aberdeen-music

Today I received an email from a legend!

Hog

And lastly something profound -

Speed doesn't come without power' date=' stamina and technique, unless you uncapable of playing fast without triggers to hide your inconsistencies.

I've heard alot mentioned about certain metal drummers for instance who is the best, blah blah blah, and my opinion is that you may be able to play fast double bass, but if its stoppy starty and uneven, slow it down, because it sounds gash playing faster than your talent allows.

Fast does not equal good, technique and style allows this, i've seen bill bruford playing the slowest fills live that sounded and looked more impressive than the fastest doublebass![/quote']

Well said on that last part there.

Gangadeen's good, but he's not one of the best in the world, as faras I'm concerned. He's bridged off into a lot of electronic stuff now, which is good to see. Not that I'm putting him down directly, just that I think there are many, many better players around.

As for the triggers, if anything it's harder to play accuratley with triggers than a bass/basses with a standard mic set up.

Gene: I started off being a hand player' date=' because I was really into Neil Peart growing up. He was my first super duper favorite drummerafter Peter Criss, of course. I think Peter was everybodys favorite drummer, at least for guys my age. Neil was more of a hand guy. He played interesting stuff, but it was all understandable. It wasnt like he was playing real nutty stuff that you couldnt figure out.

As I got a little older, I started getting into double bass drummers like Cozy Powell, Rob Reiner from Anvil, Whacko Hunter from Raven, and Filthy Animal [Phil'] Taylor of Motrheadhe used to play a lot of fast double bass. I just started doing a lot of foot stuff, and after I started playing thrash metal it got to a point where I was like, Lets do some nutty kick drum patterns. My feet can do it, my brain tells my feet they can do it, so the skys the limit on both sides.

See the 08/2005 Modern Drummer Magazine for more of the story

Also worth noting Gene's heroes the late Cozy Powell and Neil Peart also rated Ian as one of the best, Cozy recommended Ian to replace him in one band when he left and Neil Peart and Ian are good friends, and once called Ian 'one of the most underated drummers in the world'.

If you're looking for more modern acts, look no further than Mike Portnoy who is a huge fan of Marillion (Dream Theater supported Marillion) and cites Ian as an influence.

This could go on for some time Hog... ;)

Cheers

Stuart

I've never seen Mr Hoghlan but the best live drummers I've ever seen were:

Cozy Powell

Ian Mosley

Andy Gangadeen

I've been lucky enough to see Andy Gangadeen about 9 times overall with the H Band and his solo act the Bays' date=' and he really is something to watch...

[url']http://www.thebays.com/

There are soundclips here !

Cheers

Stuart

I dont doubt that Gangadeen is a decent drummer, I just feel its overly harsh to say that Gene does nothing but play fast stuff with no style, he has come out with some very cool drum patterns.

I dont doubt that Gangadeen is a decent drummer' date=' I just feel its overly harsh to say that Gene does nothing but play fast stuff with no style, he has come out with some very cool drum patterns.[/quote']

Yes, i think it would be fair to say that anyone who plays a right handed drum kit, whilst playing left handed drum patterns with right handed flares is a bit better than standard!

I think its so typical of people to classify metal drummrs like this, i bet if he didnt play metal, people would say, how cool he is! He's like a Virgil Donati of the metal genre, its kinda like vaguely similar to the whole smoking debate -

Would people mind smoking, if it didnt smell of anything?

I'll let you be the judges!! :nono:

I've never seen Mr Hoghlan but the best live drummers I've ever seen were:

Cozy Powell

Ian Mosley

Andy Gangadeen

I've been lucky enough to see Andy Gangadeen about 9 times overall with the H Band and his solo act the Bays' date=' and he really is something to watch...

[url']http://www.thebays.com/

There are soundclips here !

Cheers

Stuart

Okay, a few others for ya to consider -

Gerry Brown

Virgil Donati

Danny Carey

Tris Imboden

And to bitch bit - These are the only true metal drummers i believe are the best all round , not only on speed, but style / artistic flare / intricasy-

Tomas Haake (Great off-beat drum patterns, 7/8 played to 3/4 timing, need i say more)

Nick Barker (Robotic timing, two handed ride patterns)

David Silveria (good use of triggers)

Pete Sandoval (Psycho)

Mike Portnoy (i know hes not metal, but he rawks!!)

Chris Wilkie (star, gel face, brutaliser, never moves while playing, so where does all the noise come from??) ha ha ha ha

Just joking on that last one bazz!!, but i'm not too shabby on the old pedals!

Yes' date=' i think it would be fair to say that anyone who plays a right handed drum kit, whilst playing left handed drum patterns with right handed flares is a bit better than standard!

I think its so typical of people to classify metal drummrs like this, i bet if he didnt play metal, people would say, how cool he is! He's like a Virgil Donati of the metal genre, its kinda like vaguely similar to the whole smoking debate -

Would people mind smoking, if it didnt smell of anything?

I'll let you be the judges!! :nono:[/quote']

Virgil is an amazing drummer who is sharing drum duties with Ryan Van Pooedroyen on the new Lalu album (french prog keyboard player). No doubt Jester wont like Ryan's drumming either because he has played a fast song! :D

http://www.centurymedia.de/century/mainarea/video.aspx?id=strapping_young_lad__relentless_23.rm

Tomas Haake (Great off-beat drum patterns' date=' 7/8 played to 3/4 timing, need i say more)

Nick Barker (Robotic timing, two handed ride patterns)

David Silveria (good use of triggers)

Pete Sandoval (Psycho)

Mike Portnoy (i know hes not metal, but he rawks!!)

Chris Wilkie (star, gel face, brutaliser, never moves while playing, so where does all the noise come from??) ha ha ha ha

Just joking on that last one bazz!!, but i'm not too shabby on the old pedals![/quote']

Add Hellhammer, Chris Adler, Abe Cunningham, Corey Pierce, The guy from Necrophagist, Derek Roddy, and a couple of others off my mind right now and that's a decent list.

Nothing to do with the manager' date=' I hate Steve Wilson who produced a lot of their stuff, and is a serious twat.

I'd say Milner's a better drummer :p

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

yes, but why does that matter? i also think steve wilson is a twat (but also a musical genius) as a person but the porcupine tree are a fanstastic band to listen to and have really influenced opeth in recet years. if it makes you feel any better Mr Wilson didnt produce the new opeth album.

and yes Gene is a great drummer but opeths REAL drummer Martin Lopez is even better ;)

yes' date=' but why does that matter? i also think steve wilson is a twat (but also a musical genius) as a person but the porcupine tree are a fanstastic band to listen to and have really influenced opeth in recet years. if it makes you feel any better Mr Wilson didnt produce the new opeth album.

and yes Gene is a great drummer but opeths REAL drummer Martin Lopez is even better ;)[/quote']

I've seen PT a few times, usually supporting but I did see their one and only Aberdeen performance about 8 years ago and I found them very dull. I have a few of their albums because they're the kind of band I feel I should like, but I can't.

Cheers

Stuart

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the LEGEND himself Neil Peart. Now this guy is a god. turthfully I have never heard a drummer who could out do him. But i'm just surprised not seeing him in this forum.

He was mentioned' date=' albeit in passing.

[url']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showpost.php?p=410500&postcount=27

Cheers

Stuart