.

So a good test for how good you are would be to say how well you disguise the guitar wank.

A bad player' date=' just playing fast will be instantly recognisable - basically playing a warm up exercise as a solo or mindlessly running up and down a scale like a yo-yo. A few local bands are very guilty of this and it's quite apparent.

However, a good player - will still have this speed, but you will see him do all manner of things to break the mould. No warmup exercise solos here.[/quote']

Took the words right out of my mouth :D That is precisely the point I was trying to make.

Andy