aberdeen-music

Best place to get gigs?

UFB

Could anyone name the best places to get gigs in and around aberdeen?

We are a three piece grunge(sih) band, and have played gigs at the lemon tree and Drummonds.

If anyone is interested in giving us a gig please give me your details and i can send you a demo cd.

Oh and we are called Junk Dust.

Cheers

We are a three piece grunge(sih) band' date=' and have played gigs at the lemon tree and Drummonds.

If anyone is interested in giving us a gig please give me your details and i can send you a demo cd.

Cheers[/quote']

Lazy Gubber. Go do your research :)

Let's see..

Hand in demo CD's to any venue you can find, there's plenty of them in Aberdeen - such as Moshulu, The Loft, Kef, The Tunnels. There's more than that, so have a look around and hand a CD in.

Then go and contact the promoters in Aberdeen - go down to the Tunnels and get the promoters details there, and get a cd to all of them. Do the same with Drummonds and the Lemon Tree.

Then come on here, do a search for "promoter" and get contact details for them - examples of people you can contact on here are people like kirkt (Good for Nothing?), Arkade Projects (unsurprisingly the promotions of the same name), RicoAUBL (the AUBL), The Ghost of Fudge (Fudge) and so on.

Then finally, give CD's to anyone and everyone who might hand it onto someone else - the trick is to get your name out there, so people will know and have heard of you.

I'd also recommend doing your own night somewhere so you can get an idea of how a promoter thinks, and adjust your "sell" of your band accordingly.

Also, network with as many people as you can - and get to know people. Do them little favours here and there, and critically, always be reasonable about things - unless someone tries to rip you off. If you're supposed to play for half an hour, but only get 20 minutes in the end, just accept that these things happen. A laid back, friendly attitude will get you places, as will being utterly professional. Don't get upset over things, if you get paid peanuts because the gig did badly, just accept it with a smile. A good attitude is invaluable, you can't buy it - and of course it helps when person A says to person B "hey, I need a band, any ideas?" "oh yeah, there's that band, they're really nice guys and very professional"..see?

If you need any more advice, feel free to ask :)

Let's see..

Hand in demo CD's to any venue you can find' date=' there's plenty of them in Aberdeen - such as Moshulu, The Loft, Kef, The Tunnels. There's more than that, so have a look around and hand a CD in.[/quote']

Most places you don't even need a CD but a band.

Drummonds IS A GREAT PLACE TO PLAY :)

Hey, nothing wrong with getting a CD out there, who knows who might listen to it?

Drummonds imo is so-so, perhaps it's the faded decor, but it feels rather dated compared to other places.

The other bit of advice - before accepting a booking anywhere, I would strongly recommend coming on here and checking out what people have to say about said promoter/venue/etc.

Hey' date=' nothing wrong with getting a CD out there, who knows who might listen to it?

Drummonds imo is so-so, perhaps it's the faded decor, but it feels rather dated compared to other places.

The other bit of advice - before accepting a booking anywhere, I would strongly recommend coming on here and checking out what people have to say about said promoter/venue/etc.[/quote']

The thing wrong with Drummonds is that msot people come into Drummonds to have a few drinks not listen to the bands so you don't get much of an audience really in my opinion.

i think atmosphere wise i've always found drummonds to be the best, but lets face it, the place is still a shit hole...it's still my fav venue though!

the tunnels rocks, but i dont think it is ever really bussy enough, the only time i have ever seen it anywhere near full capacity was at the x-certs bye-bye gig..!

i think atmosphere wise i've always found drummonds to be the best' date=' but lets face it, the place is still a shit hole...it's still my fav venue though!

the tunnels rocks, but i dont think it is ever really bussy enough, the only time i have ever seen it anywhere near full capacity was at the x-certs bye-bye gig..![/quote']

and the foyerlive gig april 8th 05

We are a three piece grunge(sih) band' date=' and have played gigs at the lemon tree and Drummonds.

Cheers[/quote']

aye aye steve, you lazy bugger go out an ask or has your teuchter ass forgotten where gigs are played in aberdeen?

:girl: