aberdeen-music

Bruce Millers fixed my amp....for how much?

48 just to look at it!!!!! and then a further 50 for parts.

its a fender de ville amp, and as of 3 days ago, the 1.6A fuse in the little fuse box blew up. I replaced it, but its replacement, and then its replacement blew up instantly.

I've paid the cost already, and the engineer told me that the problem was 'oh some of the components and the valves. the valves'

I believed him, but I wonder if someone here could explain exactly what it was that has happened? Do valves get a greater resistance as they get older? (limited physics knowledge here, folks) I've only owned it since December 03, should they be making my amp go kappow already?

cheers!

Guest lime ruined my life

i have nblown up valves in my amp and its still playing. It doesnt sound amazing, but it beats paying the 80 quid for new valves.

Bruce millars have a tendency to speak rubbish to customers about their broken amps.

around about 2-3 years is probably valve changing time, but if you don't have the money and the valves are still good, it's really just up to discretion. A busted valve wouldnt blow up the fuse when you turn it on, that's a sign of a problem elsewhere.

A busted valve CAN trip a fuse whilst there is nothing else wrong with the amp.

A certain person I know had the same problem, fuses kept blowing soon as they were replaced, he didn't even change all the valves just took some of his old ones and moved them around a bit, the amp has worked fine for a year since.

Guest DustyDeviada
um' date=' don't fenders come with a 5 year warranty?[/quote']

Warranties are crappy here compared to the states. For example, you get a lifetime warranty for Gibsons in the US, but not here.

Bruce millars have a tendency to speak rubbish to customers about their broken amps.

I take issue with that statement. There are three musicians in the TV Dept where the service desk is and all 3 of us know a shitload about amp maintainance etc. A knackered or old valve will trip your fuse. I agree with the guy who said shift them around a bit, it might work, sometimes moving things like that helps. You'd be surprised how much dust settles on contacts etc.

I don't agree with our pricing structures, but i don't set those.

Never take your amp to R&B.....unless you don't mind waiting 10 months to get it back.

I had to take my amp in to get repaired the same day I bought it...and its been a piece of shit since then...Aberdeen music shops all suck...One day I will have a direct with distributor dealership and sell on stuff without profit locally....one day

I take issue with that statement. There are three musicians in the TV Dept where the service desk is and all 3 of us know a shitload about amp maintainance etc. A knackered or old valve will trip your fuse. I agree with the guy who said shift them around a bit' date=' it might work, sometimes moving things like that helps. You'd be surprised how much dust settles on contacts etc.

I don't agree with our pricing structures, but i don't set those.[/quote']

i've heard many horror stories from bruce millars where they will refuse to let you talk to the technician, or ever give specific answers to what was wrong with the amp and what they did. I'm taking it the 3 of you arn't the technician who the amp is diagnosed/fixed by?

Yeah, a bad valve can blow a fuse and sometimes take some other components with it too. Sometimes even a power transformer.

If you've got a basic understanding of electronics lots of times you can do the testing and repair yourself. There's some great books to get you started, look here

www.jklutherie.com

to get a list of what's out there. I bet you can order them from amazon.

i've heard many horror stories from bruce millars where they will refuse to let you talk to the technician' date=' or ever give specific answers to what was wrong with the amp and what they did. I'm taking it the 3 of you arn't the technician who the amp is diagnosed/fixed by?[/quote']

No, we don't but the guys who do are fully qualified and certified technicians. But i am usually here to offer random advice too, and as i know a reasonable amount of backround to most of the repairs that happen in the department i am usually more than willing to give as detailed an explaination as i can. Mind you that depends on how much of an obstinate cunt the customer is. :D

No' date=' we don't but the guys who do are fully qualified and certified technicians. But i am usually here to offer random advice too, and as i know a reasonable amount of backround to most of the repairs that happen in the department i am usually more than willing to give as detailed an explaination as i can. Mind you that depends on how much of an obstinate cunt the customer is. :D[/quote']

it also depends on how much of an obstinate cunt the customer advisor is.

do you have no sympathy for the customers broken amp, and desire to talk to the technician who looked at it, instead of a 3rd party who usually gives a response like "broken valve" "broken components".

it also depends on how much of an obstinate cunt the customer advisor is.

do you have no sympathy for the customers broken amp' date=' and desire to talk to the technician who looked at it, instead of a 3rd party who usually gives a response like "broken valve" "broken components".[/quote']

That last comment was a joke (i guess the cheesy smilie was lost on you, sorry) very often the technicians will talk to anyone who wants to speak to them, however as with most things it's not always possible. And for the most part a "we replaced a (insert component here) and re-soldered a dry joint here" response is usually good enough for most people as going into much more detail usually results in confusing the customer. In other instances there would be more info given if it is at hand, you do understand that i am at the mercy of what information i have been given, though i will endeavour to appease any customers queries.

Very often the people who are booking in the equipment have little or no knowledge of the equipment other than on-off makes sound, try going into great depth with the ins and outs of repairs with someone like that. Mind you it does depend on who you get in the department, some are better at helping out folks than others, as with any job.