aberdeen-music

fat person sues doctor for telling her she is obese

Stripey

ok, i totally disagree with the name calling, BUT, half of these people allow themselves to get into these "situations"....a lot of fat peeps eat and eat and dont give a shit and dont bother excercising, but yes there are also those who are born with unfortunate circumstances where they are unable to control their weight - so the whole name calling goes to shit, theres no need coz no-one knows exactly what is wrong with them - whether they're lazy bastards or medically challenged

Guest AmbientMood

But seriously' date=' how can you possibly sue someone for name calling?

Judge: Did you call her fat?

Doctor: No.[/quote']

'fat' shouldn't be offensive. Womens' vanity has turned the word 'fat' into an insult.

The growing problem of obesity lies with the parents. Too many parents these days do not or cannot provide a healthy balanced diet for their children. Some of it is to do with poverty which the world as a whole has to deal with. The other is parental care where by some parents do not know what is a healthy diet.

Exercise is another main factor. Gone are the days where you see children playing in the streets & parks enjoying the outdoors. Computer games and consoles are now the norm where most children that end up being obese, spend around 90% of their free time in front of a TV/Monitor.

So what can be done to help parents tackle obesity:

• NHS Health Visitors are now providing advice to better educate parents during first few years of childhood using as many means possible.
  • The Education department are now seeing sense and are trying their best to provide healthy nutritional school dinners.

So what else needs to be done.

• Physical education needs to play a greater part in a young childs life before and during primary school, this needs to be addressed by the Education department.
  • Some parents are still found to be illiterate, which means they cant read any of the leaflets that do provide advice. This needs to be addressed by both the NHS and the education department to help these people.
  • The media need to take a greater responsibility for ensuring they dont advertise junk food when childrens programmes are on TV. This one of the worst cuplrits for infulencing children on what they should be eating.

Finally, suing people doesnt get rid of the problem, people that are still obese after childhood need help to take responsibility for their own health, whether that be by their friends, family or their doctor.

I am disgusted at the amount of horrible things said in this thread' date=' do you people know how hard it is to lose weight, and how easy it is to eat crap when you are surrounded by this negative shit that people give out.

One woman complains so people with weight problems are basically slated - this is a peace of shit. The sitution at the moment wth changing school meals and the likes proves that the junk we give kids is addictive no wonder when they get older its like lets blame someone.

and some docs can be very unkind in their approach to obesity.[/quote']

I agree with some of what you've said here, but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Sometimes people are so much in denial, that they can't see it until you slap it right across their face. And I ate shitty food at school. But I've never been obese. I'm maybe a stone or so overweight - nothing overly noticeable - but I can see that for myself and have started losing some of it. But I've never let anything get so out of control. You're right, weight loss is hard, but if you want to avoid crap, stop buying it! Then when you reach for a bar of chocolate, it ain't there! So if you must have it, at least you have to get off your ass to go and buy it, taking a little exercise in the process. I don't harte obese people or have any problem as such, I just feel it's un-necessary and it'll end up killing people in the end.

Andy

I agree with some of what you've said here' date=' but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Sometimes people are so much in denial, that they can't see it until you slap it right across their face. And I ate shitty food at school. But I've never been obese. I'm maybe a stone or so overweight - nothing overly noticeable - but I can see that for myself and have started losing some of it. But I've never let anything get so out of control. You're right, weight loss is hard, but if you want to avoid crap, stop buying it! Then when you reach for a bar of chocolate, it ain't there! So if you must have it, at least you have to get off your ass to go and buy it, taking a little exercise in the process. I don't harte obese people or have any problem as such, I just feel it's un-necessary and it'll end up killing people in the end.

Andy[/quote']

I hear what you are saying and its nice to see a reply with no insult. The school lunch thing is just an excample this shit food is addictive, I find it difficult not to buy it but it also hard when you see friends who can pile away a hell of alot more and still look like stick insects.

Guest bluesxman

I remember flicking through some Cosmo type magazine purchased by my girlfriend, on one page there was a huge piece on how it should be a basic requirement of a man to ensure that he put in some effort to keeping in shape and looking good for his woman, because she deserves it. Two pages later was a piece on how men should just accept a woman with all her flaws as it's just too much to expect them to have time to keep on top of it all - double standards......being drawn into a discussion on the subject of being fat is always fun, akin to walking along a narrow wall with all sorts of nasty sharp stuff on one side and fluffy cushions on the other - but there is usually a slope to the nasty side, just waiting for you to trip up!