aberdeen-music

I know nothing about WWI

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

I just realised that one of the only facts I know about World War I is that a man named Franz Ferdinand was killed and provoked something (and that just caught my attention because of the band!(which I don't really like))

Does anyone else think its rather suspect that literally everyone knows substantial amounts of WWII, but when it comes to the first war, its all pretty vague.

I guess its because of the lack of films and books that'd be popular to the viewer.

Do you know much about WWI? If so, tell us uninformed bunch.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I just realised that one of the only facts I know about World War I is that a man named Franz Ferdinand was killed and provoked something (and that just caught my attention because of the band!(which I don't really like))

Does anyone else think its rather suspect that literally everyone knows substantial amounts of WWII' date=' but when it comes to the first war, its all pretty vague.

I guess its because of the lack of films and books that'd be popular to the viewer.

Do you know much about WWI? If so, tell us uninformed bunch.[/quote']

The German Social-Democratic Party (pre-Communist Party) voted to grant the Reichstag the necessary war credits, only Karl Liebknecht abstained. This marked Lenin's final breach with the "renegade" Karl Kautsky, who until then had been revered as the "Pope of Marxism".

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary in Sarajevo caused a chain reaction where the Austia-Hungarian goverment, who had annexed Bosnia fired off ultimatums at the Bosnian Slavs, as a Slav was responsible for the assassination. Because of old treaties and the fact that the majority of Russia was made up of Slavish people meant the Tsar placed an ultimatum on Austria-Hungary telling them to stop oppressing the Bosnian Slaves. When Austia-Hungary failed to stop, Russia declared war on them. But then because of a treaty with A-H germany declared war on Russia, then because of a series of other ultimatums, France became involved and was invaded by germany. An allience between France and Britain, and jealous rivalry of Germany because both countries were competing in an Arms Race, Britain became involved and declared war on germany.

I think thats mostly correct. But standard grade history is a fuzzy memory now.

i read a book which had letters and diary entries from soldiers and civilians in WW1 from several different countries. it was a good read, im more interested about ww2 myself but it was interesting to read about experiences in WW1. trench warfare sounds horrible though, if you werent killed by the enemy you would probably end up being killed by a disease instead

Guest Gregor Ascension
WWI

WWII

But why is WWI documented so little' date=' yet lasting a year longer than II and with much more casualties?

.................maybe it just never happened....[/quote']

sorry mate, you are wrong. ww1 resulted in about 9 million fatalities. ww2 collectively resulted in 50 million deaths, about 30 million on the eastern front.

WWII was much much larger, involving japan and america for one...

the technology moved on in the intervening years, a lot of WWI was trench warfare, and the first main tanks and so on, WWII involved a lot more of the RAF, with bomber raids right into the heart of germany (and the luftwaffe bombing here) and of course the spitfire - one of the most cfamous aeroplanes in exsistance, and lots of stories from the atlantic - the nazi's hunting the allied aid convoys to britain, and the first u boats, and also the first atom bombs hailing the end of the wars (to of the worst single actions that happened)

there was also probably a bigger effect felt here, the luftwaffe bomber raids and the doodlebugs had the whole country blacked out and in fear of hearing the air raid sirens, and i think a lot more men being conscripted into the forces (look at how many died...)

WWI should never be overlooked, as it was a horrible tragedy, but WWII was a bigger event if you will (though a tasteless way to put it, i cant think of any better way to say it) and a lot more was written about it

David

Personally I find the motivations behind the second world war more interesting. WWI was all about Imperialism and Militirism not nearly as fascinating as Hitlers Motivation and the rest of the world recognising what he was doing was wrong and had to be stopped.

to me WWI was a pointless penis envy competition between Empires. Where WWII was about stopping the spread of evil