aberdeen-music

October 13th John Peel Day @ The Forum

As the BBC have announced a special John Peel Day on Thursday October 13th I have decided to put on an event for Aberdeen which will be held at the Forum Club, to celebrate one of music's most important figures.

The plan is to have a handful of bands playing with a dj set of John Peel related music, imagery and sounds.

Featuring:

Steven Milne (The Little Kicks)

The 55's

The A Forest

Stroszek

Copy Haho

DJ Set by Dave Milne.

All proceeds go to Amnesty International (a charity supported by Peel)

I will post more information as it is available.

If you could post your thoughts on such an event then please do just so i know how interested people are. Other ideas for the night would be welcomed also

Many Thanks

*EDITED*

I am in the process of organising an event to coincide with the BBC's John Peel day and this will be held at the Forum club on Thursday October 13th.

The plan is to play 4 or 5 new local bands with a dj set of John Peel related music' date=' John Peel imagery and sounds and all proceeds to an as yet unconfirmed charity, in appreciation to John Peels importance in music over the decades. It will probably only be a few pounds to get in and it will be a great event so well worth coming down. The BBC are also interested in any venues putting on an event so maybe a bit of coverage for Aberdeen.

Confirmed to play so far:

Steven Milne (The Little Kicks)

Stroszek

(3 more TBC)

DJ Set by Dave Milne.

Im excited by the other bands that might be playing also, but I just need to confirm and hopefully will do in the next few days.

I will post more information as it is available.

If you could post your thoughts on such an event then please do just so i know how interested people are. Other ideas for the night would be welcomed also

Many Thanks[/quote']

great to see this happen............ Peel championed ALL genres of contemporary

music, lets hope you final selection includes diversity, rather than bland??????

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment it is. I have had to wait too long for some bands who have eventually said they cant do it, which is a shame because If the current bands waiting to confirm dont then i wont put it on. Got the potential to be a good night. The Forum is a big venue so need to get the right people in. Will keep you posted though.

If it is going ahead let me know, as I have downloaded the offical "John Peel Day" banners from Radio One and could enlarge to A0 size and get them printed off.

Even if only a couple of bands play it would be a great night if there are a few DJ's thrown in as well. Peel needs to be remembered and I'm sure if folk could made the effort to come along they would find something to enjoy - the key to Peel was diversity.

I hope something can be finalised soon.

Guest Les Stroszek

Well the 55s sound really quite exciting and Im looking forward to playing with them. Rich is talking to another band also which I really do hope comes off cause I've been wanting to see them play for a while and they make wonderful beautiful music. Its shaping up to be an interesting and varied night which is kinda what a John Peel night should be so I would expect to see all these people who say they love the local scene down at The Forum for John Peel day!

Guest Les Stroszek

We'll It depends upon there being a space but if there is I think they will be a band that we'll consider. Richeys organising it but I'll put the name to him. Hopefully they would be available. Just wondering why we never though of them before...

Any more suggestions/comments about the event would be warmly appreciated as we want to make this as special an occasion as we can.

Copy haho are added to the night.

This will be the final line-up

There is still one band I am hoping will play but wont know until nearer the time. If they play they play if not, not. It will be a bit short notice so if they dont play I dont think they will be replaced. Thanks to all the suggestions on here. I have taken note of them, despite not being able to reply. Been busy. Any more suggestions would be welcome as i want a lot of people to input what they can.

Door entry will be 4-5

I hope that as many people can come along to this gig as possible and show a collective Aberdeen appreciation to John Peel and put aside all the usual sniping that goes on. Most of us wouldnt be so passionate about music if it wasnt for this man and what he did for the bands we love.

I also hope that everyone will stay around after the bands finish and enjoy the evening of music and visuals. It is open til 2am and Dave Milne will be on the decks so everyone should stay and make this a special night.

The A Forest will also play the John Peel Night.

www.myspace.com/theaforest

This really is the last band to confirm! Also, as Amnesty International have prevented me from advertising the gig properly up until now because of the strict processes they go through just for me to be able to use their logo, I can add them onto the posters etc!

What a lot of hassle just for one logo!

