aberdeen-music

Photography

Dinosaur

5. NEVER volunteer to carry the large format 'flight case' when you're going out on location.

6. Try and get Colin to review you're work. I found Sheila to be a bit too critical. However, all the tutors are ace as fuck.

7. Buy plastic neg sheets as opposed to paper ones.

Most importantly, make sure you've always got enough darkroom paper. You will go through a daft amount of the stuff just doing test strips.

Oh and one more thing, try and buy as much film and paper as you can before you begin the course. We (Jessops) always seem to run low on these after about 2 months of college starting.

Well, you're better off starting with a fully manual camera. Something like an Olympus OM10 or a Pentax ME Super. These are old cameras but are solid, good quality, fairly cheap nowadays and will give you the chance to learn the basic functions of a camera. My advice would be to start off using one of these then, if you have the cash go for an autofocus SLR like the Canon EOS 300X or a Nikon F55. again, these have full manual control but can switch to full auto if you choose. Don't go overboard with the spending on a camera though. See how you get on with a basic one then 'upgrade'. Soon, you'll be using one of these like me :D

add02-001.jpg

I wish. but yeah, you can pick up an Olympus OM10 + 50mm lens for about 80. My work has an ace range of second hand equipment you might want to check out.

Cheers,

Craig

don't buy from jessops unless you need it fast. 7 day shop are good for buying in bulk and are a lot cheaper.

http://www.7dayshop.com/

don't get too annoyed with sheila if you think she's too critical, she's a lovely lady really and is damned good at spotting colour discrepencies when you start doing colour after christmas.

if there's a particular photographer you have an interest in then speak to russell about them and he might be able to help you get similar results, he's a phography buff and is eagar to help. he complained last year that hardly any of us came to him asking how to get results similar to our favourite photographers so he's obviously keen to help in that area.

don't waste money on a digital slr at the moment, get a good manual slr and if you can pick up a cheap medium format you'll have an easier time after christmas as well. the college has around 20 digital slr's that can be borrowed but only 2 medium format cameras that you can take out with 3 hnc/hnd classes fighting over them.

most important thing is just to have fun and don't let the college get you down(it has that effect on folks). don't be scared of the people in second year, we're a friendly bunch and will gladly help if we can. just ask nicely. oh, and be polite and nice to gordon the technician and he'll be nice to you.

I'm just about to start the introductory Photography course this Tuesday! I have all my things, but I still need a Lupe. Jessops didn't have when I was there (boo!!)

I appear to be in the same class as Rach69's boyfriend.....

Sheila is very critical but she knows a lot and is passionate (especially if you take good pics). Richard is the more technically minded guy and Colin is a bit of both.

Get a decent camera and use the manual settings. Experiment with focus, exposure, apertures etc. I have been a photographer for 5 years and still look for ways to improve by taking pics that might work or might not work.

The HND course is good, dont be afraid to ask the Lecturers questions, they know shit loads about photography.

PS, Gordon isnt a bad lad :D

7. Buy plastic neg sheets as opposed to paper ones.

Sorry disagree with you there, the plastic ones generate static and tend to scratch your negs more!

Photo Factory on Bridge St do an excellent 1hr dev only service for 2.50/roll both medium format + 35mm colour + b&w and theyll chop yer negs in 6s. Ideal if you are in a rush

Buy Nikon! Buy a Lomo + Holga!

Sorry disagree with you there' date=' the plastic ones generate static and tend to scratch your negs more!

Photo Factory on Bridge St do an excellent 1hr dev only service for 2.50/roll both medium format + 35mm colour + b&w and theyll chop yer negs in 6s. Ideal if you are in a rush

Buy Nikon! Buy a Lomo + Holga![/quote']

Nikon are crap compared to Canon

Im trying to save up for the Nikon D2X....its only around 3500

failing that i'm going to settle for the Nikon D70 which is around 800

I was always told to start off on 35mm and learn the basics of photography...the most important thing being lighting. As that pretty much will make or break a photo.

I still reckon 35mm will out last the digital camera....its so much more fun being in the darkroom developing prints rather than pressing the print button.

Having a decent light source is a good help. But the most usefull thing to have is an eye for photography. This is what determines good photography from mediocre. I personally use film and digital because to me, the format on what I shoot is irrelavent. I agree though, being in the darkroom is good fun, but from a proffesional point of few - digital is the way to be.

For those of you about to embark on a photography course, remember - there is A LOT of theory to get your head around, but it is worth it. Enjoy :cheers:

See you tomorrow then Amy! ^_^

I've been told I should get my hands on a Nikon F55 as it's probably the best camera for begginers and it's relatively cheap. Anyone offer some other examples? Or is this the best to go for?

I might be wrong but I think there is only a limited amount of Nikkor lens that are compatible with the F55 and it has all these preset modes on it. Id recommend getting your hands on a cheap second-hand F80 fantastic entry level to advance model. You will quickly get good results with this camera. And you will be able to use any Nikkor lens from nineteen-oatcake to now.

Nikon Rocks :rockon: