aberdeen-music

radiohead

Guest neil ex

It's impossible to really make a list of Radiohead songs that you can say are definitely your favourites, but that looks like a pretty good list to me, Stephen.

Just off the top of my head, my 'current' faves are probably:

-The Pyramid Song

-Like Spinning Plates

-Exit Music

-Motion Picture Soundtrack

-Everything In It's Right Place

-The National Anthem

-Paranoid Android

-Fake Plastic Trees

-Kid A

-You Never Wash Up After Yourself

-Hunting Bears

-Packt Like Sardines....

-Life In A Glasshouse

-One from 'Hail to the Thief' (Probably 2+2=5 or Sit Down, Stand Up)

-The one from 'Hail to the Thief' where Thom Yorke sings "I will eat you alive" a lot.

There you go. Those are just the ones I'm listening to at the moment. Left out Street Spirit, 'cause it's getting a little bit boring. But they're all so fantastic.

It was very hard keeping it to only 15 songs but this is what i came up with.

there there

2+2=5

let down

my iron lung

the national anthem

sit down, stand up

everything in it's right place

exit music (for a film)

where i end and you begin

how to disappear completely

paranoid android

pyramid song

a wolf at the door

motion picture soundtrack

life in a glass house

i'd say that blow out was the best song on pablo honey

Guest neil ex

i'm finding it hard to narrow it down to 15 songs aswell..

songs i'd definately include would be

fake plastic trees

black star

paranoid android

exit music

karma police

climbing up the walls

how to disappear completely

idioteque

morning bell

sail to the moon

then there's a heap of songs i could put on it

i really feel like listening to hail to the theif right now, it's really grown on me, but i've lent it to my sister. damn!

erm,

none

maybe i think that cos i dont eat prozac and ive never attempted suicide and I cant relate to posh arty wankers being all deep, dark and spooky...

but me mum likes them

that album that everyone likes.....erm......the big hit one

i blame the menopause

are muse a thinking mans radiohead ???

i think so

(this is only an opinion.....something blatantly missing from these boreds lately)

Originally posted by betamax:

are muse a thinking mans radiohead ???

i think so

I can see arguments for and against this but my natural instict is to say o_O ?

It has to be the other wya around surely? Radiohead for the thinker. They're doing something and have done something different for over ten years. Are writing incredibly original music and causing stirs with each song and album. Plus there videos are legendary in their own right.

Don't get me wrong, i love muse to bits, but they take a shitload of influences from Radiohead (Showbiz was produced by the guy who did The bends, possibly OK computer too, at their request) and you can't say the vocals haven't absorbed a slight touch of Yorke.

Also, Radiohead came out ontop of Muse at the NME's in two categories (best album and vid i think) so, actually i don't know where i'm goign with that but, yeah...

I'll do the 'best of' soon. But i think it would have to have two releases inorder to cover both the singles and more popular b-sides or other album tracks.

Originally posted by torn:

I can see arguments for and against this but my natural instict is to say o_O ?

It has to be the other wya around surely? Radiohead for the thinker.

im also confused cos i think muse are fantastic and radiohead a bit dull

both i agree both are in similar territory

maybe radiohead songs seem to ask for sympathy and Muse songs usually go on the attack.....lyrically Im talking

its probably something like that

i also reckon Matt Bellamy vocals and piano/guitaring are way ahead of the watered down sonic youth guitar workouts of radiohead

if didnt exist I would probably think Radiohead were brilliant

the early stuff like creep etc is dire though

no way! the early stuff is the best though! particularly the b-sides and unreleased tracks. true enough, there are some noticeable radiohead influences in muse's music (especially on showbiz.. well.. just on showbiz really..) but other than that, i really cannot see where people get the comparisons from! radiohead were doing something different from everyone else and to be honest, i think jonny greenwood is a far better guitarist than matt bellamy (bearing in mind, i don't actually play guitar, so know very little about this area). don't get me wrong, i love muse, they're brilliant, and origin os symmetry was what really got me into them, but comparing radiohead to them just isn't.. right!

I wouldn't say that radiohead earlier stuff is better, i'd say ok computer, kid a and hail to the thief are by far their best albums. Muse are definitely influenced by radiohead although they only really sounded similar on showbiz, which is quite similar to the bends. I'd agree that jonny greenwood is a better guitarist than bellamy and i'd say that radioheads lyrics are much better, because some of muse's lyrics are pretty crap really.