I dare say you've got tons of Peel-related music lined up, but if you need any of the earlier quietish/obscure stuff he championed, I've got a good collection, and could copy some onto CD if required. Stuff which appeared on Peel's Dandelion label, like Bridget St John, Kevin Coyne, Beau, the Occasional Word, Lol Coxhill, Mike Hart, Gene Vincent, etc, plus lots of other things he liked, eg Ivor Cutler, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Tim Buckley, the Incredible String Band etc

(and, remember kids...the Kitchen Cynics were played on Peel!)

I dare say you've got tons of Peel-related music lined up' date=' but if you need any of the earlier quietish/obscure stuff he championed, I've got a good collection, and could copy some onto CD if required. Stuff which appeared on Peel's Dandelion label, like Bridget St John, Kevin Coyne, Beau, the Occasional Word, Lol Coxhill, Mike Hart, Gene Vincent, etc, plus lots of other things he liked, eg Ivor Cutler, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Tim Buckley, the Incredible String Band etc

(and, remember kids...the Kitchen Cynics were played on Peel!)[/quote']

Alan keep some of these for Friday 13th Oct 2006 ( SIX ), which has already been earmarked

as interesting music's John Peel tribute night.

very special plans being hatched!!!!!!!

(and, remember kids...the Kitchen Cynics were played on Peel!)

You're beginning to make me feel guilty now!

There was a lot of people I took into consideration to play. I even think 5 bands may be pushing it slighlty. But there is only a limited amount of time to do what we can. To be honest, the reaction to Peel Day in Scotland seems somewhat pathetic. There's not actually that many places that are bothering to put anything on for it which is a massive shame. So going to try and make the most of it.

Let's hope John Peel Day remains an important annual event. It would be a travesty if if it didn't.

Don't feel guilty' date=' Richey,....your original post mentioned 'young bands', which I'm not! I like the look of the line-up, esp. copy Ha Ho, so should be in attendance anyway :up:

[/quote']

interesting music applaud your efforts & will be out to support your efforts on behalf

our much missed main man

Just to let people know, I have managed to negotiate some cheaper lager prices at the Forum for the gig. So people won't have to pay inflated gig venue prices that almost hit the the 3 mark. So the prices of lager are down to regular pub prices, which is a bonus and very kind of the Forum.

Also, here are some links to do with the event that people may find interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/johnpeel/johnpeelday/gigs_scotland.shtml

As you can see. Not a lot of gigs happening north of Edinburgh and Glasgow, which is a shame.

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/scotland/events/

Guest Les Stroszek
Hi. We're looking forward to playing' date=' just took a while to get us all confirmed. As for the lack of stuff going on in Scotland, i'd toyed with the idea of organising something in Dundee, but then your offer came along.[/quote']

Hey really looking forward to playing with you guys. I've been meaning to catch you guys the last few times you've been up but havin't been able to make it for various reasons. I really like your Myspace stuff.

I'd never been in to the Forum untill yesterday and I've got to say its stage is massive. Think anyone would be very seriously injured if they fell off that stage!

This should maybe go in another thread, but...

what do people think about The Forum as a gig venue? I know in the past they have had a couple of big bands there and recently missed out on the Babyshambles gig.

Personally, I think this is one of the biggest and best venues Aberdeen has. I work in the restaurant upstairs and also in The Forum sometimes and it seems ideal. looking at what Moshulu has done the past year or so i think this place is horrendously under-used in terms of bands. With an upgrade in equipment for the place it is a potential gold-mine (as I keep telling the owner!)

Anyone been there for gigs or events or just the Vegas night? They even have a cinema-sized screen in there that they show the Scotland matches on. Will be good with all the John Peel images. Local artist karina Macindoe is doing the visuals for that btw.

Regarding the forum-I used to go there quite a lot. Have been there for a few gigs - lee scratch perry and richey hawtin. I think its a great venue, there is a very spacious feel . It is a shame its not used for more events. what would be good is if there were more local band nights (in the same vein as thursdays event)with say five or six bands who maybe share similar artistic leanings----with a different dj every time.

John Peel Day event is hopefully the start of something new in aberdeen. Its something Im sure he would approve of!