aberdeen-music

Who has the best metal guitar sound ever?

Hog

Some notable faves of mine

Dime (RIP)- Solid! The end of Domination! phew, Dean guitars with Randall although he did use Cranks

Devin Townsend, SYL, EMG Pickups, ESP guitars, Mesa Boogie and Peavey 5150 amps.

Hetfield- ESP Guitars, not sure what amps

Mustaine- I liked the Rust in Peace and Countdown guitar sounds the best, Jackson guitars now using ESP's

Guest Gregor Ascension
Not sure if this counts as metal but Scott Hull has an amazing tone' date=' like a rusty razor blade.

The guy from hypocrisy(sp) also has a geat tone.[/quote']

Hypocrisy are ace (FIRE IN THE SKY!!!), but i wouldnt say that the guy has the best metal tone. its like a black hole that sucks all sound in to it! brutal, but not the greatest.

Hetfield - DEFINATLY NOT. have you heard the ...and justice for all album? is it just me or is the guitar tone and production of that album disgustingly amature?

Shaffer maybe. His work with Demons and Wizards is the perfect amount of heavy, and although not the most technicaly accomplished player, the riff are awesome and fit perfectly. If you dont believe me check out The Gunslinger or Dorian.

Mesa Boogie Mark III around the AJFA period. Combination of Diezel VH-4 and Mesa Rectifiers/TriAxis just now.

Killswitch Engage: Not sure of their names but incredible sound!

Caparison Guitars and Framus Cobra amps. It sounds cool I think.

Hetfield - DEFINATLY NOT. have you heard the ...and justice for all album? is it just me or is the guitar tone and production of that album disgustingly amature?

Some of Hetfield's rhythm tones are near impossible to beat for metal.

Perfect example: Live Shit: Bing & Purge, San Diego. Creeping Death. The riff with Hetfield playing on his own (main riff). That tone owns!

But yes you are correct, the production on AJFA was horrific. That (for songs) is my favourite Metallica album.

I think that as far as lead tones go, Zakk Wylde and Dimebag have the best. With DamagePlan, Dime's tone wasn't AS good. Just listen to Trendkill (any of it) or the solo in Walk for examples. As for Zakk, crushing!

Rhythm tone: Hetfield around Black Album time was good, it's a bit off nowadays though.

Also, Pissing Razors have a GREAT rhythm tone, very powerful. It's a combo of ESP, EMG and Mesa. A combo I use and love!

Mesa Boogie Mark III around the AJFA period. Combination of Diezel VH-4 and Mesa Rectifiers/TriAxis just now.

Caparison Guitars and Framus Cobra amps. It sounds cool I think.

Some of Hetfield's rhythm tones are near impossible to beat for metal.

Perfect example: Live Shit: Bing & Purge' date=' San Diego. Creeping Death. The riff with Hetfield playing on his own (main riff). That tone owns!

But yes you are correct, the production on AJFA was horrific. That (for songs) is my favourite Metallica album.

I think that as far as lead tones go, Zakk Wylde and Dimebag have the best. With DamagePlan, Dime's tone wasn't AS good. Just listen to Trendkill (any of it) or the solo in Walk for examples. As for Zakk, crushing!

Rhythm tone: Hetfield around Black Album time was good, it's a bit off nowadays though.

Also, Pissing Razors have a GREAT rhythm tone, very powerful. It's a combo of ESP, EMG and Mesa. A combo I use and love![/quote']

I want a mesa but they kind of cost a lot of money

Some notable faves of mine

Dime (RIP)- Solid! The end of Domination! phew' date=' Dean guitars with Randall although he did use Cranks

Devin Townsend, SYL, EMG Pickups, ESP guitars, Mesa Boogie and Peavey 5150 amps.

Mustaine- I liked the Rust in Peace and Countdown guitar sounds the best, Jackson guitars now using ESP's[/quote']

Those guys are all shite, obviously your sound in element is the most important sound in metal the world over. :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon: